1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, I agree Steve. I ran a Genz Benz rig years ago (Max 9.2 into an Uber 410), and ran my Genzler rig for 2 years, until GAS got the best of me and I had a short stint with a Berg setup (the B|Amp does NOT like North Dakota winters, but that’s another story). The Fender rig is awesome sounding, but it likes to be LOUD to really sound its best, and it’s big, heavy, and cumbersome to fit on smaller stages.

What I loved about my Genzler setup is that is sounded great, no matter the volume it needed to be at, no matter the room, indoors or out. Never muddy, never boomy. Just consistently great tone.

I’m taking one of my basses to Flatland tomorrow to spend a bit more time with the BA12-3 they have there, just to make certain I want the MG cabs over the Array cabs.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I’m have a BA cab and I’m going to try an MG...the tall 12” as I think it’ll give me the little bit more I want than my BA10-2 can do. I hade the Ba12-3 but it was a little big for me. Hoping the tall 12 will have a better footprint.

3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Whichever I get (I’m leaning heavily towards the MG cabs) will be 12’s for sure. It’ll either be a pair of the MG12T-V cabs, or the BA12-3’s (a slant and a standard).

SteveC likes this.
  4. I seriously can't wait for you to pull the trigger and hear how happy you are with your new cab! At 24 lbs it should be portable hopefully enough for you. I've gone from a 105lb 410 xlt to two BA -12's and was thrilled for the longest time but definitely starting to feel it during the load out after a long night in the basement clubs with lots of stairs to the main floor.

Has Jeff chimed in about mixing the new TV with a BA 12?

MAXSPINRUN and Loring like this.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A “tall 12” should be showing up on my doorstep by the end of next week. Going to try it on a couple gigs (outdoor jazz and indoor singer/songwriter) and see how it goes.

6. Spartacus2112

Spartacus2112 Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    My new rig showing up at store tomorrow. Unfortunately, won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday. Oh well, I'm wishing safe travels to my new Magellan 800 and 12-3 array!

Nightman, PaulS, Fred312b and 2 others like this.
  7. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Sounds like drums and flats - those stairs suck!

SadowskySteve likes this.
  8. Yep, and a couple of downtown joints. The Night Owl was another basement.

Played the Junction in Peterborough a while back when I just had my Eden 410 XLT. Looong way up to the second floor. Our practice space is in the basement as well. I park one BA12 there between gigs to save the carry.

Have to say I'm a little intrigued about the description of the sound around the new TV cab. And, the weight reduction would be great for all the little places I play down here in Durham where one cab is plenty.

Loring and Fred312b like this.
  9. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Congrats! You pulled the trigger on it! Who did you end up buying it from? I know I had a little trouble finding a place to try and buy.

10. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / DARKGLASS / KEELEY / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    I’m pretty sure this is a popular setting (or close to it) for most here. There is so many great tones to be had with this head. I’m gonna rock this settings for a while. Someday I’ll settle on one......or not!

B833382E-19DA-410E-B6D3-2EB81ADFAA8A.

Loring, berman3313, noahw1 and 2 others like this.
  11. This is closer to my JSadowsky J bass settings. My Pj is very different. @Loring has been very helpful dialing in the mid boost settings.

Loring and Joeykun like this.
  12. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Close to mine. I like the contour exactly where yours is.

13. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, Bret and Paul came back with a *very* fair trade offer on my Fender rig. Now I’ve got some serious thinking to do....

The MG800 is a given.

However, I need to spend some more time with the BA12-3 with one of my basses, and my pedalboard, so I can make a better informed decision.

I just found out that a buddy of mine has the MG800/BA12-3 Straight/BA12-3 Slant setup, so I’m gonna get together with him to try it out, as that’s one other option I’m seriously considering.

pjbassist, Basehead, Loring and 2 others like this.
  14. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Out of curiosity, who's paired BA12s with a BA210? I'd love to hear about and see pics of either one or two 12-3s on top of the 210. I'm guessing it would be a pretty majestic sounding rig!

15. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / DARKGLASS / KEELEY / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    Genzler Artist - Sean Fairchild has this exact rig. He has some vids up on Facebook.

dwellers and Fred312b like this.
  16. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Lol this is the setup you will buy.

It’s very nearly perfect.

17. Woo! Just got a used 800gb for a killer price coming my way! This will definitely be a step up from trying to drive 2x 8ohm 400watt cabs with a TC Bam200.

Not that my practice den needs 800w...I might need a louder stereo to play along to :laugh:

18. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Contacted my Sweetwater rep. to suggest that they carry the Genzler line. He told me several of his clients as well have requested the Genzler products. Hopefully this will be something that Jeff would not be opposed to, having a distributor as large as Sweetwater.

pjbassist, imabuddha and Loring like this.
  19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    AMS/zZounds is carrying Genzler products now, so hopefully Sweetwater gets on board as well.

pjbassist, RColie, JLY and 4 others like this.
  20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well, the tall 12 showed up today. Basement results after maybe 30 minutes:

The MG is more “traditional” sounding than the BA. The BA seems to have maybe a little more definition or clarity. Not that the MG isn’t, just trying to describe it.

The MG is more full/round, more mids to it. It’s louder. I like the size and footprint and it seems to carry better. Feels lighter.

I’m gigging it on Saturday at the Farmers Market with a jazz quartet - vibes, guitar, drums and me. That will be the test as it’s probably my most demanding gig. Outside, no PA help.

So far I like it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019