Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    I did apologize after I realized he was English. The only reason I used the word "idiot" is because he made a comparison of using proper grammar to write english toward this music reading debate going on, and at the time I thought he misspelled the word "realize". So to make a statement like that, and you can't spell properly, you would be an idiot!

2. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    To all who want to debate this issue, I'm going to start a new thread and leave this for the Gene Simmons-anti Gene Simmons crowd and lets see what others who probably never read this thread will say.

3. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    The new thread is listed in the Technique catagory, come one, come all!

4. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    Well if you can't read 14 pages of threads,or find the shortcut to get to a specific one that I posted you probably can't read musi...scratch that....that's hostile...By the way...the answer is Yessss!!!:D

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    This thread is still around?

Phew, TB needs some new topics.

6. pez123

pez123

Oct 30, 2008
    United States P.A.
    Hes good if your talking about him promoting and his stage presence as a bass player/musician hes not the best

7. steele

steele

Jan 11, 2008
    That's ridiculous, Peter Kriss has a great voice and is one of the great pure and true rock n roll drummers of all time, that' whats annoying when people don't realize you don't have to be a drummer that's crazy good, simple is sometimes amazing, that's why Steven Adler was such a great drummer, everything aside and the way hes been portrayed recently, he was still a great great drummer. And its people with that "I'm only into the show mentality" are the ones that will keep Kiss' music of the 70's from ever truly getting the respect it deserves. At that times in history Kiss was nothing more than a rock n' roll band, and they were a true band at the time, not what they became. They, if you realize it, have an era of their music that could be some of the greatest straight up rock n' roll ever made!

And yes, Nikki Sixx is a joke!

8. Funny, I've often compared Peter Criss and Steven Adler: both had a rock n roll bounce that was sadly lost in both KISS & GnR when they were replaced with more plodding rock/metal drummers

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +10000000000000000000000000000

10. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Hate the guy all you want

I just sat down with my 11 year old and watched Kiss Alive 35

Gene didn't miss a note, and did it all while singing, walking around in 7 inch heels, breathing fire, and spitting blood...

sure the music is basic and simple, but it is fun.....and I have a blast playing Dr. Love, and Rock-N-Roll all Nite in my bar cover band

is he Jaco, Claypool, Steve Harris, or Geddy Lee....NO

does he need or have to be in Kiss....NO

11. His playing style is very limited. He couldn't do an honest bass solo to save his life.

12. lol
    I'm onboard

13. So? bass players in rock bands don't get payed to solo.

14. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    The bass solo is highly over-rated, in my very humble opinion.

15. Very true, but he's still a hack player.

16. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    No he isn't.

Something tells me this thread will go on for at least 15 more pages...

17. D.E.C.

D.E.C.

Mar 20, 2006
    I agree with Mobax...I don't quite get the whole "bass solo" thing. A ability to solo does not define a bassist. The bass isn't a "look at me" instrument. I've seen guys who can shred up and down the neck like they are an EVH and Satriani lovechild, but put them in a band, and they can't find their way. The ability to dial in with a drummer and forge a formidable rhythm section is much more impressive to me.

18. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    If it weren't for Gene Simmons I probably wouldn't have become a bass player. But I am, and for that, I am eternally grateful. :bassist:

19. Stingray19

Stingray19

Oct 23, 2009
    So, by your definition, because he doesn't slap, pop, and whack on his fretboard over abnormal time signatures, he's a bad bassist??

:eyebrow:

Then I guess Macca was a hack bass player as well, along with plenty others, because as I see it, Gene isnt the only one who plays with the style that he does.

I mean, I'm not defending the guy's attitude, but I think he's a VERY solid bass player.

By the way, the "solos" he does that he also gets ostricized for are not really meant to be "solos". I'm pretty sure they're intended to be a theatrical display of anger, and sound effects for when he spits blood.

I highly suggest watching this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bePXq1Rbgs

And also, I think the way KISS should be interpreted is simple, and able to be summarized in about four words:

Rock and Roll Theatre.

This thread seriously needs to end.:rolleyes:

20. larrison

larrison Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Texas
    Check out the old MTV uplugged dvd. That particular video proves that Kiss and Gene Simmons were/are good adequate musicians...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021