1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. basgitarista43

basgitarista43

Dec 2, 2009
    Geddy Lee is BEST

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I like Geddy. I don't much like Rush, but anyone who can play bass, keys and sing all at the same time is darned impressive.

However, if you say "Geddy's the best!", then YES - he is overrated - by anyone who would say that he's "the best". I suspect Mr. Lee would agree.

3. After reading magazines with interviews with Geddy I came to realize he's just a humble normal typical Canadian guy like me...he worked hard and helped write original tunes and you should do the same. I only post and play my original tunes...www.myspace.com/fantoalysteria www.youtube.com/martyman5000

4. I've heard Geddy and Alex joking on CBC radio and they're pretty down to earth. They've know each other since the 7th. grade.

5. I don't think there is such a thing as "best". That being said, I think Geddy is way up there in the "most influential" category for a lot of bassists. That's got to count for something.

6. Exophysical

Exophysical

Nov 19, 2009
    Watch him play the bass line to the verse in "Big Money" while singing and come back and tell me he's over rated. Big what? yeah thats what I though, youve probably heard Tom Sawyer a couple times on the radio and think you know what Rush is all about. As for the best? Call anyone the best and you've just made them overrated. I enjoy the Who more than I enjoy Rush but saying that any of them were more tallented than their rush counter part would be an exageration with the possible exception of keith moon vs Neil Pert, not that I'd agree with that either but it would be a more feasable argument than than what the OP is proposing.

7. I love GL's toothy tone, and the fact that he can sing, play and arrange all those instruments. I love that Rush use the Moog, and tonnes of effects and the drummer has a million drums; I love the fact they were the first concert I ever saw, and they were the only band that mattered...when I was 13.

Unfortuantely I've come to realize that Rush, and prog in general, is a goofy, self-absorbed genre that couldn't genuinely rock-out for more than four bars with a gun to its collective head. There is no groove, there is no soul, and nobody's dancing; and it can be scientifically proven that at no time has a Rush record ever been purchased by a female of the species.

So, if none of that matters to you, then by all means, keep trying to be Rush.

8. I'm female and I own all of the Rush albums. I can also play bass and sing at the same time as well as chew gum and pat my stomach. So there goes your statistic. :D

9. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Well... perhaps it's possible that somebody gave them to you as a gift? That way the "scientifically proven" fact would still be true (ie: perhaps you didn't buy them).

JK obviously.

Didn't this thread die a few weeks ago?

10. Padding the evidence? Is this CSI? :D
    Old threads never die, they just keep getting resurrected as zombies. :)

11. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    You're quite the anomaly for a rush sausage fest, I mean concert. Ever been to the Rush Forum on the triple w?
    ( www.therushforum.com )

There are several ladies brave enough to put up with all the standard Rush fans....

Is that why I have a hankering for a Brain Salad Sandwich?

12. You are my hero! Can you come have a talk with my wife? Every time Rush comes on the radio she turns the station. She can't stand them. I have only every personally known one female who liked Rush and that was back in college. Every Rush concert I have been to has either been with guy friends or by my self because my wife would never go with me!

13. I'm not sure what I would say to your wife. Some women just can't appreciate good music when they hear it? :D Actually that applies to a lot of people in general, not just women.

I think some women are turned off by loud, fast, aggressive music - period. Not sure why that is though. That's what attracted me to them in the first place. That and the musicianship...and dare I say it? The sci-fi/fantasy aspect of some of their songs. I guess I'm just not a typical woman, and I just have to say "yay" to that, because otherwise I would have missed out on a LOT of great music.

If being a woman meant having to listen to Celine Dion, Hanna Montana and Jonas Brothers, you might as well just shoot me now.

14. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

Exactly what I thought when I saw it was back up. :meh:

15. FenderGibson

FenderGibson

Feb 6, 2009
    Pfft
    Much better bassist then Geddy, like Mike Drnt
    Mike Drnt is a million times better then Geddy Lee