1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GC used inventory down substantially?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the federalist, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Here in Nashville, all save 'essential' businesses are under a city-government mandated closure until Monday 2 April. This includes the three GC outposts, Corner Music, Gruhn's, Carter Vintage, Rumble Seat, everybody. How much of their individual web functions are up I don't know, but they're all closed down.

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    They've been contacting good customers with 25% off offers, which I presume includes used. Maybe some things sold that way, and likely listings have gone down since stores aren't open and nobody's bringing stuff in.

3. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Who the shag would buy used in this situation...

What if the guy had Covid19 and his bass is covered by the virus...

even new... many people play those instrument with their greasy hand full of covid19... yeah no

4. I would wager the stores that have used gear probably shut their online stores down while they are away. That and also the stores who are open probably are seeing no incoming stuff

filler83 likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hard to ship stuff if the store it’s in is on shut down. So rather than take an order and not be be able to ship it, it makes sense to shut down inline access as well. Saves a whole lot of complaints and back & forth phone calls.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  6. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    A few days without it being touched should be enough. If it's mail order--let it sit an extra day on your porch before you bring it in, if you want to be sure. Study suggests new coronavirus may remain on surfaces for days

If you're buying in person--hang on, can't it wait? We're supposed to be staying home for now.

Mike Whitfield and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Realmongo

Realmongo

Jan 13, 2020
    Western Mass
    I'm really surprise they don't keep the doors locked but have someone come in to support mail order on inventory.

8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Really, you’re shocked? Where they are shut down, there is a mandatory shut down of ALL non-essential businesses. Why on earth would you be surprised?

tindrum likes this.
  9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Is there a window for returns? What if you let it sit unopened for a week and when you finally do open it it's in pieces? Are you stuck with it then?

Spidey2112 and twinfallsbass like this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This part of the N.I.H. article seems to be the crucial bit;

SARS-CoV-2 remained active on plastic and stainless steel surfaces for two to three days under the conditions in this experiment. It remained infectious for up to 24 hours on cardboard and four hours on copper. The virus was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours. These times will vary under real-world conditions, depending on factors including temperature, humidity, ventilation, and the amount of virus deposited.

Based upon these findings, if I had a package show up on my doorstep, spraying down the outside with some Lysol, then letting it sit for a day should be more than enough. As for the contents, I wouldn't want to spray gear down with Lysol, so a thorough rubdown with a disinfecting wipe while wearing examination gloves (both of which I have handy), then a good amount of time sitting untouched would be in order.

the federalist and Marko 1 like this.
  11. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    this may or may not be relevant, but one of my daughters manages for GameStop, and they've completely quit taking in used gear and trade-ins due to contamination risks. I'm sure other retailers who deal with used gear are doing the same.

bigtone23 and tindrum like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Only if assembly is required...*

* Hope you are well, mi amigo!

jamro217 likes this.
  13. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Oui. Et vous, mon ami?

14. Ohhhhhhhhh! I was wondering what was going on. I have been waiting for sales to be dirt cheap because of all of this but haven’t found any good deals yet. Every new craigslist post I see people are selling stuff that’s used for new prices.

Bassdirty likes this.
  15. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Or you could just take everything in, wipe it with disinfectant and wash your hands.

Bassdirty likes this.
  16. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    I've gone into my local GC here in SF Bay area once in two or three years - emergency string purchase. I play a lot, but even so, before that it was for a few picks now and then. Who needs GC?

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

By my standards, and in my situation, that's not quite good enough. :rollno:

My training has taught me to be mindful of "cross-contamination" and "secondary contact" under normal, baseline circumstances…doubly-so when there's the possibility of pernicious pathogens on the prowl. (+4 alliteration points, yo! :bookworm: :smug:) It happens all the time, but under normal circumstances it's not a big deal. Our immune systems cope.

Under the current sitch, though, extraordinary measures are necessary, which means I have to work that training to it's fullest extent. A virus won't give me a pass for coulda-shoulda-woulda half-steps, nor will it show any mercy for the members of my family…specifically, the ones who are at greater risk than I…when I didn't exercise all methods of prevention at my disposal.

Home-grade disinfectants are good, hand washing is better, but an extra ounce of prevention may determine how many family members I get to celebrate the holidays with. If I don't use my training to it's fullest extent, then I may as well not have it at all.

Doom & gloom aside, all I was originally suggesting is to disinfect a package, let it sit for a day or so, then disinfect the contents and then wait another day, all while maintaining good hygiene.

tindrum likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Mike Whitfield and Tommy V like this.
  19. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Even if the bass was "to die for" ? :D

Mike Whitfield and Bassdirty like this.
  20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Ya I hear ya. At least you realize it's overkill and aren't just relying on a mask or glove to protect you. My point is that as long as you kill the virus on the surface and wash any contaminants off your hands you will be fine. Gloves and masks are starting to become more of a problem than a solution. I'm getting a bit annoyed seeing all of the used gloves and masks in parking lots just thrown on the ground after people get in their cars after shopping.