Geddy Lee????? I don't get it.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2behead, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Oops... please tell me I haven't ignited a "Rush vs. Beatles" thing... :meh:

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Maybe the OP is a woman? Women typically don't like Rush.

3. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    One of my personal favorites is Counterparts.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, Geddy really makes that Jazz bass talk on that album. So many great grooves and tones.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I find the statements made in the OP quite strange considering the music Rush makes is still miles above the crap you usually find on Top 40, in my opinion the real McDonalds of music, placing Rush in that same category just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me.

If Rush is the McDonalds of music, what is Justin Bieber then, the equivalent to the discarded food homeless people fish up from trash cans?

I mean I don't like Rush, and specifically I can't stand Geddy's singing voice, but in my book it's pretty far from fast food music.

As far as I am concerned Rush is quality music, maybe not exactly gourmet, but definitely still pretty solid music, that just doesn't happen to fit my personal taste.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  6. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    See i think rush is pretty good. Tom sawyer for example is just classic bass. Wooten i respect technically… but the music does nothing for me. I will go as far as to say i think his music sounds synth cheesy. Great musician, bad music.

Right now i am listening to a lot of adam getgood.

different strokes for different folks. It is ok to have different taste in music.

2behead and FRoss6788 like this.
  7. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    I must admit, justin beiber has some pretty good songs. Like the beatles, i just cant fault some of them.

have a listen to this and tell me it is not good music! Does not need to be your type of music… but the tune as a whole is amazing imho.

and here is periphery and adam getgood.

Greatness comes in many forms.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am just always surprised when a bass player doesn't like Rush. Rush is the epitome of a Bass players band.

As for the Justin Bieber, He has a boatload of talent whether people want to admit it or not.

The top 40 has always been mostly commercially driven with much better music being harder to seek out. Lot's of garbage in the top 40 IMO.
    Rush was not top 40. Especially early on and prior to Tom Sawyer.... That was just more of an appeal to me.

Being a bass playing teenager jamming to 2112 is one of my fondest memories. But we like what we like I guess....I still don't get a bassist not digging Rush.......

Qlanq, superdick2112 and FRoss6788 like this.
  9. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Overall i am not a massive rush fan. I respect their music, and they have a few undeniable classics in my mind. but rush was not quite my thing.

10. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I don't care.

11. Geddy IS one hell of a bass player, whether you like or appreciate RUSH

12. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    For decades I just did not get Rush, though I realized how good a drummer Peart was. I never liked Geddy's voice, and I think that had a lot to do with it.
    I went so far as to see them once and left after the 3rd song. I just didn't get it, or maybe the time was just not right. The volume and that voice tore into me.
    Fast forward a few decades: I like them now! I appreciate Geddy's bass work and more of the band in general. I have not run out to buy their music, but when I hear it now, I have a new appreciation for it. I sort of 'came around' to it over time..... and it took long time.

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Zombie thread alert. Time warp 9 years

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021