1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien 2001 RB Or...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FiveStringer1, Jun 10, 2017.

1. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013
    Hey. I'm currently running an EBS Fafner 1 on my two LDS custom cabs which each contain 15, 10, 6.5 and need to find a thunderous gut wrenching head! The EBS is a great sounding head... but maybe for jazz and that kind of thing. Not for metal. Someone told me that the GK 2001 RB has that ability. I also tried a 4 pro and a 6 pro. The 6 was definitely better, but not gut wrenching enough. I can't stand the Class D toy heads out there. Have had several over the past 7 years and NONE had cut it for me.

Any thoughts or ideas from Metal players?

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm not a metal player and don't know your cabs, but I recall playing a 2000 RB and thinking it was mean as hell. A Genz GBE 1200 might be worth looking into (some non-metal clips in my sig, but it can grind on the tube side). Haven't played one, but from what I've read and heard I'd look hard at a Mesa Titan V12.

Other options: various pre + power setups, pedals, or, if your cabs are reasonably efficient, a variety of tube heads.

Not sure what variety of gut-wrenching you're going for - and, again, metal is not my forte - but that's where I'd start.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  3. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013
    Hey MarkA... thanks for your response! Regarding the Mesa, a friend of mine used to own that head and he had numerous issues with it and that it kept shutting down on him several times thru-out his gigs. He even sent it into Mesa for repair and when he got it back, he took the cover off to inspect and he said they did a few things, including mounting a 120 fan in the cover to help cool. But he said it Still kept shutting down on him. Then Mesa agreed to take the head back and sent him a brand new one and SAME THING! Both my friend and I have gone thru the Mesa era in our lives. The ONLY Mesa that I believe would be worthy today would be the Strategy. But who's got the money for THAT!?

I have been looking into the GK 2001 RB for a little over a month now and have seen good and bad about the head. When I call Sweetwater to order one on 3 occasions now... they have worked to talk me out of purchasing that head... saying it is a good head if you like a really clean sound. a few different (so-called) sales engineers have all told me the head is not the best choice for me, yet they don't seem to have a recommendation for me. Some so-called engineers!!

Anyway... I have come to the position that I will not buy from Sweetwater and go against their recommendation to stay away from the GK head. I found a used one in perfect condition for $750 and I'm seriously considering. I really just wanted to get a few more thoughts on it and is why I posted here.

TonyP- likes this.
  4. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass Guitars,
    I saw Testament last year and SDG was using a Fafner. His tone was amazing! Perhaps it's your cabs or bass?

The 2001 is really clear, punchy and articulate, but I'd you would find a distortion pedal far more suited to metal grind than the built in distortion

meatwad and kap'n kro like this.
  5. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    You should just get a 1001RB. Or 700RB if you want more grind. Both will get plenty loud! I've been using a 700RB II since 2005 without a single issue and extensive use.

6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    No personal experience with Galien Krueger amps, but judging from what I read and the demo's I heard, I think you might be on the right track.

Kruegers are raw, punchy and in your face as hell, but as someone already wrote in this thread, in a very clear and defined way, my kind of ideal bass tone as well.

Can't stand Class D amps either.

Something completely wrong about amps you are able to spin on your index finger without much effort and often looks like the design aesthetics were taken from 80's digital toy synths (says the one that use an Ibanez Mikro as his main bass :p).

As it is though, I am pretty happy with my 2 amp SS/Tubes setup, consisting of an SM series Trace Elliot combo from the early 90's area, for the clean aspect of my tone and an old Dynacord tube heads from the 60's, for adding some grit to that.

However if my Trace should ever fail me beyond repair I would seriously consider investing in a Gallien Krueger as well as my go to SS amp.

I'd say go for it! :bassist:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    FiveStringer1 likes this.
  7. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I love my GK 1001RB-II. Sure it can be clean, but you can make it growl too. I believe Flea is using the 2001RB. so you can use his tone as an example. There are a lot of top players using GK.

johnnyplaysbass and son_of_mogh like this.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know if the 2001 will meet your definition of "gut-wrenching", but it is a killer head, though-and-through. It will punch a hole in the universe while still staying clean, articulate, and not getting that compressed fartiness that some amps will. If you ever need more power with the 2001, then it's time to think about investing in your own personal PA system.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  9. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    +1 for the GK. Used a 1001 for a long time before changing to a Demeter tube pre and crown xti. While I love my set up now, the GK really let the character of whatever bass I was playing come through, which is not so much the case with the Demeter...

10. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    That's a good point.

OP, how many Ohms are your cabs? If we look at the GK specs (the manuals, particularly for the 2001 and how it's wired for bridging, are worth reading, btw), there is some flexibility but also some limitations for a two cab setup like yours (on the other hand, if you want to run eight, 8 Ohm cabs, you can do that). If they're 8 Ohm cabs, you can bridge for 1000+ Watts or run each at 240 Watts if you want to push the power amp more and get it to growl that way (which GK amps are known for). That could be cool. If they're 4 Ohm cabs, you're stuck running one per side for about 700 Watts total.

