1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats Help Please

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Im looking for something that is thuddy yet punchy, does this exist?
    Also: Can you get a thicker tone with lighter guage or is it needed to go heavier? Example ghs 55-70-90-105 will you get the same sound through amp settings as if you had 45-60-75-95?
    Also: Are there flats that wear in faster than others?

2. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I like using DR flats to get the sound you’re talking about. They have a real upright sound in that they have a quick attack (punch) but then thud right out. They have that sound right out of the box so I haven’t noticed a need to work them in and I’ve had a handful of their sets on my 4 strings and 5 strings.

Regarding guage, I’m not sure about thicker tone with lighter gauges. I do lean toward the heavier gauges though to ensure maximum thickness!

3. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are awsome and may be what you're looking for. Pricey but worth it; they last a very long time.

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
  5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. They have the thud of flats + a little more midrange bite than most flats. And yes they are a little more pricey. But how often do you buy a set of flats? (Most popular answer: once)

6. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio

7. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    But these are like rubber bands and i dont like that

8. jbednarski

jbednarski

May 31, 2010
    Chicago area
    I just got a set of these a couple of weeks ago and really like them for the above reasons also.

9. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    GHS Precision Flats, no question. Firm tension, but not overly so and a nice thuddy tone.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Sadowsky Black Label.

11. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    +1

12. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    When he pulled out the pick in that video......
    wow!
    i want those strings

13. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    GHS flats are all I have on both my P's.

14. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Not in my experience. I've tried others and always go back to TIs. They also sound and play great while slapping.

15. LHbassist

LHbassist

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Hi jessicabass! Please read my somewhat recent thoughts on flats- which I've been using for about 45 years on many of my basses. I'm also a bass repair tech, see and hear and play on a LOT of different strings!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/flatwounds-history-question-939417/

16. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    Another vote for the Sadowsky Black Labels. I have them on roughly half of my basses.

A bit more thump and brighter than Ernie Balls, and better tension than the TI's, which are the other two sets of flats I have had the most experience with. So they are a good match for me. They could very well be manufactured by one of the other manufacturers (for all I know) they just work for me.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The Sadowsky strings are made to their spec's by LaBella

I was shocked when I learned that. They are as far away from regular LaBella's as you can get.

18. soflbass

soflbass

Mar 2, 2013
    S Florida
    I use fender 9050L 045, 060, 080 and .100 on my jazz and p bass. They are great strings and u can't beat the $20 price. Since that's the only gauge I use, can't comment on others. For $40 bucks you can try 2 different gauge sets and see what u think.

19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    thank you
    loved it
    been looking into this as well with my sister.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Try some foam under the strings near the bridge. Will pretty much make any strings thumpy. Vary the width, thickness to get different tones. Also vary the amount of foam thickness under each string for more variety.