1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC used inventory down substantially?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the federalist, Mar 25, 2020.

1. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot. Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Almost every day I take a glance at used basses and amps at GC.

In the past few days the inventory seems to have dipped substantially. I never kept close track of the exact number of used basses or amps, but it seems to be 60 to 70 percent of what it normally is.

As of Wednesday, March 25 at 9:00 am, GC has a total of 499 used basses, including only 71 Fenders, 12 Epiphones and 18 Peaveys. Usually there's a lot more of each of these brands.

There's a total of 436 bass amps of any type, with only 19 GK and 6 Mesa Boogie.

I suppose buying from GC is going on at the same rate as always, but selling to GC has decreased. Presumably some people don't want to venture out and bring used equipment to the store. I thought, however, this would be offset to some extent by people selling stuff out of necessity. GC stores appear to still be open, with limited hours.

Mike Whitfield and bassballs27 like this.
  2. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Stores impacted by local mandated shutdowns no longer list used inventory online.

3. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    What? Musical gear isn't an essential business????? That hurts.....:roflmao:

4. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Yeah i think that’s probably what is happening. I’ve noticed a pretty massive drop off in the past few days as well.

5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    There was a cabinet I was interested in located in a state that had a shutdown. I wonder if that is what happened.

jamro217 likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If we have enough fuel to make the round trip, we can venture out on a supply run... if there's room, we'll pick up your cabinet... but food and medicine are still a priority, as we lost the gerbil who ran the generator... little guy gave his all, 24/7/3.

7. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I'm sure it's still available. It makes perfect sense to discontinue online sales because no one is there to fulfill them.

8. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I stopped at the local GC store yesterday, before it shut down. They had plenty of used gear, and it was listed on-line.

Today, the web site for that same store shows no used gear.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  9. nFinnyD

nFinnyD

Oct 31, 2017
    Utah
    Also a lot of used gear is traded in for new gear to get extra % off which can be worth more than the item you traded in!

On a different note, the Musical Instruments section of FB Marketplace in my area has not been working for a few days.

10. My store doesn't even register as existing on the used gear site, so I'm sure it's the shutdown.

11. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    I should have thought of that. All the stores in or near Atlanta are open, so their inventory shows up I guess. As a side note I'm not sure why Georgia isn't shut down, as we have a ton of cases.

12. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Both Austin stores are closed.☹️

Artman likes this.
  13. MasterG

MasterG

Dec 21, 2018
    Indiana shut down...is Sweetwater. I need strings.

14. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Per a notice on the Sweetwater website, they are still shipping although it may take a little longer for it to get out the door.

- John

73_Blazer and Aqualung60 like this.
  15. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I got stuck in the middle of this last week, having had a bass shipped to my local store - as I always do - which closed on the very day that the bass was supposed to be delivered due to government order. Everything got resolved in a matter of a couple of days, with the bass making it back into the originating store and my $$$ back on the card.

Personally, I have probably about two dozen items bookmarked that have since disappeared, but I fully expect them to pop back up once the life goes back to normal and the stores re-open.

Mike Whitfield, tindrum and filler83 like this.
  16. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    My local store still shows. But they list 3 (new) items available for the whole store, when its normally around 5,000.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I really like my local GC. Hopefully this isn't the end for the company.

18. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    Me too. I've gotten some great deals at GC. The 45 day return policy can't be beat.

Bassdirty, tindrum, Marko 1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Me three! My local store (Wilmington, DE) has always treated me right and their guitar techs are great guys. :thumbsup:

20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member