Geddy Barn Find....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ha, yeah it is. I actually put it there as it needed a thin shim to setup properly. Good eye!

Bleecker, digmeout and tindrum like this.
  2. Quadzilla

Previous owner sanded the entire back of the neck (including the CIJ or MIJ and serial). I don't think it was stolen because of the whole neck being sanded (hoping not anyway).

Bleecker likes this.
  3. Quadzilla

Hell no, leaving her as is. The most I may do is try to get some of the sticker residue off of the back (only a couple of small spots feel a little sticky). Aside from that, the mojo will stay! ;-)

4. Quadzilla

LOL, I wish. I got it for cheap, however, not nearly that cheap.

seedokebass and john m like this.
  5. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    The only thing that bugs me is the fingerboard finish bubbles.

Yellow Bang66 and seedokebass like this.
  6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You're clearly not going to tell us how much or else you already would have. My over under for that would probably have been $450. I might have been able to talk myself out of it above that price but not at or below.

It's very cool, the mojo is not a problem at all as long as it holds tune and the neck works like it should. Congrats.

Artman and lowdownthump like this.
  7. Queue

Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    How does that even happen???

Black Out Jazz and Yellow Bang66 like this.
  8. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    I love it when I get to live vicariously through others. Cuz this sure never happens to me.

Nice find:bassist:

9. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Yeah, me too. 1 of the reasons I dont like Maple fretboards. I know they wear the finish off, & leave that dirty board look, but I didnt know they blister! I wonder if its wise to just sand the finish off, not a deal breaker but It would make me seriously reconsider buying. Nice find regardless! GL!!

10. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Great score, she's beautiful @Quadzilla !

This happened likely because of the different expansion/contraction rates for the wood and the black plastic/epoxy/whatever inlays.

Those areas are also really easy to touch up with some super glue if one were concerned about them spreading.

11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    WOW what a deal/steal!
    Hey if you dont want it you can give it me...lol

Congrats!

Bleecker likes this.
  12. I'm sure Geddy would be proud to see one of his signature basses get that much use.

Bleecker likes this.
  13. digmeout

digmeout Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    Beautiful, well loved and well played.

Bleecker likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Until I saw the neck stamp, I thought maybe you had one of Justin Meldal-Johnsen's Geddys that he bought for a Nine Inch Nails tour in 2008. Yes, whoever bought that wasn't concerned too much about beating it up. But that's OK as long as it works. Nice score!

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    That there is a thing of beauty to me. Old, worn, but still fully capable of it's intended mission; that's exactly the way a bass from that time period should look! Not totally trashed, but there wasn't any holding back, either. It will live on. I'm starting to admire that kind of thing more and more as the years go by! And only a C note??? Geez...

16. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I had one just like that, model J's and all. Nice basses with an uber thin fast neck.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Made to be played. Maybe take care of the nut but it looks ready to go.

Quadzilla likes this.
  18. that's how i got my cirrus...

19. Quadzilla

I wish! :)

20. Quadzilla

You are right in the zone of what I paid for it. Given that's in poor cosmetic condition (but "A" level playing condition), I think it was a fair deal. It literally plays as good as some of my basses that cost thousands...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021