1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frustration with drummer.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Either you were having a laugh which bombed in declaring ''~no such thing as wrong kick beats, (lol not)'',

or you actually believe any kick beat will do, which is nonsense to anyone who played in a band.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    "There are no incorrect ways to play the bass drum part in a song."
    That post actually got 4 likes. So, that means you could play the same kick part in Mustang Sally and Tom Sawyer, I suppose.

3. I’m with you on this point. The kick part MUST match the groove. And there ARE incorrect bass drum parts.

I’ve been in a similar boat, playing songs I’ve played many times, and the drummer I’m with this time plays a completely different feel. It’s not how I’ve played it 1,000 times, but it works with the song and fits with what everyone else is playing.

I’ve gone 2 ways, as this has happened many times. In no particular order:

1) Talked with the drummer, and politely asked if he’d be OK trying with x groove or hits, etc

2) Modified my groove to match the rest of the band.

Both have worked. However, sometimes when approaching the issue with option 1, the drummer is either unable or falls back into his preferred groove (as he’s likely played it a certain way since he learned the song).

But I’ll stress on the option 1: an inquisitive approach, asking if he wouldn’t mind trying it a different way to help you out, has a much higher probability of a positive outcome for everyone.

Hope it all works out

bumperbass likes this.
  4. 4 people got the non joke or there's 5 lead guitar players here.

bumperbass and oldrocker like this.
  5. John j

John j

Dec 20, 2018
    Suggest Anyway You Want It by Journey
    It has some alternate Kick Drum Bass on the chorus.
    Tell them you want to practice your timing on it and see if they'd be willing to try it.

6. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    OP. Talkbass can't solve this for you. Try a different drummer even better have an understanding, you need backup players start using them. Maybe get a drummer that can sing? Start with 20 songs drop the ones that don't work.

7. tri2bob

tri2bob

May 5, 2009
    Hickory, NC
    Sounds simple to me. The drummer isn't going to change....either you are in the wrong band or he is.

8. Kevin Lawrence

Kevin Lawrence

Feb 13, 2019
    First, is this a tribute band or a cover band?
    A cover band should make slight changes to make it their own. Playing it note for note as the original is much less important.
    Now, Timing cannot be off concerning BPM. If the drummer is playing fast, you play faster, if the drummer is playing slow, you play slower. What you play (with some limits on how fast), has nothing to do with the drummers beats per minute (BPM). The drummer playing the correct snare hits or bass beats has nothing to do with BPM. Those two things are independent of each other. I am trying to figure out if you just don't like the speed the drummer is playing and cannot adapt your bass, or, if it is the actual hits the Drummer is making are off time. as in not in the right places.
    Part of the fun is Adapting. Not being a robot playing the same part. I feel a Band that is playing covers should keep the feel and soul of the original song, but does not need to play the exact thing note for note. You can add notes, you can take away notes, you can speed it up, or slow it down.

9. zon5string

zon5string

Aug 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA

Your answer is right there. Refuse.

10. Surfers Guts

Surfers Guts

Dec 17, 2018

Leave. If the timing isn't there you're whole band is screwed. You can try telling them all privately and if they don't agree immediately then you'll have to take your leave. You all need good internal clocks. "We have to get tight!" said my last band leader. His timing was poopie. I left.

11. LowAndLazy

LowAndLazy Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Gainesville FL
    ^That!
    Bass and Drums are the clock. If the clock doesn't keep time, then it isn't worth a damn. If the rest of the band are happy with the drummer you have to go. If they aren't, the drummer has to go. Either way, something has to change.

12. There are players out there that have never experience 'the groove' hitting them on stage that's like the planets lining up and winning free beer for life... Tight to the point that you couldn't slice the beat with a razor blade. Musical orgasm. Best feeling in the world...can do no wrong... Difficult to describe but once you feel it, you know... When you're tight, the groove is always close by, just gotta reach for it.. If you're always tight, the groove is always waiting to hit.... If you're loose, well....you are 100% SOoL....

If one has timing issues, unpredictable in what they play, they will probably never experience it because they can't play something the same way twice and don't listen to anydamnbody on stage.... Nobody playing with them will ever feel it either...

Gotta listen to yourself and others with your ears, not in your head. Ensemble. Play together. Group effort in all things... Play your parts correctly....

Gotta listen with your ears... Gotta play predictably.

Some folks can.
    Some folks simply can't.
    Some folks don't know how but they can be taught.
    Some worthless rat bastidges simply WON'T under any circumstances....

13. Kevin Cooke

Kevin Cooke

May 23, 2018
    as cortrabasso pointed out....communicate, it's all you can do, focus on the parts/music, not the person,

14. TH63

TH63

Jan 30, 2016
    Phnom Pen, Cambodia
    Ask the other band members what they think. Did they perceive it the same as you?

15. scooper

scooper Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Try to fix it at practice. But during performance, you kinda gotta go with the drum beat whether it is slow or fast or doesn't syncopate the way it should. If the drummer prides him/herself on his/her work, then a good musician discussion can occur. If the drummer is a jerk and won't listen, you have to decide whether the overall band circumstances (which seem pretty good in your current situation) outweigh the annoyance. The reason why I am in my current band is that the previous bass player was said to be such a critical, abusive jerk, that the drummer quit and the rhythm guitarist was about to. You can fix a beat but not a personality so I would have a full band discussion - you might not be the only one who is troubled by the beat. You can add Bitch as another song where the bass drum beat is pretty important, even if you aren't trying to cover it necessarily. Great song for a female singer too.

16. Franksvtartover

Franksvtartover

Jun 28, 2016
    An answer from another Drummer who doesn't know what he's doing.

17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's an unfounded and uncalled for insult. I've never played drums.

Nashrakh and JPaulGeddy like this.
  18. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Yes, I know that. What I am saying is, the feel is off if the kick is off. Over the years, my experience is, if the kick is off, the song is probably going to speed up.

19. the drummer in my current band is no Neil Peart or Stewart Copeland, but he is good enough for the songs we do (covers from 1960's to current) and I don't get too hung up about it if we're not 100% in sync....

in my last band we used to do 'Under the bridge' from RHCP and that IS one song where the bass drum and bass guitar should be 100% in sync, but the drummer could never get his bass drum beat right as per the record (he also sang the song)... it used to annoy me that we were out of sync but in the end I just gave up and thought - well I'm playing my bit right.

Truth is though 99% of the people who come to see bands play wouldn't know if the drummer and bass player were out of sync... all they care about is the band is playing the music they want to hear and dance to

20. Truth in that.... However...it makes for a long night of work when you have one bandmate flying solo all the time...