1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea market finds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Sep 27, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Ran across one at a flea market today and holy cow, I finally found an Ibby I LIKE...well not that one ..its RED but the model ...it was sweet! So, someone give me the scoop on them. I didn't plug it in when I played it. Edit Duhh...its an Ibanez Cimar.

Same stall also had an old Squier....least I think it was an old one...all I know is when I played it I kept thinking that when I left there I would have to stop by the hospital for a tetanus booster, the strings were THAT RUSTED on it :eyebrow: This Squier was a lot lighter then my VMJ and was about 2/3 the size.. a black and maple baby ...booyah (though black and rosewood is even more booyah but anyway...)...I have no idea what year it was but dayum the neck was niiiiicccee. All I remember of the serial # was something and I think an X or a W and I think 4 zeros after that until the other numbers started.

There was also a Kona Jazz there. It looked ok but I didn't touch it.

Lastly there was a guitar(d) there...some mega limited edition Jackson. One of a thousand and I think he said it was #5 or something..it was wicked...tigar quilt all razerblade like...way cool axe even if it was a guitar :p

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Can you be more specific on the Ibby? Pics or a model number?

I usually go here to find Ibanez information: http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/bass_gallery.htm

As for the Squier it is possible that it is an early model Japanese Squier or a Korean one but it also sounds like a recent Bronco from your description. How many pickups did it have and was the body a Precision or Jazz shape or was it more elongated?

I love finding these types of bargains but they are very rare here.

3. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    You know, the model of the Ibanez that I found was in the title of the thread and then when I started talking about the others, I figured Id give a more general title and obviously forgot to update the first paragraph there. Man Im not with it tonight....

It is an Ibanez Cimar. It looks like a Precision and I just found a black one online and I see its has a Jazz pup near the bridge. I must have missed that... I was too stunned at how nice it felt being an Ibby (that comment was only made cause Ive never found an Ibanez that I liked until that one) It was red with a white PG with a flaming skull sticker on it about where Sheehan has his skull sticker and it had a maple neck. I was surprised at the quality feel it had to it. Every Ibby Ive ever laid my hands on has just felt ... not well made...this one did though. I was shocked. The neck was pretty comfortable on it as well.

The Squier looked like a typical Jazz. Black w/maple neck/white PG/2 standard Jazz pups. It was in dire need of a cleaning and those strings were nothing but rust. I actually got rust dust on the PG when I was playing it. The tone pot was a bit scratchy and really not much difference in tone no matter which way I put it. I was just amazed that it was so much lighter and overall smaller then my VMJ and it had a neck that was so sweet. It sure didn't look new to me LOL But the paint was good, no dings or play wear on it that I saw. It was just grungy and those strings...yeesh...though I gotta admit they did sound nice for some odd reason. LOL

And good grief no I don't want any of them. I was just curious about that Ibby and Im going back there next week to pick up a cab hes got and I will write the number down on the squier to run through and see just what year it is.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    i have an MIK squier jazz and it's very lightweight and feels wonderful. so i'm modding the hell outta it. oh well.

5. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Well Ive always heard the older Squiers had quality issues and this ones quality blew me away. It could very well be a new one that just got trashed or it could be an older one thats why when I go back to get the cab Im going to write the serial # down and check it out.

I also played some no name brand acoustic/electric bass. First acoustic I've ever played. It was ok but I do not care for acoustic bass strings what so ever but since I play my basses unplugged a lot kicked back watching TV or in between surfing the net, it would make better sense if I had an acoustic to do that but I think I will pass because of those strings...blech.. heheh

And I went back and looked at that Cimar I found online. Its fretless. I wonder if that is factory or a mod. Its a lined fretless by the way.

