Fingers getting caught

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Aug 23, 2019.

1. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I thought that was a reasonable assumption but apparently not

TNCreature likes this.
  2. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Please don’t go full plectrum all at once! It’s more of a step therapy kind of thing.
    Try 1/4 plectrum and adding 1/4 additional a week...

3. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I enjoy plectrum bass, and the many great Chris bass squire pick players out there

4. Then have you tried going on a free forum for advise from experienced players and done what they say?

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    You mean like TalkBass?

dr doofie likes this.
  6. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Then by all means pluck away my good fellow!

7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Assuming you don't what?

8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Private lessons are going to ask you to play differently than you are. You have to be willing to change everything about your playing and assume your instructor knows more than you. If you are going to ignore the instructor and play how you want, it will be a waste if time and money.

I know I thought I was playing things correctly because maybe I could play along to something hard, but my timing and tone might be terrible. Some things I had to work on seemed like they would make no difference and we're hard at first. In the end, they paid off immensely.

gebass6 likes this.
  9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm not sure how this addresses the point you quoted

10. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Oh. I was saying private lessons would be a waste of money more than likely.

11. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    As someone else mentioned, slow down and focus on playing it with precision. Keep doing it until the motion 99% muscle memory. I rake when descending lines and it used to require thought, repeat the process, now it's a natural thing when descending strings. My ability to descend is honestly faster/stronger than my ability to ascend at this point.. which just means.. I need to slow down and practice ascending until I don't have to think about it anymore, and then start bringing the tempo up.

Even when I was seeking lessons they really only helped me with theory.. tons of guitarists around in this small town. I had to learn my right hand technique via scott's bass lessons and other resources.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021