Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    People who want to measure Gene Simmons' musicianship are missing the point big time. He provides musical entertainment, where the balance is tipped towards entertainment : just as Hulk Hogan is part of 'sports-entertainment'. Hogan is by no means a top athlete or a proper sportsman, its entertainment. Sitting down and watching Bill Evans is musical entertainment too, but it sure is a lot less showmanship.

2. ooktar

ooktar

Jan 18, 2013
    Its funny, I was sort of thinking about this the other day, and as much of a KISS fan I am (I bought Destroyer and Dynasty when I was 13 and have pretty much collected all their other albums over the years), I honestly can not picture Gene Simmons as the kind of guy that makes time to just sit and actually practice playing or writing music. The most practice he probably gets is when he's rehearsing or writing with the rest of the band. I just can't imagine him as the kind of guy that sits and just plays and try's to come up with stuff at home when he's not doing the regular "Gene Simmons" stuff.

That said, I don't think he's a bad player. His bass lines really help to define the rhythm in a lot of KISS songs. I don't think he deserves as much bad rep as he gets. I could think of other bass players that deserve it a lot more.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The thing with Gene is that his persona is polarizing. If you like his persona, or can get past it to the real man, then you're willing to listen and give him the benefit of the doubt - and you'll think he's a fairly good bass player. If you don't like the persona, or don't like the band, then you'll denigrate him because he made a ton of money and you think you're "better" than he is, but you're not, and it ticks you off, so you knock him. The fact of the matter is, he's better than you are, and I can prove it: he's a multimillionaire due largely to his bass playing, and you're wanking away in your basement.

neckdive likes this.
  4. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    I agree,practice and technique can disconnect you from the feel of the music,in this case rock and roll.Rock is raw and passionate.With that said I don't see anything wrong with his playing. I'm not even a kiss fan.

5. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    I think there are bassists in rock that arent as good as Gene Simmons, no question about it.

6. spacebassed

spacebassed

Jan 31, 2009

Like this?

:bag:

(I realize I'm quoting a 4 year old post, but I just couldn't help myself.) :p

7. spacebassed

spacebassed

Jan 31, 2009
    Adam Carolla discusses "Lick it Up" (and other creepy songs):

(contains graphic language - just a warning for the easily offended)

8. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    Neither Gene or McCartney are technical wizards on bass by their own admission, but both inspired me to play bass. Because I love what they both did and still do. (Although I like Genes 70's tone much better.) Because, like them or not they both play what is right for a particular song...not to be technically amazing. All the examples in the post I'm quoting are proof of that. When I look at a bass player, I don't look at whether someone is technically amazing or not but are they playing what fits the song. Because in the end it is the song most people remember not the great bass solo in the middle. A simple melodic bass line can be just as effective as a highly complicated jazz inspired one. An infinite number of rock classics prove that. In terms of that Gene is quite good and McCartney is a master, and that's the style that I prefer to play and enjoy listening to. Just my 2 cents.

Anthony D Gattuso Jr likes this.
  9. 123Nil

123Nil

Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Found this topic..Sorry have to comment!! It was Nikki Sixx & a little of Gene Simmons..That made me, want to play bass... The opening comment..Nikki playing boreing bass lines???? He is doing his job!!! Laying down very catchy bass lines.. ( Dr FeelGood) being my favorite.. And Gene..I love the "Demon" don't care much for the man.. But another guy that plays very catchy bass lines..IMO ..Gene suck at bass???? I don't think so.. Love him on bass

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I had a little respect for Nikki, until I saw one of his "solos". It was pretty horrific.

11. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I like both Motley Crue and Kiss, but most of the time Nikki Sixx is playing the same thing as the guitar, basically note for note, "Dr. Feelgood" included. Sometimes he's playing a pedal note to the guitar riff, which is fine by me if it fits the song.

Gene Simmons, on the other hand, is often playing contrapuntal riffs and melodic and walking bass lines, just like... Paul McCartney! Not saying he's of the same musical caliber as him, just that his bass playing style is similar.

I just don't get all the bashing. Must come from jazz snobs.

12. Killed_by_Death

It's probably coming from the same people that lump on hating Nickelback.

13. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    I had a little respect for [TB member], until I heard one of his "audio clips". It was pretty horrific.

14. Killed_by_Death

Was this TB member getting paid for his work?

That's a very low blow, even for you!

Anthony D Gattuso Jr likes this.
  15. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah, Kiss (at least the first crop of albums) is why I got into heavy metal as a kid. Gene is a big part what makes Kiss, Kiss (that looks funny written out).

It was a quick jump to Black Sabbath from there.

Atshen likes this.
  16. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    These were your words, just reflected back at you in order to prove a point.

All of these posts from TB members discussing how [insert famous bassist and likely non-TB members] sucks really should stop. They are successful bassists for a reason.

Scatabrain likes this.
  17. Killed_by_Death

I guess you haven't seen the "performance" I am referring to then:

Furthermore, Nikki is a successful bassist for a few good reasons. He was in the right place at the right time are at the top of the heap. He's also very lucky, having survived so many overdoses.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Motley Crue, and only sometimes change the station when "Dr. Feelgood" comes on, but what the fans consider a good bass solo is appalling sometimes.

Which brings me back to the subject of the OP. Gene can play, and I would rate him a better player than Nikki, but his solos are just stage fodder.

I don't think even KISS considered themselves Heavy Metal until after they took their makeup off.

True Heavy Metal!

Atshen likes this.
  18. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Yes I jumped to Heavy Metal from Kiss.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021