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I have a dean playmate acoustic that i picked up for 50bucks. I defretted it and put flatwounds on it. Sounds and plays great. Very uprightish. I recommend trying this (at least the strings) if you ever get a shot at a cheapie :)

7. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Thats an idea. Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind if I do decide to take the plunge into an acoustic. This one was ok, it had an active EQ and the control panel was facing you on the in dished in part of the body. It had like 4 slide levers and a button and a light and yadda yadda... LOL it was ok but I don't need an acoustic right now. But if I get one in the future I will keep your suggestion in mind ^_^

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I will say that the dean playmates' electronics are absolute crap. I pulled out the pickup and controls; they sounded horrible. I had a little basshumbucker from the 60s laying around and installed that, wired directly to the input. Sounds great now but most of the time I really only use it for doodling around unplugged every once in a while... at least I had fun with the project:)
    DSC00667.

9. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Thats nice looking. The one I played today was some brand Ive never heard of and the body was like an acoustic Les Paul style.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The first Squiers from Japan and Korea can be absolutely amazing. The ones after that, not so much :D

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Ok I went back to the flea market. I wasn't there to buy the cab as I got a much nicer one offered to me the other day and Im going for it instead. But I did come with Brownsville Bat in tow.... for the Squier.

Let me relay how this whole encounter went....

I have no idea W T F but Id'a swore it was a Squier Jazz but when I saw it again its a flipping Pbass. ROFL HOW did I get that, that messed up? Well I was looking at some of his Jazz basses after I put it up and the last bass I held was a black/maple Jazz so maybe I transposed... what a dork I was with that....

Anyhoo there the P BASS was in all its black/rosewood (*** LOL) glory..Rusty strings and all. I'm in love -- I want it. All he wants to give me is $75 for the Bat....uhm...excuse me???? Of course hes complaining cause its a flat finish not gloss, he got hyper about the electrical tape I have wrapped around the tips on the bottom of the body. I told him I was a total clutz and I have wrapped them for their own good (and Id gladly take it off to show the bottom of the body is perfect) and then when I went to take the bass back and set it down I slapped the over head light with the headstock...o_O.....

My Bat is like 9.7 out of 10 (or was until that smack LOL) -- limited model no longer made. Sure its a low end bass but a good beginner/intermediate bass and its like NOT THAT EASILY FOUND. The Squier is dirty, bad strings. pots so so on it...as far as Im concerned it should be an even trade. So hes like 'I cant do even trade -- that, for a Fender.'

*facepalm*

Dude, its a SQUIER... BY Fender...

ITS A FENDER MADE AT THE SAME PLANT blah blah blah blah

Sure its a Fender but its the other branch S Q U I E R ...the LOW priced ones..

This fool is treating it like a Fender (I mean it is but not when it comes to price IMO)....I gave up at that point trying to infuse this man with some knowledge and instead tried to negotiate a higher trade in. I got him up to $100 (the P bass is $250) but I still wasn't happy as I have seen Brownsville Bats go for nearly $500 on the bay.

So he pulls out his laptop and goes to eBay and pulls up some brownsville basses. None of them are Bats, all newer model like $60, $90 etc...So now hes trying to renig on the higher trade in and Im like 'Did you find any Bats? Huh? Noooo if they aren't on the bay but once in a great while what does that you....?'

I gave up at that point and said I wouldn't take $100 for a $250 bass that needs work regardless that my bass is 'low end'. Its still a nice player. So Im staring at the Pbass, I pick it up to play it. I didn't bother to plug it in I just wanted to test the neck again. Im playing standing up with no strap so I tipped it up by the D and G strings to play something (think how Sheehan does that though I didn't get that idea from him) on the E and A and about 3 seconds later the G strings SNAPS (thats how bad those strings were)....uhm....oopsie? ROFL

The guy looks at me and said 'Well you said you were a clutz with one.' He continued saying that if I do get it he will throw in a new set of strings for it at no charge so I guess being a clutz like that might pay off in the long run with this 'deal' that is isn't over yet.

I grabbed the bat and made an off hand comment that I should have brought up my Foundation 5er. THAT got his attention and he said if I brought it up he'd take an even trade for it including the new set of strings for the Pbass. I said I'd think on it and see him next week.

