1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lfmn16, Mar 18, 2013.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 which is about a year and a half old which is having issues. I shut it off a couple of days ago and it was working fine. I started it up last night and the sound is very fuzzy and the master volume barely works at all. I am plugging into a Genz Benz 2X10 8 ohm cabinet and an old Music Man 4X12 8 ohm cabinet for home practice. I play a couple of times a month and use the same setup except instead of the music man cabinet I use a 4X10, 8 ohm Carvin cabinet.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

2. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    Your best bet is to PM agedhorse here and visit with him-GB is among the best in customer service.I bet he can help you.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, and you might also look into the topic of mixing spkrs. I can't imagine the 2x10 would be very happy being run with either of those other rather large cabs.

4. Do you use a battery in your bass or any pedals in your signal chain? If yes... check that. Just a thought.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The salesman told me if used the correct ohms and watts that it didn't matter what cabinets I used. Are you saying that mixing a 2X10 cabinet with a 4X10 or 4X12 cabinet could hurt the head even if I have the proper ohms and watts?

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Try a patch cord between your FX loop jacks - it's not uncommon for the contacts in those jacks on any amp to act up...

- georgestrings

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. It's a good suggestion, but I swapped out cabinets, cables (instrument and speaker) and basses and all of my basses are passive.

In my impatience I called Genz Benz. The tech suggested swapping out my preamp tube and if that doesn't work they'll hook me up with a service center.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Also something to look at...

- georgestrings

9. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Using a 210 with a 410 or a 412 is totally fine unless you exceed your amps ohm rating, at which point it wouldn't matter what configuration you were running.

As others have suggested, check cables & batteries. Are you running a battery operated pedals? Tuner?

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    a 2x10 and a 4x12 cab for homer practice???

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. I didn't think that was right and just wanted to clarify. I have been very careful about using the cabinet with the correct ohms - individually and combined.

Also, I ran directly from bass to amp, swapped cables, basses and cabinets, so it is the head.

I actually practice very quietly. I use the 4X12 mostly to sit the 2X10 up high and as long as it's sitting there I plug it in.

12. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    What up my friend-how was the trip??

13. May I also echo the idea of sending a PM to agedhorse! He has been invaluable to many members here walking them through common trouble shooting which could be as simple as a poor connection of a ribbon cable. He will be a lot more helpful than the service call center.

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey Brian...the trip was great for the most part...I'mm ping you on facebook and we can hook up soon. I owe you lunch for letting me borrow the Bass Safe!

15. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Any time brotha- you do t owe me a thing.Lunch hang sometime sounds good though!!

16. While it may not harm the amp, there are other problems.

First, running a 2X10 and a 4X10 together where each cab is the same impedance feeds 2X the amount of power to the speakers in the 2X10 then to the speakers in the 4X10, putting the 2X10 at risk of blowing while the speakers in the 4X10 are just cruising along.

Secondly, mixing a 4X12 with the 2X10 presents not only the same mismatch of power distribution, but also introduces the problems of mixing different speaker sizes in full range.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Don't the number of watts the cabinets are rated to handle come into this? The carvin 4x10 cabinet is rated at 300 watts and the genz Benz 2x10 is rated at 350 watts.

What are the problems of mixing different speaker sizes in full range? I'm not even sure what that means.

18. Nope.............

When using two cabs of the same impedance, your amp splits the power evenly between the 2 cabs.

That means your 2X10 and your 4X10/4X12 are getting sent the SAME AMOUNT of power. From there, it is simple math - 2 speakers in one cab, 4 in the other.

I suggest you do some reading about mix driver sizes. Not all speaker produce the same frequency response. When combined together, they can produce additive and destructive peaks to your sound. Meaning, some places in the room you are playing will have dead spots from the frequencies cancelling each other out, and some places that are boomy because they added together.

19. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    your speaker selection has nothing to do with your issue at hand.

1. make sure you have a problem with the amp
    a) double check all control and knob settings, remove all pedals so its bass>cable>amp>speaker
    b) disconnect one speaker does it work?
    c) if no, disconnect and connect other speaker, does it work now?
    d) if no its not the speaker. so..
    e) try a different cable, then
    f) try a different bass
    g) try playing an ipod into aux in
    h) try the headphones socket?

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks for your input but it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the actual problem I posted.