Flatwound Strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L2ATJR, Oct 4, 2020.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000.jpg
    you can do this, OP! and since you like the "technical" stuff you probably could learn what you need from the internet, but: if you told a tech/luthier "i'd like you to teach me how to do a setup (or adjust a truss rod)" you'd get an 'immersion' not available on youtube. also: you'd get to ask questions and learn about your specific ax in case there are peculiarities. TBH: that's how i learned so i'm favoring my own experience on this. once you get some concepts = youtube is your friend! good luck with your great looking instrument! :thumbsup:

L2ATJR likes this.
  2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I don't know about La Bella flats (they are also quite stiff, and the winding has a lot to do with it), but yes, the construction elements of the string all contribute each according to its specific weight and volume in a given length unit (linear inch of string): the core steel is probably denser than the winding material(s), and the thicker it is, total gauge being equal, the heavier-tension the string will be (because of the aforementioned inherent density of the core material, and the fact that it subtracts volume to the windings - and air gaps therein).
    In the opposite direction, a triple-wound string like many (most?) low B strings may have a relatively thin core, and be lighter in tension than one with the same diameter and a larger core, but the other way of looking at it is that in said string the winding matters more, with regards to the tension value at pitch; and certainly such a string will have more tension than another with identical core diameter and wrap gauge, but less winding layers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    bobyoung53 likes this.

3. La Bella's do have a thick core though.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Then you will understand the D'Addario and GHS string manuals.

5. To tell you the truth I really don't care very much.

6. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Chromes were too stiff for me. So I got labella low tension flats. Love em. Feels like the tapes or dead rounds i had before. But I also play just shorties so maybe I like it floppy. :) (though doesn't seem floppy to me....)

7. Unless you're buying the same set of strings always be ready to do a setup, even if it's the same gauge and same style of string.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    One doesn't need to choose.

9. L2ATJR

L2ATJR

Sep 3, 2020
    I took your advice and swapped-out my strings and replaced them with D’Addario 45-100 flat wounds. While I was at it, I lined the body cavities with copper foil tape, changes the mini-Alpha pots to full size CTS 250K pots - audio for the P/J pickups and linear for tone control, and installed Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC pickups, a Babicz thru the body bridge, and, just for the heck of it, a Pure Tone full-contact output jack. I love the looks of the guitar,
    I love the sound, and I especially love the fact that the 60 cycle hum is gone!

bb434m-jpg.jpg

Thanks for your insights and encouragement.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021