1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garrett Sayers - a dude that commands respect

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Guys, get Instrumental Dissent by The Motet.
    Also pick up Music for Life.

Garrett Sayers holds down the groove with a Lakland 4-94, and has some of the best solo chops around. Not a joke. He is a heavy cat.
    Sorry no YouTube. You'll just have to pick up those 2 albums and you will never regret it.

Here's an interview with him:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storycode=15888

faulknersj likes this.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I picked up Instrumental Dissent awhile back, I really dig his playing and the whole bands vibe.

3. I have Music for Life, great music and a kick ass bassist for sure. I really love his tone and groove.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked up two of The Motet's albums after Sayers was briefly covered in Bass Player.
    He reminds me of hearing Oteil Burbridge back in '84 or so...and that ain't a bad thing.

gebass6 likes this.
  5. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I saw Garrett and the Motet Trio (bass, sax, drums) open for Scofield, Medesky and Deich at the Boulder theatre last week. Talked with Garrett after the show. Not only a great player but a really nice guy as well.

Then there was the Scofield set - Yikes!

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ha! Cool to see Garrett getting some mention here. Heavy cat says it all; just a monster groove player with strong jazz skills as well. He supposedly started on upright, but I've never heard him in that context; would be interesting.

I'm listening to this *smokin* Motet set right now:

http://www.archive.org/details/motet2007-04-22.matrix

/rick

7. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    garrett's the man! cool guy also. i've had the pleasure of seeing him many times through the years.

8. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    man, i dunno how i missed this on the archive. thanks for posting it up ;)

9. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
  10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  11. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    when i 1st saw garrett, he was killing it on fretless stingray (w/ boston band the miracle orchestra)... i believe that is what christian was playing on that track (i know he has a pensa of his own). he now plays w/ soul artist dwele, as well as the motet.

12. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    Unfortunately, I didn't find out about Garrett till *after* the Miracle Orchestra; wish I could've caught that band live.

/rick

13. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I've been seeing Garrett ever since he moved to Boulder (I played with the Motet drummer, Dave Watts for the previous 10 years in Skin and Shockra) and he's without a doubt my favorite bassist in Colorado. A very wonderful human being as well. It's always a joy to hang with him. Colorado has a very cool musical family, of which the Motet is a nexus. Almost everyone out here has played with them. Thanksgiving feasts when everyone comes together are great!

14. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    PS I believe that is the Fully Celebrated Miracle Orchestra. Timo was the bassist in that outfit when I lived in Boston.

15. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    Hi Edwin. Fully Celebrated is a different band; I think they're still around and Timo is still playing with them. Lotta "orchestras" up here in beantown :).

Here's the MO's old myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/themiracleorchestra

btw, I was talking with Geoff Scott, the Miracle Orchestra's guitarist, last weekend and the idea of a reunion show came up; it would be a wonderful thing if it happened.

/rick

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  16. Not much to add....I remember catching his 1st show with the Motet in a small bar in Steamboat Springs at a String Cheese aftershow....

My avatar says the rest...:D

17. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Reviving this thread, perhaps. I was hipped to The Motet about six months ago, and I've been really digging them. Sayers' is a monster player too. Incidentally, The Motet station on Pandora is one of my favorites, and it's often what we play through the PA in between sets.

I'll be seeing them for the first time in about a month. Pretty amped up about that.

18. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    I know I'm way late to the party - but I just discovered the Motet and Garrett's playing. Wow. The concert at Red Rocks this year was unreal:

faulknersj, RickC and jerry like this.
  19. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    Old thread, reviving it again because Garrett is awesome.

Goatee220, faulknersj, JimK and 2 others like this.
  20. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just asked Alexa to play The Motet. I like it! Cool bass.