Fight : EBMM CUTLASS vs SEREK LINCOLN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benko, Oct 4, 2022.

1. EBMM Cutlass

41 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. SEREK Lincoln

79 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    So, during Covid I started making and sharing some (humble) bass covers on my youtube channel, simple songs that I can learn, play and record within a couple of hours.

Today I covered Courtney Barnett's Elevator Operator, the bass is straight forward and a good head banging.

Recording the covers also allows me to rotate the collection and play the 4 strings I have (the music project I'm in is solely 5 strings), and today I could not really decide between my SEREK and my EBMM Cutlass so...I thought I would give it to the opinion of the TB community!

The original track :

Serek Lincoln (Serek P90 & Guild DS):

EBMM Cutlass:

Right after the recording I liked the Cutlass better, I struggled less than with the Serek and its special pickup configs to get something that I like...but after coming back, the Serek sounds pretty good too, less "in your face"

To your vote!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  2. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Oh man, both sound EPIC.

3. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Lobster nailed it. They both sound great. But I personally prefer the smoother tone of the Serek. That Serek on that track made me instantly think … Tina Weymouth . I like it !!! Wow!! That bass sounds fun.

The Cutlass is more aggressive and would probably be my choice if I was a pick player with a heavy hand.

4. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Woh, thanks. Yes indeed I wanted to play the Cutlass a bit aggressive and this is a little bit over the top, even finger style but I just love the way it breaks.

By the way both recording are through the DI of my Gallien Krueger Legacy 500, directly in the interface and no amp or cab sim, barely any EQ or compress

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  5. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Serek by a bit. The Cutlass is just is bit too grindy.

6. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    <3

LowEndLobster likes this.
  7. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I like Serek in that it has a more solid, gut punch kind of presence. Almost as if the Cutlass needs to have the action raised a little. I remember the first time I heard a Caprice live via my friend @armybass, how much I liked the subtle grind to it, but hearing these 2 back to back, I gotta admit I'd probably like the Serek more if I had to choose.

8. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    I am particularly interested in this comparison and will have to try my own test of my Lincoln with 2 Serek singles and my EBMM Caprice. No that I'll post it of course...just for me. But I do like the way the Serek sits in the mix and just is so fat sounding and smooth. It doesn't stand out in parts like your Cutlass (which still sounds good mind you). Just prefer the Lincoln in that context. I suspect I would prefer my Lincoln as well. Thanks for posting!

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    With this song, I like the attack of the Cutlass! Both sound great.

10. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Both sound great, but...

Even though the Cutlass is sitting a smidge louder in its mix, the tone sounds a little thin compared to the Lincoln.

If the Lincoln was sitting as high in the mix as the Cutlass, that's the one I'd go with. The Lincoln is fatter and thicker.

LadyLoveStingRay5 and Benko like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I prefer the P-Bass-like grind of the Cutlass. The good news? They both sound great. There's no "wrong" answer.

12. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Pittsburgh area
    In real life, both of these are good basses and you will probably like either one of them.

In these clips, there is no doubt that the Serek sounded bigger and fatter. One of my buddies has had a Serek for several years and he just loves it.

13. Isaac_James

Isaac_James

May 20, 2021
    Eugene, OR
    They both sound great, but I think for that bass line, in that song, the Lincoln wins.

LadyLoveStingRay5 and Benko like this.
  14. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'm curious about this one, the 2 serek single ones sound very different i think...and the Caprice too!

For that recording, the P90 is at 100% and i mixed the Guild DS at about 40%, it can sound really different with that pick up configuration but the DS is really hot and have a tendency to be too loud

15. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Courtney Barnett's bassist Bones Sloane seems to enjoy playing different gears : MIJ's jaguar, p-bass, ripper...lately he was using an Am Std Mustang Bass...so nothing tamed to begin with!

two fingers and wellshuxley like this.
  16. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    Yes, very different indeed.

How did you mix the pickups? Do you have a blend control rather than a 4-way selector switch?

17. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's VVT configuration, no selector or blend control.

I honestly don't play it much and rarely amplified so everytime i have to fiddle to find a good mix

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I like grindy - I say the Cutlass. Of course, it could be the strings....

Benko likes this.
  19. tminus10

tminus10 Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    As soon as you hit the first note on the Cutless I knew I liked the Serek by a wide margin

dieggsy, Benko and kumimajava like this.
  20. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Earth
    Great clips @Benko ! You and I are probably the only people on TB with both a Cutlass and a Lincoln. Love them both

Benko likes this.