Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pele1078, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    Today is my birthday, and my mother and I are about to go to our local music store to get my first bass. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestion in what i should look for when picking an inexpensive bass.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    We'll be glad to help. How much money can you spend and what kind of music do you intend to play? I would suggest not buying the cheapest bass you can find. Buy a bass which is comfortable for you because nobody likes to play a bass they don't really feel comfortable with. If you don't really like it you won't want to play it.

Oh yeah. Find a store with good customer service. You'll probably want them to set it up for you after you buy it as part of the purchase price and maybe throw in a new set of strings.

3. Go for a MIM* Fender or a Squier. Make sure you TRY THEM OUT though. Get one that feels good to you and sounds decent. Also look for an Ibanez GSR200 or something, those are good starter basses too.

*MIM = Made In Mexico. They are the cheapest Fenders. I'm not too sure, but I think on the back of the headstock it will have MIM in the serial #, but I'm not entirely sure.

4. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    Well i'm looking for around 200, I already have an amp and cord, and I'll probably play a wide range of music. Thanks for your advice.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The Ibanez GSR200 can be found from $190.00 to $209.00 in most stores. They are great starter basses and the QC is better than the Squires.

My daughter has a GSR200 for the last 2 years and it has worked well no problems at all.

6. They make some inexpensive basses that are a big bang for the buck. a B100 can be had for around $225. Fit and finish are pretty decent, and IMHO, the pickups beat the hell out of the Squiers. Just my .02

7. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Happy Bday!

As stated above the Ibanez GSR200 are well worth looking into. Great basses for the price, perfect for a first bass. Also look into SX basses, they're cheap but high quailty basses.

8. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    Thanks for the advice everybody, I'm going to do more looking now.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wait...before you get a GSR200, take a look at the SR300DX - a alittle more and you get so much more for the money.

And the SX ones from what I've heard are simply awesome...

10. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    I found an SX in the store, and it's been burning my fingers ever since i tried it, I want it bad haha, and the price tag wasnt bad; 250 dollars.

11. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    SX SJB-62QMD, came in a starter pack with an amp, gig bag, strap, and cord. I also saw GSR200 I liked, but they want 275 for it, is this overpriced?

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Yes. You can get it at any GC for $209.00, and thats the price they have on the bass. If you hagle you can get it for less.

13. Pele1078

Pele1078

Dec 28, 2004
    Wooster, Ohio
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm definitely going to start doing my research.