Ok, heres the number on the Pbass:

s/n CY00510220 (if there was anything above it you cant see it cause hes got his shop sticker over it...bah)

The Squier logo on the headstock is in solid black and smaller then the new logo..it says 'P-Bass' after it in smaller font. Underneath in smaller letter still it says 'by fender'

I have $335 tied up in my 5er that I have downstairs for less then that (cause Im keeping the case) and its a 5er with superferrites. I don't want to like rip myself off here. I don't play the 5 hardly at all. I want that Pbass but Im probably going to sink $100 in it if and when I get it to bring it back up nice though its fine right now as it is.

I guess Im wondering if I should take the $100 and add $150 cash or do even trade with the Foundation5...opinions? And does anyone know what year that Squier is?

Thanks for reading this long post.

12. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

That's a Chinese-made Squier P-Bass - the absolute CHEAPEST bass Fender made at the time. As far as age goes, my best guess is that bass was probably made somewhere between '97 and '01. I used to have that EXACT model, right down to the color and everything. They were available in red, black, and that yellowish white color only - all with Rosewood.

I remember the description in the Fender catalogue. It referred to the body as "Solid Hardwood", so you can imagine the cheapness of it. The truth is, this is the model that Fender puts in those "Squier Bass Packs" that you can get at Guitar Center for $199.

Walk away, bro.. Walk away.

13. +1

I wouldn't do it either. It does sound like the really cheap Squier kit bass.

14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    THANKS!!!! Im walking away totally. Funny thing was the weight was balanced and the neck is sweet and even though I really like the thing, dayum, no way would I even trade my low-end Bat for a beginner kit bass let alone my Foundation 5 that gets played maybe once every couple of months....

The guy also put a sour taste in my mouth the way he was going on about its 'Fender' greatness.....I am going to go back and tell him just what type of 'fender' it is.....and never go back there again thats for sure....

...I love this board ^_^

15. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I know this is blasphemy around here, but if you really like the Squier then go for it. It makes no difference what anyone around here says about it. But don't trade something that's worth more then the Squier for it.

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I don't consider your comment blasphemy. ^_^ I really do like that Pbass but theres nothing I have thats worth less or equal (everything I have EVEN that bat is worth more) to it to trade so I would be ripping myself off if I did the trade, regardless that I really do like that axe. Its why I asked about it here cause I am still learning about the different Squiers/Fenders etc. I wont go over $100 on it and he doesn't want to budge on that $250 price on it because...its a... 'Fender' :rollno:

Thats ok, I can wait. His stock isn't that nice over all and his somewhat misguided knowledge is everywhere...Squiers as Fenders, Epiphones as Gibsons...no name supplies... what hes got and doing and what he thinks hes got and doing are 2 different things. I can wait and I might stop in there in the next few weeks with a $100 bill in my hand and show it to him for the kit Pbass. None of his stock from last week had changed and no one walked in while I was there. I don't see the chances that great that the Pbass will move. Especially now since I popped the G string on it. It didn't totally separate, the inner part of it snapped and its just hanging there between the tuner and the bridge now. I would be willing to lay money that hes not going to change it...hell if he wont even wipe the axes off I don't see him changing the strings.

EDIT I suppose if I go the wait him out route I better not go back and tell him hes trying to pass off a chinese Squier for a Fender eh? Or I could and try to make it work in my favor but I suck with negotiating strategy like that so I will pass. ^_^

17. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    was I the only one who saw this thread title and initially thought Red Hot Chillis had taken a seedy commercial swerve?

"FLEA market..."

18. that is probably an older version of the squier affinity... the bottom of the line squier bass. only the affinities say P-bass on the headstock, the higher end squiers have precision spelled out on the headstock. they're only about $180 New.

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I don't follow Red Hot Chili Peppers so I can't say. Gotta admit though every song Ive ever heard from them Ive really liked.

And thanks for the comment about Squier Affinitys/Precisions. I knew nothing about that. LOL

This guy has the internet and was pretty adapt at using his laptop from what I saw. Why doesn't he go in and do some research on his stock and figure out what hes really got?....man, people like him get on my nerves.

And the friend I got the Bat from bought it on sale for $179.99 (new) and its so minty especially compared to that Squier...*I* thought that would have been an even trade but hes got $$$$ in his eyes cause of the tiny 'fender' on the headstock...*sigh*

20. Um...because he's trying to rip people off?