1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frustration with drummer.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 6, 2019.

1. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    I missed the part about the total chaos, I thought the OP was complaining about the drummer not knowing the songs as well as he would like for him to at the first rehearsal. Listen I'm more like you than you think, as a matter of fact I'm known as a hard ass around here. Some say I expect too much from band mates but in reality I only expect them to pull their weight without being baby sat. I expect them to be on time and sober, know their parts, bring a positive attitude and put the band in front of the trivial things in life. Some guys can't handle that. But at the same time I also know that early in a project it might take a little while for some guys to get with the program. The scarcity of players at that position dictates how long it should be tolerated.

bumperbass likes this.
  2. svtb15

svtb15 SUSPENDED

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Well . Im not a hard ass are all. Im very easy going. But if hired to do a job. Do it 100%. Its work ethics .
    I agree, there are a scarcity of players at times.

JPaulGeddy and trailer like this.
  3. If you want to do it a certain way, there’s nothing wrong with that. You are within your rights to compromise and negotiate, or leave if the band will not be what you want.

But you are wrong about the “make the song your own” thing. A musician who builds a following often does it by having their own signature style, and it makes a lot of commercial sense to adapt to that style. That doesn’t excuse a drummer who didn’t prepare. But it comes back to the culture of the band. I say that not to have an argument. Just to get you thinking about another perspective.

4. Making a hash of a tune because you never learned it before rehearsing it is nothing to do with putting your own spin on it.

5. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation. I've also heard it called 'getting turned around'

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Mostly B, of course. But there were wide variations in number of verses through the solos, and some solos go off in extreme directions. And sometimes, ABB especially, sections with substantially different rhythmic patterns. The essential point being - those are bands where the members listened to everything that was going on played accordingly.

aborgman and kentiki like this.
  7. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I find it very interesting how this thread has show how many tb'ers are saying its not such a big deal. Isn't this home to "fire the drummer"? The dude showed up and didnt know the parts, period.

8. Every band is a compromise of creative vision. Being rigid is a great way to reduce your opportunities to play music.

aborgman and SoCal80s like this.
  9. drumwagon

drumwagon

Sep 5, 2016
    IMHO it is fundamental that the drum pattern is consistent each time a song is played. The drums / band don’t have to follow the pattern of the recording, they do need to be consistent. There’s no way to lock in with a drummer who is constantly freelancing on their kick pattern, and it burns me up when a drummer say, yeah I like to ‘jazz up’ the kick pattern.

Before picking up bass I was a drummer for 20 plus years. There was a point when I figured out that a kick pattern that was consistent EVERY time the song was played, was the best way to build a grove. A kick pattern consisting of (1, and 3) is completely different in feel from (1, 3 and).

Here’s a real world example, that brought it home for me as a drummer...Our set list consisted of Driver 8 (3 and kick pattern) followed immediately by secret agent man (and 3 kick pattern), both are uptempo driving songs we played at the same BPM, so we tried to transition quickly between them. On this gig I counted in secrets agent man, but I stayed with the driver 8 kick pattern, the song sat there flat until I corrected the pattern, and than immediately started to grove. After that I would write a note on my set list to remember the change.

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  10. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I agree with you but this is a cover band that is looking to do paying gigs. They arent figuring out their sound on the journey to pitching their art to a record label. The drummer had the songs and didnt prepare. Figured any similar beat would do.

bumperbass likes this.
  11. Yep! Same thing. It's a common f***up. When it happens can either hold your ground and let the guilty party figure out how to turn it BACK around or you and the rest of the band can conform to the turned around beat and then laugh about it on the break. Just don't cause a train wreck and nobody in the audience will even know.

And audience members who DO know, and then point it out to you? Well, they're simply douchenozzles. Just tell them, "That's nice. I can't believe how much better the world is now that YOU'VE put YOUR two cents into it."

A good drummer friend of mine coined a hilarious phrase: "Man, that guy was droppin' beats like a migrant farm worker." Took me a minute to get the pun. When I figured it out i completely lost it lolol

12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I totally get where you are coming from, and honestly without being in the room with this drummer it is hard to say who is right or wrong. In alot of ways this just boils down to note for note vs doing your own arrangement, and goes back to what the band decided they wanted to do at the inception. I think where you are not playing note for note, or something close to it, it has to at least still sound good and your bandmates have to also like it. In your case, his interpretation or lack thereof may be indeed ruining it.

Your take on "make the song your own" is correct...but only sometimes. Sometimes people really have done the homework and still make the conscious choice to change something up.

Now if there is one thing i have learned about playing in bands is that you have to be flexible. You have to be able to meet someone in the middle, musically, and them to you. When nobody is willing to bend, it just won't work out. And there will always be times when no amount of bending is enough to make it work and you part ways. As a bass player, i feel it is part of my role to support the rest of the band, and often times that means i am the one to do most of the bending to achieve that goal. I'm willing to make everyone else sound good at my own expense(and i am proud of that fact as it's my way of serving the music first).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  13. Well put.

Seanto likes this.
  14. svtb15

svtb15 SUSPENDED

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Much boils down to Playing For The Song. Not for oneself.
    However, all the players involved need to be versed well enough to be able to know how to Play for the Song. I think it is INSTINCTUAL.

15. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Exactly!

16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    try to adapt to his drumming a bit, see how it sounds, ask the group as a whole what everyone thinks, record the band at rehearsal, and listen together.

17. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    You know what I mean.

18. Either your sarcasm is too blunt or else you are completely clueless.

19. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I see that from the other side. If I am the bassist AND the drummer then there's no conflict to start with.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  20. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Why do you carry on with the clueless?