1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats Help Please

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Thickest Flats = best (string) tone for my needs (but less playability ofcourse, no problem for me though..)

2. out of the ones I tried, GHS, Fenders and Chromes...
    I actually think the Fender flats are thuddy and punchiest, followed by the Chromes and then GHS P's for pure thump madness/goodness.

edit: the GHS P's are my faves...

3. nlaird

nlaird

Mar 7, 2013
    I use DR Rounds Medium Light with plenty of wide dynamics coming out of an active fretless. I love DR strings on all my guitars. I have tried many other brands. They punch hard when you hit them hard, but plenty of low end, too. In my experience, the thicker the string, the thicker the sound. Happy hunting for the perfect strings!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use strings in gauges 40-55-70-95. I defy anyone to tell the difference between them and a 45-100 set of the same strings.

5. I'll take a stab at this. The tension on the D string is a bit higher than the rest of the set if they are D'addarios.

Can't tell on a recording though

A custom 45-60-80-105 set of chromes is pretty well balanced, but slightly more expensive due to buying singles. Might try a 110 with the next set

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry, should have clarified...I defy anyone to tell the difference between them and a 45-100 set of the same strings JUST BY LISTENING ;)

7. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    <broken record> Pyramid Gold - Pure Nickel flats, like TI flats but 105-gauge. </broken record>

8. Don't think it would happen, unless 10 bucks was at stake:D

9. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    How much of a difference in feel is going from say 40 to 45 or 100 to 105?
    is it a drastic change?
    Because i don like the d and g to be thin, but i always thought the e would feel better at 100 instead of 105

10. I used a .105 set of Chromes tuned down to C, and it was still pretty tight. I'd never try that guage for standard tuning. I'm using a .100 set tuned to standard now and it's pretty tense. Might go down to .95 as Jimmy suggested next string change.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    See, I like the D and G to be thin and the tension lower, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.

12. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I don't think the OP wants that nasal sound like an upright. He said "thump and punch". You won't get punch with TI Jazz flats or DR flats. Thump and punch is a more modern sounding flat like Sadowsky Black Label or even Fender 9050. And being the Sadowsky fanboy that I am, I give them another vote.

Also, there will only be a slight difference in sound between light and standard gauge, where the lighter gauge will be cleaner and punchier, while heavier gauge starts losing the tone and gets a bit more thump.

13. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    You've gotta try a set of Chromes, at least once. Not too expensive, but amazing strings. Bright at first but they will mellow out the more you play them, but will retain a good deal of punch. I have a P/J with an Ampeg rig, and those strings are pretty much perfect for any sound I'm going for. If I want that aggressive round-wound sound, I just need to turn up my bridge pickup.

14. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Actually SHE said " thump and punch" ;)
    Thank you
    Being that im up in canada for awhile with my brother, and its so time consuming to order from the states and more expensive. A small local shop has fender and ghs.
    I loved the sound of the video of the ghs but what you said makes me want to get the fender as well. I have 3 basses so i will put them on two of them and keep the one with rounds just in case.
    I used to have so much equipment but marriage and kids happened and i havent played for quite some time and sold if off to help get the house.
    I have to say the adventure of getting new gear and getting my brother to get back in it as well has made this fun.
    Thank you tbers

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 Chromes are my vote and only get better with age.

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    LHbassist's comments are spot on in my experience. I've tried most all flats, and given them many months or years of work, on numerous basses, and those are the same conclusions I've reached. I think if you want a valid assesment of strings, its important to get conclusions that are based upon years of use in many different situations, not just the "ah ha!" conclusions that one might get after just having changed strings over to a different brand or type, since the latter can often be based at least partly on the "honeymooon" or thrill of simply hearing a different (not better) sound. You also need to hear strings in different live situations. In my experience, string "like" can be very fickle, so you gotta give your assessments a good amount of time, to assure you are out of the "wow, this is different, I like it" phase before you draw meaningful conclusions.

17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Another broken record here, but in my case it's for Sadowsky black label flats. Right between Chromes and TIs tension-wise. Warm and articulate in terms of tone.

18. Thump and punch is an old school flat like LaBella, Pyramid or the now defunct green silk 9050s!

19. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    RIP the green silk 9050's. Wish they never dissappeared. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has the authoritative thump of the old Fenders.

20. I concur. Anybody got an old set lying around they wanna sell me?