1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First bass build!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sirppi, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Greetings from Finland! I've decided to build a bass :)

[​IMG]

Neck-through, 35" scale, EMG 40DC... Haven't yet decided on headstock/inlay designs.

A couple of questions:
    • The line next to the neck is the lenght of the truss rod (600mm). I'd like to have the adjustment on the body side, but is the length of the rod enough?
    • I ordered this bridge(Gotoh 205B-5), do I need neck angle or bridge recess?
      GEB-205CS.

2. Pretty nice lookin'. I think a headstock shape like this would lend itself well to the body design: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/Eric618/headstock.jpg

But I think it needs another pickup, because I don't know about your playing style, but a single pickup that near to the bridge wouldn't have much bass, but maybe you don't mind that.

3. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll probably go with that headstock design. :) I'm mainly a guitarist, so I don't know too much about basses. :help: I'll forget about that logo plate and throw in another pup. (The tuning is going to be F A# D# G# C#, does that matter?)

4. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Here's a new drawing:
    [​IMG]

I have no idea of the pup placement, does it look even close to correct? :D

E: or maybe both pups tilted and a small plate?

5. The design on the guitar (other than the scale) shouldn't matter when it comes to the tuning, unless you're doing something crazy like 2 steps down or something. The pickup placement looks fine, but the best way to find the best sound is to have the pickups with you, and place them up to the strings, and see how they sound exactly where they are planned to be. Honestly though, the pickups being humbucking, if it doesn't sound amazing exactly where you place either pickup, you have many different wiring options to find one you like.

I do like the inlay you had planned for there. Depending on how well you can cut inlays and all that, you should try and get in on the 12th fret, either horizontally- parallel with the frets- or vertical, overlapping the the 11th, and 13th frets, like this but with your cool design, instead of a crazy wizard face: ww1.

And I like the idea of tilting them. It looks cool, but I don't really know how it sounds, so you'd have to wait for someone more experienced in many basses to tell you how tilted pickups might sound different from straight ones.

6. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks for the answer again :)

Here's a quick photoshop mockup of the ideas so far, these probably aren't the final woods:
    [​IMG]
    (Forgot the controls, oops)

The circle is just indicating the 12. fret, got to figure out something nice there :)

Most of the parts are hopefully arriving next week, and I'll ask the guy whose workshop I'm going to work in if he has any lumber to give/sell me. Otherwise I'll be on my way to a lumbershop...

7. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    The inlay? :)
    [​IMG]

The body shape is going to change a bit...

8. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Nice Design! Subbed!!!!

9. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Which design? I traced the shape from some image and edited the shape a bit. The line across the neck on the 2th fret is the end of the truss rod. Is it long enough?

[​IMG]

10. I'm not a builder myself, so I can't comment on the truss rod, but I really like the refined body style. I think the bottom design, without the jagged cut on the lower bout looks the best.

11. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Yeah, I think I'll go with the bottom one. Tomorrow I'll get my parts :hyper:

12. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Parts arrived! :)
    [​IMG]

13. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Sorry for the long wait :meh: Today I got the fingerboard and 1:1 plans. Next week is vacation so I guess the woodwork starts then :)

[​IMG]

I'll try to make some templates out of plywood today...so more pics if I manage to get something done :D

14. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, visited the girlfriend's stepdad's workshop and had a chat. Next tuesday we'll go to Woodim to select the woods. The center of the bass will be walnut/maple/walnut/maple/walnut, and the sides will be three-ply ?/maple/?. ? being bubinga, wenge or something else nice. :)

15. looks great to me, I'd love a bass like this one *hint hint ;)* I prefer #2 and the inlay looks really great, simple and classy, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, sub'd

16. superquick

superquick

Dec 6, 2011
    west ga
    can't wait to see this one start coming together man. it looks awesome already. keep it up

17. crazygtr

crazygtr

Mar 4, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    looking good, you're on the right track planning ahead.

18. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    Thank you guys, you really keep me inspired to get this done :)

19. Sirppi

Sirppi

Jan 2, 2012
    So the woods are wenge, maple and walnut. I'll let them sit for a week or so at the workshop and then finally start the building :)

20. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    The top one reminds me of this mayones bass:

b73e9f56.