1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured G&L Introduces Short Scale Fallout Bass - Launch Edition

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Nov 7, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    The new Fallout Bass Launch Edition is available in three exciting colors decked out with racing stripes. This 30” short scale powerhouse features a G&L Magnetic Field Design humbucking pickup controlled by a 3-position mini--toggle switch for parallel/split/OMG modes - just like an L-1000 - bringing anything from modern to old school tones to your fingertips. What's more, players used to a traditional 34" scale will find this pint size puncher super easy to play.

Other features include an Alder body, Maple bolt-on neck, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Saddle-Lock Bridge and Custom G&L Ultra Lite tuners, and La Bella Nickel Roundwound short scale strings.

Available in:
    • British Racing Green with Competition Stripes over Alder with Caribbean rosewood fingerboard
    • Miami Blue with Competition Stripes over Alder with Caribbean rosewood fingerboard
    • Racing Yellow with Competition Stripes over Alder with Caribbean rosewood fingerboard
    Fallout PressRelease.

www.glguitars.com

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    sounds like a bass i'll definitely want to try.

too bad for me they didn't make one color sans racing stripes...

3. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    Huh, I thought I was the only one who couldn't digest stripes on instruments. Seems awesome otherwise.

4. izpak

izpak

Feb 17, 2016
    Essex, UK
    Part of me wants a yellow one to match my refinned MiM Jazz. But the British Racing Green one looks great.

Gizmot and dramatwist like this.
  5. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Interesting that the stripes on the yellow model go under the bridge, but the other's do not.

WallaceSnr, TheAndinator and teh-slb like this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Orangeclawhammr and Bunk McNulty like this.
  7. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If they can legally use their old headstock as they've done with the CLF instruments, I don't see why they don't use it on more instruments. That headstock is the one thing stopping me from wanting a G&L.

dramatwist and Admiral Akbar like this.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  9. Very cool looking instruments.
    What? Why? How? That seems like an odd statement to make....

"Drive the new Chevrolet Whatever! Only available in Standard transmission, but that is super easy for those used to automatic!"

60bass, monsterthompson and SirMjac28 like this.
  10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    The green and blue even have a different spacing relative to the bridge, just by my eyeball.

gbrooding likes this.
  11. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Price?

12. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    G&L Fallout Bass launch soon?

This thread has seen $2,400, $1,699, and $1,299 (also posted above).

There was also a GBP Price in there but I can’t find it or recall.

13. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Ouch.

14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Yeah. $2,400 is ridiculous. $1,699 still raises an eyebrow. $1,299 seems more than I’d have expected but not impossibly high. Particularly if a sale price happens, or as the the used market develops.

A JMJ is $999, just for perspective.

15. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    $1,299 is right on the money in terms of fitting in to G&L’s current price structure, and very fair compared to Fender’s currently offered U.S.A. made short necks. The closest comparable Fender is the American Performer Mustang Bass at $1,200 without a hard case, with a matte neck. The Fallout Bass is $100 more, has a hard case, has a gloss finished neck, and it is a limited edition “launch” version with a matching head (normally a $150 option at G&L) and racing stripes (also $$$ if requested via custom order). The Launch Edition will be discontinued at the end of November.

Admittedly, the Fender is overpriced by about $200 to $300 IMO, just like everything they make on the standard Corona production line since their price restructuring of the past two years. Still, though, I think $1,300 for the Fallout Launch Edition is very fair. Their normal Fullerton Deluxe passive models are $1,500, and aren’t limited launch edition with a matching head and racing stripes. I am guessing that once the Fallout Bass enters regular production in the standard Fullerton Deluxe line, it’ll be a $1,200 or $1,250 retail bass that easily smokes the American Performer Mustang Bass at the same price point.

The dealer I had been in discussions with told me $1,699, but I am thinking they accidentally quoted me a list price, not retail. $1,700 would be dumb...but $1,300 is very fair IMO. I wasn’t going to bite at $1,700, but at $1,300, I am going to get a yellow one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Jon Moody, Gizmot, Lowbrow and 3 others like this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I love the new headstock! I don't mind the stripes!
    But I think the pickguard on this one is an ABOMINATION :sour:

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The “scoop” headstock is far more attractive to me than the old ones. Those CLF Research ones are clunky looking oars IMO. G&L’s headstocks are the only non-Fender ones on the market that I like.

Gizmot likes this.
  18. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    dralionux likes this.
  19. "Just last week my wife told me that a yellow one was missing in my stable."

Note to self: Have raphaeld's wife speak to mine ...

20. Looks cool, sounds good, and only a $1700 starting price....and I can't get past the name "OMG mode". I really hope it stands for something else.

I very recently played the new Fender Mustang limited edition with the ebony board and I would prefer it over the G&L. A Supro Huntington is also less expensive...