1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I think the “common wisdom” (if there is such a thing on TB :D ) is that pedals go through the input and line level effects (rack mount units) go through the loop. Although if you wanted to bypass the Genzler pre and just use the power section, going in through the return would do so...

Loring and segina like this.
  2. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Hi Mark,

Yes, excellent point, I totally agree in supporting local independent music stores. It's a tricky balance any more between that and getting your product exposed to more customers.

Bob

3. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    @segina ---- thanks for considering our Magellan 350 head. As others have commented about your question, yes pedals usually would be much better in the front end of the MG-350. This was one reason we chose not to include this feature in this smaller amp --- along with a shortage of rear panel real estate do to its small size. Most people don't seem to use the FX loop much since pedals are so prevalent. I think you'd be very impressed how your pedals "feel" in the front end of this amp.
    Hope this is helpful.

****Sorry for the delay in responding, I was on vacation last week and off the grid so to speak....

4. segina

segina

Apr 12, 2019
    No need to apologize it hasn't even been a day! Thanks for your response, love the amp just wanted to make sure it wasn't missing something I might want later, (doesn't seem to be the case), I'm going to go ahead pick one up, thanks again can't wait to get it home.

5. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    No doubt about that. But most stages I am playing on are made of wood and tend to start swinging when our band starts jumping :hyper:. A tower like yours wouldn't survive that.

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Oh...I'm old and fat. I don't jump :thumbsup::roflmao::smug:

mwbonsall, loopee and Loring like this.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Seriously considering rejoining the Genzler fold.

I’m currently using a Fender Super Bassman 300 Pro into a pair of Fender Neo 115’s. I absolutely love the rig, but we’re playing a lot now, with no signs of it letting up. Even though my amp rides in my trailer with the PA, it’s still getting old lifting that 65lb head (which somehow turns into 100lbs at 2am) every night.

I’ve tried the BA10-2 and the BA12-3 at my local dealer, and though they sound great, I still think I prefer the more traditional MG cabs like I used to have.

I know for sure I want the MG800 head. It’s tried and true for me, I know it and love it. For cabs, I’m torn between the MG212T, which I’ve owned and was very happy with, OR, a pair of the new(er) MG12TV cabs. I really like the bit of extra height that a pair of them would bring to the table.

My biggest question (probably for @Jeff Genzler ) is, would a pair of the TV cabs have similar low end depth and clarity to the MG212T? IME, that was one of the best sounding cabs for deep, clear, never muddy lows that I’ve ever owned. I wouldn’t want to lose that if I went with a pair of the 112’s.

berman3313 and Fred312b like this.
  8. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    Me too. That makes it even worse :laugh::D

Loring and jlepre like this.
  9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    :woot::laugh::roflmao:

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't tried the MG12TV cabs yet but they look and sound (in youtube videos) pretty sweet. I have been tempted to try one instead of my BA10-2 for my 350 head for a little more depth/fullness and maybe just a touch louder. I don't have the volume needs you do (just jazz and street fairs for my amp needs) so one driver seems to be enough. Not sure if anyone here has a pair of them (someone has one but I can't remember who) so maybe you'll have to wait for Jeff to chime in.

Good luck. I was surprised when you left Genzler so it's not too surprising to see you wanting to get back in.

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had to try the toobz before I got too old to lift a tube amp. It sounds flat out amazing, but it’s so damn huge, and heavy. I’m going to Flatland tomorrow to see what kind of trade deal we can work out. They’ve been super fair with me before, so I’m hoping we can come to a deal that works for both of us.

I really like the idea of the smaller footprint of the TV cabs. Plus that little bit of extra height sure can’t hurt. Andy Irvine’s demo of the 350 into 2 of the cabs sounded great, especially for a YouTube video, so that’s a plus in their favor.

Edit: However, the MG212T is a great “one cab solution” for me, that I KNOW works perfectly for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    SteveC and Fred312b like this.
  12. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ

@Ryan L. ----- Good to hear from you and glad you're considering GENZLER again. About the comparison of 2 new MG-12T-V cabs against the MG-212T. Actually you'd have more cabinet volume with the 2 separate cabs than the one 2 x 12". BUT you do have that punch of 2 drivers in 1 cab with the MG-212T---yes an increasingly popular cab choice.
    What you do get with the MG-12T-V stack is a more vertical output (if that makes sense). They have great depth together and a strong vocal mid range ---- never muddy or muffled.
    I think it projects better as stacked one-on-top of the other ---- it gets about 40" tall.
    BUT you can stack them side-by-side and they do sound different --- more "coupled" if that makes sense. Options!!
    And you'd be amazed what you could do using just one cab when that is all the gig requires. They are almost "silly-small" when it comes to transporting.

The crew and Flatland Lutherie are great so they'll take good care of you.
    These cabs will be back in stock on Friday.

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks Jeff! Yeah, Paul and Bret are great. I’ve been dealing with them for many years (bought Genz Benz gear from Paul back in the Marguerite’s Music days), and have played in a band with Paul years ago.

I’m gonna go do some wheeling and dealing tomorrow....

Fred312b, SteveC and Loring like this.
  14. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Al this talk makes me think the tall 12 might be the sweet spot between portability and sound for my smallish jazz gigs. The BA10-2 is just a shade small so maybe the taller 12 would give me a little more fullness, a little more volume and some height. I don’t need much more than the 10 and I’d still like to keep it to 1 cab/combo with the bracket for my 350.

MAXSPINRUN likes this.
  15. jibass

jibass Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    I am loving my MG12TV. Besides the great sound (actually i prefer it to the bass array) i can confirm it is: easily portable, more full than the 110, more volume, more height. Amazing what a difference a couple inches and pounds can make. Jeff, any idea when a cover will be available?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    revroy, Ryan L. and Fred312b like this.
  16. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Would be cool to develop a "library" of people's tones. Maybe a YouTube channel with a little playing and then talking about the gear, amp settings, etc

revroy likes this.
  17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hmm. Sounds like I may need to pull the trigger. I have an outdoor "farmers market" jazz gig on September 7th that would be a great "test" for a new cab.

:cool:

pjbassist likes this.
  18. jibass

jibass Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Assuming you like the sound i think you would find the MG12TV even more versatile than the 110 since it is bigger fuller sound with barely a noticeable increase in schlep-factor. And your MG350 attaches to complete your one-piece combo.

Damn! i was so into thinking about Genzler stuff that i didn't even notice the "larger" meaning :laugh:

SteveC likes this.
  19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, Paul is running some numbers for me on what my Fender rig is worth on trade (I was actually standing next to Paul talking about it when Jeff called to let him know I’d be coming in, lol).

Hopefully the numbers work, and I can be back in the Genzler camp within a week or two.

Loring, Fred312b, pjbassist and 5 others like this.
  20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I’m sure other companies have good CS, but stories like this is one reason I have stayed with Jeff since the Genz Benz days. He called me on a Saturday morning to get a handle on an issue I was having. He PM’ed me about the new cab (I was sworn to secrecy) before it was made public. That is worth some loyalty, and the fact that he makes great sounding, looking and affordable products is icing on the cake.

imabuddha, rok51, berman3313 and 5 others like this.