1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    At one point, I owned an SR5.
    I also, own a Fender equipped with a pair of Mike Lull T-Bass pickups.
    I own 2 G&L L-1000s, as well.

I agree with everything you said.

2. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    MFDs for the win! I'm doing a Fender/Warmoth P build and I'm using, you guessed it, and MFD P pickup. I'm going with 500k pots. Should bring the pain; grind city!

pjbassist, TonyP- and RandM like this.
  3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Will you please explain that to my wife ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  4. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    A little-little video on My ‘neck wood’ for the CLF L-2500

Maple Ebony

5. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Slightly different video

BrentSimons and Remoman like this.
  6. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Has anyone else had a wait when ordering from the G&L online store? I ordered a pickup a week ago. It hasn't shipped yet. I emailed and haven't received a response. I called and left a message and haven't heard back. Its holding up my whole project. Are pickups made to order?

7. Wow, it sounds good! I'm surprised that a short scale can sound that...bassy!

I also appreciate that there isn't as much string noise on this video. I found that I could easily hear the bass.

John

8. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I know they are all up in arms going NAMM crazy right now. A new booth with companies they are dealing with ect...

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  9. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I would like to replace the nut on one of my Tribute LB100 basses. Does anyone know of which Tusq but would fit with minimal fuss? Thanks

10. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Some jerk on the G&L Instagram

D20F7249-D6B1-4722-A118-87DE278140E0.

AGH, pjbassist, BrentSimons and 9 others like this.
  11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I saw that last night. Very cool. Glad you’re enjoying this journey.

One Way and TonyP- like this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

OK so the Lulls are sitting in cases for a while huh :)

TonyP- likes this.
  13. /\/\3phist0

Todd carving a nut from a blank isn't too difficult. I have never once been happy with the results of a "pre cut"

14. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    It’s just a nice addition to the stable...
    Personally there is nothing like my TP5s, but this is a great alternative and it does the meat & potato thing so much better then an active PJ5.

15. /\/\3phist0

I was joshing, just figured you'd be spending time digging into the tones.
    I'm guessing NAMM will see you demoing @ G&L booth?

Nice axe --- so how bout some betta / mo Pics?

TonyP- likes this.
  16. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Perhaps not, but I wanted to have a decent head start. I tried modifying the stock nut and did a terrible uneven job. So I don't really trust my ability to create the initial cut.

I ordered 2 Tusq nuts that were each supposed to be precision bass width. One looks to be shorter and have a radius on the back. The other is taller, flat on the bottom and probably needs to be filed down. At around $10-13 each, it's a cheap gamble. We shall see.

17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I know ;)
    So at this time I don’t think there are performances at G&L booth at NAMM, there will be a small amp there but as far as I know nothing. My original band will be doing a short set at Leo Lounge (most likely the day before).

Cheers :thumbsup:

AGH, BrentSimons, Remoman and 2 others like this.
  18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Here you go.

Hope you like Bryan Adams...;) I had no idea what to play (first time sharing a sample), and my band is working up Run To You so hope you enjoy...;)

First is both pickups wide open parallel, then single, and last series.

Then it repeats for the neck pickup only, and lastly the bridge only.

My favorite setting so far, is bridge single maxed, neck series 90-95%, and tone rolled off 50-60%.

Strings are brand new Cobalt Slinky Flat Heavy Gauge and I play finger style just in front of the bridge pickup.

Everything recorded direct into garage band with no effects/modeling.

Pickup Height:

[​IMG]

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

• l2k.mp3
      File size:
      5 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    I have absolutely nothing against Bryan Adams ! And your sample is exactly what I was looking for, a raw and clean take so I can clearly hear the tonal differences.

Kudos for your playing btw, very clean and regular !

Have your tried raising the bridge PU a bit ?

gidbass and TonyP- like this.
  20. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I’ve been playing with pickup height on this bass trying to get volume unity to match with my others...;). Not done yet...

these pickups are unlike any I’ve used before...in a good way...;)

Thanks for the compliment!

/\/\3phist0 and TonyP- like this.