1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funk only forum??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frag, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    Man, ever since I signed onto TB all I ever hear is "Funk this, Jazz that, Fusion the other" Aren't there ANY metalhead Bass guitarists (like me) who get their kicks from Iron Maiden, Rhapsody, Dream Theatre, Manowar ect ect. Don't get me wrong, I have the greatest respect for all types of music, but I CAN'T be the only metal bass guitarist on TB, just please, someone, anyone, mention Heavy metal for once.

2. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    OK... Heavy Metal. :D

Actually, Is supect there are heavy metal players among us. But the truth of the matter is likely that heavy metal has a smaller base than the other genre's you have mentioned simply because the others are a bit more prominent industry-wide and they have been around longer.

Anyhow, regardless of the number of heavy metal players among us, thanks for your participation here! The opportunity to learn from each other is what makes forums great.

3. In actuality there are a number of metal heads here on the forum. Do a search you'll find plenty of metal related threads. Theres a great thread in the technique section on death metal technique. Hell some of the most common threads are, "whats the best bass for metal?" or "whats the best amp for metal?"

4. Look in the recordings section you will find a lot of guys who like metal. Just search metal and you'll find all kinds of us. I like all types of music but my favorite to play and listen to is metal/stoner.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Fusion ftw.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'm not sure this discussion belongs in basses - maybe Miscellaneous?

But my thought is that a large percentage of players are going to gravitate towards a genre where their instrument is featured or that lets them show off a bit. For bass that would be funk, fusion and progressive rock. Jazz too, but it isn't as mainstream and often features a double bass.

I think that's true of a significant percentage of any musicians on a particular instrument.

7. littlezak

littlezak

Mar 4, 2007
    +1 to what the BigO said

8. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Hmm. My post got deleted...anyway, yeah, there's lots of us here.

9. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    they play bass in metal? I thought one of the guitarists just tuned down :)

hahahahaha I kid I kid..

When a genre of music has so much to offer a bassist like Funk you cant help but see it dominating bassists.

With funk and motown it grooves it flows. Its more melodic, it is its own entity. Its out front and in your face.

Not that there isnt a lot of talented bassists in metal, cause there obviously are, but a good majority of it, is just following the guitarist. IMHO

I am a metal head thru and thru but I dont like playing it. To me Metal is more guitar driven then any other style of music. And that bores me as a bassist.

But then again im in a motown phase where hearing Jamerson play is just boggling. Man he was so in the pocket.

10. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I'm not discounting what you said because it makes sense, i've only played in a heavy metal band for 2 1/2 years now, but I was under the impression that the bassist followed the drummer and the rythem guitarist followed the bassist.

11. A guitarist that follows the bass player? You sir are a lucky man! I can't even get the guitarist in the band I'm in to even attempt to try riffs that I write.

12. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    Haha it doesnt always work, I recently wrote a bassline in the mixolydian and his exact words were "you HAVE to be joking me?"

13. Ha, I always get. "I can't hear bass well I can't figure out what you're doing."

14. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    My reply to that would be something along the lines of..."you see that knob that says g a i n, turn it to the left" haha

15. That never works. Well at least he's not one of those guys who tells you what to play. I pretty much get to do whatever I want as long is it doesn't sound like poop. I have friends who play in bands where they are told what to play and how to play it. Imagine playing the roots of the guitar part with no fills or runs or even fifths or octaves for a 5 to 10 minute guitar wankathon. Being told what to play is fine if you're getting paid to practice and paid to play but this is a band not a solo project featuring hired guns. I consider myself lucky for the most part.

16. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I guess I am lucky at that, i'm encouraged to play fills whenever I want as long as it fits in with the song, i'm also encouraged to come up with some bass solo's so the lead doesn't have it all his own way.

17. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Amen.

:hyper:

Metal is for kids or old buggers who don't know when to quit.

Yeah!

18. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just get off playing metal bass guitar, also I love listening to Metal bands like Iron maiden and Manowar, ever heard Joey Dimaio (Manowar) tapping on an 8 string picolo bass, the stuff that dreams are made of.

19. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Yes. I've heard of him. But I'd much rather listen to Ric Fierabracci.

20. Some might say that fusion is for music snobs and wankers. I don't have a problem with it but some might say that.