1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I remember the first time I heard my recorded bass track soloed at my first "session" 25 or so years ago. I was aghast! It was so out of time! It sounded so thin! So much noise!

Well, most of it was true; I was a snot nosed punk thinking I had all the answers.

These days, I just play and like @lowfreqgeek said, the noise and grit adds to the character and makes a bass sound so much more interesting to me.

However, if I'm as good as Steve (I'm not) and I'm trying to demo a product for people to hear, you bet I want the cleanest, truest sound I can get.

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Some of the issue is the live mic equed for speaking picking up the noise of the dry instrument itself in the room.
    Likely if the mic was entirely out of the final audio stream, or the bass was solo direct as the audio stream, the buzz and clank would be greatly diminished, if not entirely absent.
    Even the miced cabinet being right at the elbow, and the low decibels the cabinet produces, it's likely again that this is room sound sensed by the Mic.

3. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    Well, it's out! Here's the Fallout short scale...

Jon Moody, RandM, MG Wolf and 3 others like this.
  4. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    :drool::drool::drool:
    I want one under the tree !

5. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The wife said racing green, darn the luck

armybass likes this.
  6. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hi, everyone I’m a prospective buyer for a G&L 2000. I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube and read reviews. It was between the G&L and a Music Man. I decided on the G&L 2000. I was wondering if anyone had any examples of this bass being played in hard rock/metal environment ? Thanks !

RandM, jd56hawk and jefff100 like this.
  7. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    I dont have a video clip to directly answer your question but I play both Music Man StingRay 5 and G&L L1505 basses.

I can tell you without hesitation that the L series can punch harder and has more inherited natural “grind” than the stingray. The G&L can be a versatile bass, I can go from organic woody tones --> old school thump --> aggressive & in your face punch - all without effects pedals or even touching the tone knobs on the amp.

The tone controls are "different" than other basses, it takes a little time to find out how you like it. The MFD pickups are naturally very hot, so even in passive mode, I often will use the -10 dB pad on the gain section of my amp (or just turn down your gain on the amp if you only run one bass). I dont dime out the volume knob on my G&L and the bass and treble knobs are more of a cut function; whereas most active basses you have boost/cut.

I like both basses, they are different and there is room for both in my stable.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    TonyP- and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  8. Boitameuh

Boitameuh

Dec 11, 2014
    France
    You can ear a L-2000 on Helmet records and lives :

(the guitar is also a G&L model)

9. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    I was ok until I saw the yellow. Damn you G&L!

(Just wish it had an ebony board)

upload_2019-11-5_22-47-30.

10. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Me neither...and yet....

dannnnn and jd56hawk like this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Must resist .

At least till tax refund time.

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    OMG is right!
    Sorry for deleting that.
    I may reconsider buying one next year.
    The Yellow looks great and the matching headstock puts it over the top!

Luigir and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  13. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    I’ve seen then for years and have never tried one. And well I may end up trading a higher end bass for one to just get my hands on a G&L2000

14. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Brisket, Sausage, and Fried Okra Sandwich.
    I play G&L basses.

4stringsjack, Kriegs and TonyP- like this.
  15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Years ago I went through a Musiciman Pierod (I had a bunch and did some modding as well), I cannot comment on the L1505 in particular BUT the MFDs have noticeably more grind and aggressive then Stingray pickups.

The only other pickup that had this kind of output is the Lull T Bird But it’s softer sounding and more lower mid vintage-like then the MFD.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  16. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Bacalhau for dinner last night
    [​IMG]
    Basses for recording tonight
    upload_2019-11-6_14-31-29. upload_2019-11-6_14-32-6.

Newbilong, dave64o, jefff100 and 3 others like this.
  17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    With a little Tabasco sauce, right?

dave64o and Kriegs like this.
  18. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nah. I was in a rush.

Gravedigger Dav and Kriegs like this.
  19. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Jersey Pine Barrens
    love the SB-2!

Gravedigger Dav, dave64o and Kriegs like this.
  20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Fried catfish and a fretless JB tonight.

bass10bfb, RocketMusic and Kriegs like this.