1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L-1000 Bleg

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jun 3, 2014.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I've had some interest recently in an early G&L model that is long out of production: the G&L L-1000! This is a passive L-Series bass with a single pickup that is closer to the neck than the current single pickup model (the L-1500). It's also passive with volume and separate treble & bass cut controls plus a 3-way toggle for twin coil humbucking, single rear coil, and single coil with extreme bass boost.

G&L has offered to do a limited run of L-1000 style basses for me if I order 6 of them. BABP did a run of these a few years back, and that's what G&L is offering to build. There are some minor changes from the original L-1000 from the '80s, namely the neck construction (bi-cut rather than skunk stripe), headstock shape and lack of a control plate. That's just to keep in line with G&L's current production techniques.

The bass will be priced like an L-1500, meaning it starts at $1500 MSRP = $1125 Internet. That includes a hardshell case and free shipping.

I'm willing to stock one of these, so I'll need to get at least 5 firm commitments before the orders can all be entered at the same time. A 20% non-refundable deposit will represent a firm commitment. The balance would not be due until the bass is ready to ship, which it is typically 2-3 months after the order is placed.

Before we get to the deposit taking stage, though, I'd be happy to just hear verbally if there are any folks here on TB interested in taking part in this! If it looks like we're getting close to 5 or 6 orders, then we can start thinking about deposits...

Any takers? :)

dedpool1052 and craigb like this.
  2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

ME! ME!

I'm going to order a new G&L in next couple of weeks and my BABP L1K is my favorite, so I'd love to get one of these. Fits my love of an MFD neck pickup, requirement for a 1.5" nut width, and desire for simplicity. Greg already knew about me but I thought I'd jump in to the thread anyway :)

RocketMusic likes this.
  3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Craig! I hope we can pull it together!

4. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Count me in - if they're available lefty :) I'd rather have a wider nut width (1.625" or 1.75") if that's possible.

digi, dedpool1052 and RocketMusic like this.
  5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm checking on which neck profile is the default/no-charge option, and I'll also check on the availability of a lefty!

I'm sure any of their neck profiles are available, it's just a question of which one is free... more info to come!

bhunt1 likes this.
  6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Hmmmm, if they did a 5ver...........

RocketMusic likes this.
  7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Let me check on that, too! Given that there's an L-1505 model now, I suspect this may be a possibility.

8. digi

digi

Jun 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I would also be interested in a lefty!

RocketMusic likes this.
  9. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Weird. I'm a lefty too. More of us in here then rightys.

RocketMusic likes this.
  10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Nothing wrong with that! :)

bhunt1 likes this.
  11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    FWIW - my G&L rep is still waiting to get final word from G&L on the outstanding questions so far:

1) Lefty?
    2) 5-String?
    3) Which neck profile is the default?

I'll post here as soon as I hear something...

digi and bhunt1 like this.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There's some righty's around too ;)
    I didn't know there was this thread!

I 5 would be interesting, but they'll never do it in "normal" string spacing....

RBrownBass likes this.
  13. Is there a choice of alder or ash?
    I would be into one with a # 8 quarter sawn neck. I loved the old L1000. I would prefer alder light weight body( as possible) with maple board.

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yes, the typical G&L options all apply. The only question on the #8 neck is whether that's an upcharge. I need to know what the default neck is to answer that. If the default is #8, then it would not be an upcharge; otherwise, it would be $50 MSRP.

15. JI99

JI99 Guest

Jan 24, 2007
    Very interested Greg, pm'd you a few ago.
    Jim

16. I assume this includes all standard finishes (or premier with the standard up-charge)?

dmac1961 likes this.
  17. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yessir, that's the way it will work! Flake Metallics, too, with their usual upcharge.

18. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    since bringing in the #12 neck profile for the M-series basses and now making them standard on the L-series, I would think the standard neck profile on these would be the #12 as well. after seeing that matching headstock CAR LB-100 in the other thread, it's making this limited run extremely tempting.

bhunt1 likes this.
  19. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    You know you want to :)

RocketMusic likes this.
  20. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    hmm, a CAR L-1000 with matching headstock strung up with a set of chromes. it would be a killer looking bass with a sound to match.

RocketMusic likes this.