2001 RB Output Power Woofer Amplifier (There's also a separate tweeter amp for use with GK or other appropriately wired cabs, but that won't be relevant to you -- just run the amp in full-range mode):
    • 2 x 540W @ 2 Ohms
    • 2 x 360W @ 4 Ohms
    • 2 x 240W@ 8 Ohms
    • 1080W bridged @4 Ohms
    • 650W bridged @8 Ohms
    If your cabs are 4 Ohms, the 700 RB and the 1001 RB won't be options, as they're 4 Ohms minimum. If, as I suspect, they're 8 Ohms, you're looking at ~700 Watts @ 4 Ohms for the 1001 RBII, ~500 Watts for the 700RBII.

For two 4 Ohm cabs, the 2001 is the only GK RB series option. For two 8 Ohm cabs:
    • 2001 RB lets you choose between ~1000 and ~500 Watts
    • 1001 RB gets you 700 Watts
    • 700 RB gets you ~500 Watts
    Depends on whether you want to push the power amp, split the middle, or have gobs of headroom (and the ability to push the amp if you want). For reference, the Fafner 2 is listed at 600 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 750 Watts at 2 Ohms; Fafner for a little less at 360/500 Watts, respectively.

The 1001 and 700 are about 20 pounds lighter than the 2001 and can be had cheaper.

When I played the 2000 RB it was through a sealed Ampeg 410. Even though I was nowhere near taking advantage of its potential power with that setup, it was mean, snarling, and dynamic as hell. In that moment, I channeled Flea as successfully as I ever have. That's not what you're going for, though (unless maybe some Mars Volta?), and I can't speak to the RB distortion. As a platform for something else (pedal, etc.) you might really dig it, but I don't know.

After all that, here's a suggestion: Add the phrase "Metal Content!" to the title of your post, indicate how many Ohms your cabs are in the OP, and post some clips of tones you like. That should get you help from people who'll have a better clue than I do!

You should also check out Juan Alderete's Youtube channel where he plays and reviews a zillion different pedals. I'm curious how you might like one of the Amptweaker pedals in front of your Fafner -- I have a Bass Tight Fuzz and it's pretty cool, but the Tight Drive looks like it might be more metal, maybe... @tombowlus has played some of them, I think, but pedals are a deep rabbit hole and that's as far as I'll go.

11. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    Another vote for the 1001RB. You will NOT need more power. It's the loudest 700 watts on the planet. Louder than 1200 watt amps I have played. If you can live with a 4 ohm load the 1001 is what you are looking for. It can get super grindy.

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I'm thinking a 1001 would do the job very well.

Mystic Michael, son_of_mogh and kpc like this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    2001RB or Mesa Carbine M9. Either will destroy and not offer a single apology.

LiquidMidnight and son_of_mogh like this.
  14. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013

It's not my cabs. He is endorsed and when you push a bass amp thru a $300k+ PA system, you can make ANY bass amp sound like a million bucks!! Good for him, tho. But I should note: The Fafner 1 and 2 are two different animals.

Thanks But I owned one for about a month and sold it. Did Not do it for me.

15. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

Oct 28, 2013
    MarkA: cabs are 8 ohms each @ 700 watts RMS. And these are the 15's in my cabs:
    Pair Beyma 15G40 15" Woofer Waterproof Cone xlnt Bass Guitar Speaker 8ohm 97dB | eBay
    The 10's and 6.5's are Eminense (don't rem the model, but good Neo's).

The thing I like about the 2001 RB is all of the connections on the back. The 1001 RB does not have all of the versatility of the 2001 RB.

I always loved Mike Starr's sound and Eddie Jackson's of the old day (1995 or older), Mike Inez's sound is pretty good too, tho I would never carry a 2 pro around at 100 pounds in rack!

son_of_mogh likes this.
  16. Preoxii

Preoxii

Sep 22, 2016
    I have a RB 2001, and have no complaints... very happy with it, but I've used GK's primarily for 30+ years...

son_of_mogh likes this.
  17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Take a look at Carvin’s BX1600. At $649 it’s a good price. They also have the earlier BX1500, which I own, for $100 less.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Any head can be used for any genre. You just have to experiment with the EQ. I've had a 6 PRO and found that it was able to do everything I needed. I also have an SVT CL which can do it all. Heavy as hell but worth it.

19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I always find myself apologizing after I destroy. It's a habit I'm trying break.

How so, and which do you have? Have you had enough power with it, with your cabs, for what you do?

If you think you'll use it and if you like the idea of being able, functionally speaking, to switch between a 500 Watt and a 1000 Watt amp, the 2001 might be worth the extra cost and weight. Otherwise, the 1001 looks like it would do a capable job.

Tonally, I suspect that there are many roads to your particular Rome, but if you dig the GK vibe, then it's just a matter of picking the power and features you want. One other thing. 1001s are plentiful -- if the 2001 is a rare deal -- or if you know you want its features -- you might want to snag that. If not, maybe try a 1001 and see if it does it for you.

Good luck.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  20. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    If you're not going to go micro/classD, then just get an SVT. Stick whichever TS9clonewithablendknob overdrive infront of it and there ya go. I've been playing a GK 800RB for the last 20 years. Clear, articulate, and gets grindy with the right gain setting. Warm and deep, it is NOT.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021