First P Bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Martin P Taylor, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Martin P Taylor

Martin P Taylor Commercial User

Mar 25, 2019
    Erina NSW Australia
    I run a guitar making school
    Hi all, I thought I'd post a few pics of my first P-Bass build. It is an Alder body, Maple neck, Gidgee fingerboard (Australian timber) with Nitro finish. I've been mainly building acoustc guitars but started on a few electrics recently and this seemed to be the next logical step. No kits, no cnc, all hand shaped and sprayed.

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

2. Martin P Taylor

Mar 25, 2019
    Erina NSW Australia
    I thought I'd show a couple of build pics for this too.

On the bench, just before the Gidgee fretboard goes on. Gidgee is an Australian hardwood that makes a great fretboard. It is a little challenging to work but the end result s super smooth and hard wearing.

[​IMG]

Fretboard on, frets in. Finally starting to look like a guitar.

[​IMG]

Now some spraying shots. I ended up doing a 4 colour burst. Vintage Amber, Cherry Red, Dark Brown and then Black. I wasn't completely happy after the black went on and thought it needed a little more Red. Fortunately with transparent Nitro you can do that.

Vintage Amber

[​IMG]

Cherry Red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dark Brown

[​IMG]

Black

[​IMG]

And a bit more Red

[​IMG]

After this it was clears, then final level and Buff

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Beautiful workmanship! My only question is: If you can do this, why did you so closely copy a P-Bass? Why not expand on the design, make it better, make it your own? It's kind of sad to think that people are going to see it and assume that it's a really nice Fender. After all the effort and skill that you put into it!

4. DeltaDelta

DeltaDelta

Feb 17, 2018
    Italy
    Lovely build, and you did a great job with the photos as well, they really highlight the instrument.
    Congratulations!

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You make valid points, Bruce.

The sad truth is that this is the type of thing that consumers want.

Look at the Sadowsky’s of the world. Endless potential and marvelous skill sets - churning out Fender clones.

SLivinghouse likes this.
  6. Martin P Taylor

Mar 25, 2019
    Erina NSW Australia
    Hi Bruce, I run a guitar making school and when students come in and ask if they can make a particular style of guitar it helps if we have something they recognise first. They usually and up making a custom shape anyway but it reassures them a little seeing something familiar. When building guitars for customers (usually acoustics) I have several of my own shapes and bracing designs. I'll have to take some shots of my acoustic bass to show one of the custom designs.

SLivinghouse, TinIndian, Beej and 3 others like this.
  7. Beautiful work! Would love to see some photos of your acoustic basses.

SLivinghouse likes this.
  8. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Superb! I love the way you got the sunburst!

9. SlingBlader

SlingBlader

Oct 19, 2013
    Really nice work and spectacular job on the burst and finish overall. Congrats! :)

10. Martin P Taylor

Mar 25, 2019
    Erina NSW Australia
    Thanks Bob, heres some pics of my Acoustic Bass. It utilises Falcate bracing (based on the work of Trevor Gore and Gerard Gilet). Jarrah Back and sides, Mackay Cedar top, Australian Red Cedar neck, 34" scale, LR Baggs Element Pro pickup. Sounds awesome acoustically and the Baggs pickup is great plugged in.

IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

Beej, jhb138, Slidlow and 4 others like this.
  11. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I love the P bass the finish is fantastic and the fretboard wood reminds me a bit of Wenge.
    I'll tell you something though, I don't normally go for acoustic basses very much, but that one right there is spectacular! Do you have a website?

12. Thanks for sharing, Martin. Looks great! I played an old (1977) Guild B50 for several years. I shelved it for quite a while and eventually sold it. Sometimes I kick myself

13. Martin P Taylor

Mar 25, 2019
    Erina NSW Australia
    LP Custom and Beej like this.
  14. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Awesome work and great logo!

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    So you sell guitars under the name Martin Taylor? I predict you'll be sued by both of them... :roflmao::laugh::D:smug:

16. That p is p perfection. Closest you’ll find these days to a ‘57-‘65 Fender in new condition.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021