1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fusion 550 mute switch not functioning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bromosapian, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    I've had the amp for about two months and I never bothered to plug a tuner into the back or use the mute switch on the front of the amp, so i figured that when I hit the tuner mute on the pedal and it didnt work it was because there wasn't a tuner plugged in. This was not the case. With the tuner in or out, the mute on either the amp or the pedal does not work. Anyone else have this problem before?

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Does the LED flash blue?

3. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Nope. In either switch position it is solid blue, and the green light never comes on for the tuning mute.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    What type of footswitch?
    If you unplug the footswitch, does that make the front switch work?

5. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Nope. Its just the standard footswitch for the fusion 550 I believe. channel + tuner mute.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'd call GK then.
    If it were mine, I'd want to look at that front-panel switch to see if it's connected. Seems it is tied into the operation of the footswitch as well.
    Not sure of you are comfortable doing that, and if not, you should not think of checking it. There is inherent danger in doing anything inside the amp. So I am NOT recommending it.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Hey, any luck?

8. Did you get the amp used or new? If new call GK, if used open that amp up.

9. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Err, its used but I'm sorta afraid to open it up. Guess it cant hurt as long as I dont touch anything.

10. Have you tried the mute switch with the foot switch unplugged? It should be up when using the foot switch BTW as well as the channel switch being in the up position, or the foot switch is inop.

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Read the manual... it has the answers! lol

12. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Manual doesn't help, but I just realized that I was only unplugging the footswitch itself, not the cable from the back of the amp. Its a footswitch issue, opening it up now.

13. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Duuuude......
    ;)
    Let us know how it goes.

14. If you don't unplug the cable from the back of the amp the amp still thinks the footswitch is connected!

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned a 550.... It is likely broken. Call GK. It must still be under warranty.

DON'T open it yourself. Waaayyyyy too many moving parts involved in the 550. Don't screw it up even worse.

16. I still own a Fusion 550. As per the manual for the footswitch to operate the mite and channel switch must be in the up position. Un plug the cable to return to front panel operation. DO THIS FIRST before you think about tech service. Or do as you wish :)

17. Baird6869

Of course, if you have the footswitch Cable plugged into the amp with no footswitch attached.... Slap yourself in the head then plug in the footswitch or unplug the cable from the amp!:bag::D

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1!!!! Seriously now, you think the amp is broken, and you have the footswitch cable still plugged in? Come on.

19. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    I think you guys missed the part where I realized I still had the thing still plugged in. My issue is now with the footswitch being borked in the right switch. Realized my only screw driver was an electric, which nearly threaded the screws in the footswitch because they were in so tight. Need to get a manual one, welp.

20. Baird6869

Now I am even more confused!;)