1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First GOOD bass help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jarrydee, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    ok, so I just bought the Tc BH500 AND THE 4X10 cab to go with it...now I need a good bass to go with it! I have a new squier VM p bass, but I want a good fender p-bass and need your help. I am kinda new so I really dont understand the 20 different fender p basses...would the american SPECIAL be a good bass, or should I go for the american STANDARD...or is the something else, of course anyway I can save money is welcomed! Thanks to all fo you guy/gals hear on TB, you all have helped me a lot in my quest to bass greatness :bassist:

2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Get a used American Standard P. If you don't love it, you will be able to resell for about what you paid, so it's a very low-risk option.

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thats what I was thinking also, but wanted some advice, I dont know much about basses and did not want to waste money! now can you tell me the big difference between the AS and the other fender p basses that cost 3 grand? what the heck can there be that would raise the price 2 grand? Also, for some reason I really like the look of that road worn p bass, would that be as good as the AS? Look dont mean as much to me as playability and sound!

4. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I don't know much about Fender basses, but here's a link where you can select different Fender P basses and compare them - the "compare" results will also show the unique differences in text form.

FenderĀ® Products

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The road worn series does play very nicely. And you don't have to worry about denting it, as that's already been done for you.

6. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    What's your beef with the VM?

7. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well, American Specials are entry-level US made basses, and as such, their quality should be higher than the comparable Mexican-made instruments. That said, the ones I've been able to try out have failed to impress me, I much preferred the now-discontinued Highway One series, finding an used Highway might be an option, especially if you were taken with the Road Worn P, what with nitro finish and the like... Road Worns are Mexi-made, but many a praise has been sung for them, relic'd or not, especially from a playability point of view.

American Standards are probably your best bet, unless you crave fairly accurate vintage reissue goodliness, in which case you should go for the American Vintage series, or if you need an active instrument with a PJ configuration, in which case you should look in the general direction of American Deluxe models.

Also, your VM is one fine bass, if you ask me ;)

8. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh no....I have no problem at all with the VM...I just know it is a lower level bass and have BEEN TOLD that a rel american made fender would sound and feel much better! and a little GAS also....I have went from recording equipment gas to bass now!:bag:

9. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan

Thats the problem, I have no clue what a real vintage fender sounds like or feels like, so that dont matter to me....just want the best sound and feel I can get and not have to buy again for a long time! I mean, will there be a HUGE difference in feel and sound between my VM and an american standard?

10. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Yeah, I hear ya... The only advice I can offer is, get out, hit the stores, and play as many different models you can get your hands on. That should give you a fair idea of what you like and what feels good for you, which is all that matters in the end.

Difference between VM and an American Standard? Hmmm, huge it probably ain't. Notable, yes. But the devil is in the details, as they say. For me, the price-hike is worth it, YMMV :)

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Thank you!! looks like I am going to try to find a AS, going to check for used around my area first as I do have a new rig to pay for...got it on payment plan!

12. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Re-sale demand on Fenders (most models ) are high, so +1 to that . :)

13. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    So just to be clear..most of you would go for the AS over the special?

14. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Definitely try before you buy....and don't just look at the name on the headstock.

I have a used Peavey Milestone Korean made p-bass that is better (in my opinion) than any bass that I've played, regardless of price. I bought it used, with a soft case, and after market pickups, and including a setup for under 180 dollars out the door of a local shop. The tone and playability are incredible. I have a USA made Peavey Fury p-bass that's great too (in a different way), so it wasn't a fluke that I got a nice non-Fender p-bass. So, don't limit yourself to Fenders, there are other gems out there.

Now, that being said, Fender does make some great basses. They are consistently good, but if you take your time, you will find a great one. The key is to take your time. Your Squier is likely just as good as many Fenders...especially through a good amp/cab. So I say enjoy your Squier and amp/cab for awhile, and save your money while looking for your next bass. Take your time...you'll know it when you find it.

Personally, I would look for another style of bass to cop the tones that you won't get on a P-bass. There are Jazz style basses, Stingray basses, and "modern" basses with active pickups--all sound different in the mix than a p-bass. Or, you could look at G & L basses...they are very versatile and can achieve a close approximation of many tones.

15. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Congrats on the new rig. First Thing is the best advice has already been given, go to you local music store(s) and compare several models. I personally like fenders myself (jazz). Try them out as well. Take your time, the employees won't care. Now, the difference in a special and a standard on paper isn't much, IMO, better hardware, rolled edge on the neck, and without saying a better build I do think the standard has a better overall feel. Lightweight tuners really give a balance you'll feel right off. I own a n American Standard and a Highway one. Literally the only difference in a highway one and the special is the body finish, and the Highway one comes with the badass II bridge. And the greasebucket circuitry is another option in tone with those 2 models. So there's something else to think about. When you go sample the different models play the Am standard LAST. Try a MIM, they are a good product but I understand wanting American made, then try a special or highway one of they have it. Then to really feel the difference play the standard. You'll see what I'm talking about. If you are set on a standard and have the funds by all means go for it. It's the top of the line passive. I can't imagine you'd regret it. If you find a good used you'll save some bucks. There are plenty of options to choose from, so sample as many as you can. Hope this explains the difference between a special and a standard better for you. Besides $300.

16. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    thank you,,,,I am going to go out to my local pawn shops and music store (not GC) and try some out,, I had a MIM jazz bass I sould a while back, I dont know why I want a p bass, I like the sound but have never reall heard any different basses...I do have a Douglas 5 string bass that belongs to my dad, we used to use it for studio work, neiter of us were bass players so we just used it in our studio to add the bass to songs...now I know that bass is cheap, but I really like the sound of it, I just dont like the 5 string thing yet...maybe it is the active pickups I like the sound of, but I really dont know, I have never played anything but that and my squier!~

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I recommend either an MIA Fender '62 AVRI P-bass, an American Standard P-bass, or an MIM Roadworn P-bass. The first is the classic real deal, the second is the "incrementally improved" modern version, and the last is as close as you will get to a vintage P-bass for under $900 unless you will the craigslist lottery!

18. Pro tip: let your ears and hands decide what's right for you, not what someone else says.

Also, if you're just starting out, the cash you're thinking about spending on another bass would go a long way towards lessons.

As usual, YMMV, IMHO, just my 2 cents, etc., etc., yadda yadda.

19. RiGarcia1983

RiGarcia1983

Nov 27, 2011
    Id get a used american standard p, or a used highway 1 p...
    Btw, ill buy your vm p bass off ya?!?

20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    As a guy who's played a P-Bass for decades, I second your choice - but if I were you and just getting underway, I'd stick with the Squier for a while and take my time on my next bass. Put good strings on it and take it to a good luthier for a pro setup (ask for a referral to someone locally on this forum).

There are always great P-basses for sale here in classifieds, suggest you look there for a while just to get a sense of the differences between models as well as the non-Fender P-bass options.

My #1 piece of advice - TAKE YOUR TIME! There are tons of choices out there and you have a really good bass to hold you over for a while.

I also recently bought a G&L bass that just kills, so there's another path for you.