Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I was a Kiss Army fanclub member when I was a kid - I even risked a beating from my older brother by clipping out the membership form from his album sleeve to join. :) While doodling in my first HS band, my guitarist stops me and says, "you can't play that....that's Gene Simmons!", (bass line from Detroit Rock City.)
    Thanks, Gene.

2. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    OK. WHERE does or did it say that Paul Stanley played bass on those early records??
    I don't think that is accurate.

Ace being subbed out on a few songs?? Yes I can believe that and Peter as well, but I find it hard to believe that it's not Gene on bass on all of their albums. I need 100% documented proof of that. Until I know FOR SURE, I call horsepucky on that claim.

3. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    So, after reading some of this thread earlier, I went and CRANKED UP the "Klassics" disc that was included with Sonic Boom. I think that version of Detroit Rock City is better on there than the one on Destroyer. Deuce and Hotter Than Hell on there are incredible too. Paul Stanley's vocals on Detroit Rock City from that are absolutly stellar.

4. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

5. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I love that disc! I love the new album too - it just must be my AGE!

6. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    His voice is very underrated for rock

7. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Thanks for posting that. While it says things like Gene played guitar on some tracks for example, it dosen't say that he didn't play the bass parts as well etc.

It says Bob Ezrin was the news reader for Detroit Rock City.
    That sure sounds A LOT like Gene Simmons voice.

8. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Havent heard the new one yet but will probably pick it up soon. And regarding age...we are of that age when KISS was the "Hottest Band In The Land." I was 9 when Alive! was released and saw them for the first time on 1/15/78 at the old Chicago Stadium on the Love Gun tour. That was my first concert ever.

9. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I do know Bob Kulick played on Destroyer when Ace was "lost" for a day or two at a poker game. I think it was Sweet Pain. Paul played lead on some of the Unmasked stuff. I had never heard the Paul on bass thing before, though.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Dick Wagner recorded the guitar solo for "Sweet Pain". Bob Kulick recorded lead guitar for three of the studio tracks released on side four of "Alive II" ("All American Man", "Rockin' In The U.S.A." and "Larger Than Life"). Paul Stanley recorded bass on "Love Gun", "Magic Touch", "Tomorrow", "Easy As It Seems", "I'm A Legend Tonight", "Down On Your Knees", "Partners In Crime", "Heaven's On Fire", "I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)", "Tears Are Falling", "We Are One", "I Finally Found My Way" and the chorus section of "I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock And Roll".

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    EricSimmons.jpg

12. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Sep 30, 2012
    west Texas
    A very polarizing subject on this website for sure. What i can say is i don't think there is a harder working guy ( watch rock the nation on the gene setting-the dude don't stop ), and after having yrs of 5+ sets learned ( everything from 70's hard rock, 80's nwobhm, hair bands, 90'hard rock/grunge alternative, etc,) some of those early kiss songs are not that easy to find the pocket on in a band setting overall. I like kiss. I like gene. Do i get sick of some of the promotion? Absolutely. Do i think they are one of the most important American rocks bands of all time? Absolutely 100 f**king %!!!!! At the end of the day it is what it is. I feel i am blessed to have grown up in America at a time when this was possible cause those times are well on their way out. So lets rock n roll all night and party everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Wait, so the bass player is better at playing bass than the drummer is at singing? I'm impressed....

14. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Gene has no doubt accomplished what he wanted to and then some. As already mentioned, mind blowing musicianship is not what Kiss is about. It's the songs and the show. Gene decided basic classic rock tunes that would endure, lots of fun and ladies, and truckloads of cash were more important than being a monster unknown bedroom bassist playing an 11 string. I mean Steve Morse has much more technical ability than Eddie Van Halen ever dreamt of, but Eddie is a household name to everyone under age 50, and I know many guitarists who haven't even heard of Steve Morse.

15. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Anyone who misses as many notes as he does live is not a "good" bass player.

16. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    Gene Simmons is like Ringo Star he did what was needed for the song and sometimes more.

Great bass lines in Detroit Rock City and many others.

If you think he sucks it's because your listening with your eyes instead of your ears!

His solo album had some interesting material on it.

Ace didn't play bass in Kiss material.

Simmons is also a marketing gunius!!!

He makes more money sitting on the toilet then most of us do all year, so there!

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Gene is a very good bass player. Very underrated. I'd like to see some other players put on the show that he does and be able to play at the same time.

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    He has a bad show now and then but so does everybody. Paul Stanley is by far the worst musician in the band. I saw him trying to do the intro to "I Want You" and he got so lost that he stopped. Then he tried to fake his way through intro to "Stairway to Heaven" and a few other songs. He played all of them incorrectly. This went on for several minutes before he finally figured out what to play. I have seen him make so many mistakes that I stopped going to see KISS a few years ago.

19. Nino D

Nino D

Oct 31, 2012
    Albany,NY
    I think Gene Is a great bassist. Kiss has so many memorable songs that have stood the test of time. One of the best rock bands in my opinion. But I should stop there before the Gene Simmons bass solo video shows up.:bassist:

20. I agree. I never had a negative view of Simmons. He's made a fortune on merchandising and playing exactly what was needed for a song, not embellishing with unobtainable technique.

With that in mind, his "solo" was never about technical ability. It was sort of a theatrical performance to enhance his "Demon" character/persona, with the blood capsules dripping from his mouth. Many bass greats today never would have picked up the bass if Gene hadn't made an impression on them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021