Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Nov 23, 2002.

1. I'm starting to become a big Rush fan. After hearing Geddy sing and play, I'm convinced that his success is no fluke. I know that Les Claypool gets together with Geddy once in awhile to practice. You hear a lot of Geddy's licks in Primus songs too. The man's got a pretty good voice too. 2112 Forever! :cool: "Geddy":cool:
  2. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Geddy is the reason that I play bass. I've been a Rush fan since 1977(yes I'm old). The first time I heard 2112, I knew I had to play bass! Twenty five years later I'm still going strong. I just went and saw them in September, and it was an unreal show. Three hours long, and man did they rock. Have you heard the new CD(I almost said album)? Its pretty incredible.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Big Geddy fan o'er here!:D

Actually, I think you'll find TB is chock-full-o'-Geddy fans.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thank you for saying that!!! I agree 100%. The fact of if you like Geddy's tone or not is irrelevant, the fact is, he is a techincally amazing vocalist.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    leaded by almighty JT :D
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    On bass, great. On vocals, yuck.
  7. he was one of the first major influences for me, along with Chris Squire and John Entwistle.
  8. Molotov

Feb 5, 2002
    That's why they call me the working man!!

Geddy Rocks!!! One of my main influences.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's the Little Jimmy Scott of progrock.

Good bassist, but you'd think his voice would have dropped by now.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep. :D i lead the geddy army - charge!!!
  11. Geddy Lee was the player that got me interested in the bass initially, so he was a great inspiration and influence. Interestingly enough, I play nothing like him today.
  12. I, uh, hear he's all right.

Actually, I keep meaning to check out some of Rush's music, because I haven't heard a lot of his playing.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Totally. His voice makes my testicles shrink.
  14. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Oh c'mon, the man's got a totally unique voice with a ****load of range and can still sing as well at 49 as he did at say 30 while cranking out some technically difficult rock basslines, playing keyboards AND triggering samples.
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Don't blame Geddy for that problem!!!;) :p :D

Geddy is my God. I worship @ the Temples of Syrinx.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, I think he's a great player and bandleader. I just can't get past the voice or the lyrics, no matter how hard I've tried. Wish I could like it, but it just gets under my skin.
  17. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When I switched from guitar to bass, I was HUGELY into Rush. Geddy was my first major bass influence. I learned most of the Rush catalog when I sold all my guitar gear and starting playing the low-sounding instrument. Geddy is the man, and I rather enjoy his singing. At least the poor bastard doesn't have a speaking voice up in the stratosphere, like Jon Anderson of Yes... whose singing voice I also rather enjoy.
  18. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm a HUGE Rush and Geddy fan. He is definitely the man who made me want to pick up bass in the first place. He remains a constant influence and inspiration.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If they had a different singer, I would love Rush. :)
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What am I supposed to think of him? I have thought of him. That's about it.

The band he's in is not bad, though.