1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Final choice....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merlijnverduin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. merlijnverduin

merlijnverduin

Oct 23, 2013
    Hello folks!

I am Merlijn and I'm 14 years old. I really like playing bass songs from:

Metallica
    Alter Bridge
    Avenged Sevenfold

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

But now I have a choice to make. I am searching for a new bass and I really like:

Traben Phoenix
    Sterling By Music Man Sub Ray 5

Can you give me and advice about this two basses or could you give me an advice about another bass in that price range.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Thanks and greetings from Holland!
    Merlijn

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    I would go with the sterling ray, but if you can look for a musicman SUB bass. They are made in USA and are pretty much an EBMM but cheaper. They can be found for about 400-500$ used.

3. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Hi Merlijn,
    I think you should NOT get the Traben Phoenix. I think you will outgrow it very fast. It looks like a bass that a 14 year would buy. You know what I mean?
    Good luck rocking out!

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, skip the Traben. I know there are folks that like them but they're honestly only so-so. If you want the pointy metal bass look then go with something from ESP instead. Go with something that feels good and sounds right - and will have lasting appeal to you.

Something like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-d-5-5-string-bass-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-b-5e-5-string-bass-guitar

5. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Finally a new take on the infamous what's the best bass for metal question. Pay attention to Merlijn. This kid is breaking new ground. :bassist:

6. merlijnverduin

merlijnverduin

Oct 23, 2013
    JellinWellen, Runlikegregg and fourstringbliss:

Thanks for your reactions! I see that it's not a smart idea when i buy the Phoenix.

I like to get more advice but this is a step to the good way.

And Agent77:

I saw that there are more threads for this ;) But thanks for your attention. :p

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Honestly, any fiver with one or more humbuckers will work. You need to get something that feels and sounds like you want it to with the right set of features. Probably something active. You might consider a mid level Spector as well.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    No problem. Happy to help.

He's just got his panties in a twist - don't mind him.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  10. merlijnverduin

merlijnverduin

Oct 23, 2013
    Yesterday I saw a company named Schecter. Do they make awesome basses and what kind of models are very good?:bassist:

11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    i have schecter stiletto custom 4 with passive emg's, an active preamp, and a mahogany/maple body. I would not say it is awesome, but its pretty good for the $250 I paid for it. Nothing special IMO, just a fairly comfortable, lightweight bass, with some usable but not stellar modern tones.

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I like the new Schecters that look like Fenders more than their neck throughs. I love the new SUBs, but +1 on the US made SUB if you can score one. I love my 4 string SUB but never meshed with my 5 string SUB (neck never felt right, I preferred my Warwick 5 string necks). The import and US made SUB basses have great necks, good tone, and are on the hot side. If I lost everything and had to put together a new rig on a budget the SUB 4 would be on the top of my list easy.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I can certainly attest to the quality of the fender style schecters (model t, diamond p, etc...) that webtroll mentioned but they wouldn't have the modern tone that you may be looking for. Ive never had any encounter with a SUB (though now I kinda want to try one) but if I may, I cast a vote for ESP LTD basses, modern styling with modern tone and quality woods and workmanship.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You live in Holland and we can spitball about what might be a good bass for you, but I don't know what you can get a hold of. Do you have a website you're going to be buying from? We can look at that site and help you choose from what is available to you.

15. The Sterling will treat you better than the Traben.

16. I would go for ESP. I remember playing a B-154DX and it was absolutely awesome, I imagine the B-155DX would be equally as awesome. Really nice feeling and sounding bass for the money IMO.

I'd also suggest Spector or an aforementioned Stingray but they may be out of your price range depending on what you're looking at.

17. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Are you shopping from Thomann?

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Assuming that you're shopping from Thomann and your budget is under 400 Euros, I would go with one of these:

Yamaha BB425
    Yamaha's have excellent build quality and consistently sound great. This is a versatile P/J sound (Duff McKagen) but is passive not active.

Yamaha TRBX 305
    Another Yammie and active this time.

Ibanez SR305
    Some of the lightest basses around with great necks

If you can afford around 450 Euros then consider one of these:

ESP LTD D-5
    Neck-through active fiver

ESP LTD B205
    Bolt-on active fiver

Warwick RB Streamer Std.
    Warwicks are pretty popular among the metal crowd for their growly tone

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ooo nice!

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, me I'd get the Warwick if I was going to buy a new fiver in this price range. Actually I'd get myself a Peavey Cirrus BXP but they aren't available in Europe from what I'm seeing.