Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting my first bass:D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    :bassist: Hey, im 14 (15 in close to 3 months) and live in Sweden, Stockholm. So i love music, Iron Maiden being the greatest band imo. And at school we had an assignment to pick a song and play it, so me and my friends decided to play Korn - Blind (wasnt into IM by then, hadnt heard them, its shamefull i know;) So first i was going to be the singer, but decided not to, so i got the bass instead, so we trained, and i was very unskilled with any instrument, but when we were going to perform at the music class it went pretty fine, drummer was fine, guitarist very good and the singer sucked;D He just read from the lyricpaper, anyway it went good for me actually, i didnt remember exactly where to put my finger and timing wasnt perfect or anything, but as i didnt have any previous experience, it went pretty fine considering that, my friends that listened to us said i did very well and the teacher too, guess that helped a bit to:D So now i feel that i need to get my first bass guitar, so i need some help on picking one, as iam a beginner to the bass and have almost no experience on the guitar either, could anyone recomend a fine, pretty cheap beginners bass? I Would like to play music like Iron Maiden, so if some basses are better for specific genres id like one that would fit the musicstlye of Iron Maiden, any suggestions;)? Thanks in advance!

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  3. Wait, where'd you get the bass you were using when you were performing this...Korn, as you call it?

Anyway, I'd go with an SX. I myself have a Squier that I got in that bass pack. It's decent, I usually play unplugged, but now I want a step up bass. I say get an SX and use the rest to buy yourself a practice amp (which you can still use for practice even when you move on to gigs). You don't need alot of power right now.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to Talk Bass!

4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Welcome aboard Demon! I was 14 when I started on the Bass.(1972) Those SX basses are a great buy for the money. Good luck with your new found passion.

Cheers,
    Jim

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm

6. Well bass appeals to less people than guitar does. I play both, but I consider myself a bass player. I'm not too big into chords. I just learn some parts from songs I like.

Anywho, I'm sure alot of people will recommend a bass teacher. I would too. I'm still looking for one myself. Until then, I HIGHLY suggest you get a program called "Power Tabs", then go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and find the power tabs for the songs you want to learn. It's really alot easier to learn with than regular tabs. I've learned a few songs much more quickly with it. But I'm sure someone around here can point you to somewhere better.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, wich SX model should i get? Also, what play technique is best for a beginner? Is there any chance that anyone here knows a shop in Sweden who sells bass guitars?

8. For the SX model, I'd say whichever you like. Personally I'd go with the one with PJ pick ups. I'm sure someone here will tell you which is best for your playing style (although it doesn't make too much of a difference).

As for playing style, I'd first learn how to just use my finger(s). Then you can try using a pick (which I do, depending on what I'm playing), but you'll probably want a thick pick (I use 2.00mm ones by Clayton, which I stole from my friend). And you'll also probably wanna learn slap (which I've yet to do). My suggestion is to just learn how to do the basics of all three, then fine one that suits you most (I myself jump between using two fingers to using a pick to using the back of my finger for "finger picking", which I like more than using an actual pick, but it hurts after awhile).

And for places in Sweden that sells basses...well I can't help you there. I'm assuming you have phone books over there, so I say look one up. Or you can try using Google to find a place near you.

9. there is an iron maiden steve harris sig bass and they are ususally only around 600 bucks, but they are super hard to come acrossed.

10. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    WELCOME TO THE BASS WORLD!

Well for a first guitar I would suggest a fender or epiphone bass. For Iron Maiden you probably wanna buy a Used Warwick bass. They are 5-strings but really give that good metal sound that you (hopefully) enjoy. Good Luck with your first bass whatever you decide!

11. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Theres one thing worrying me, i tried moving my 2 fingers on my right hand as when you play the bass pretty fast, but it seems it can only be done reasonably fast if i let my 2 fingers scrap against each other all the time, otherwise it wont work, i get stuck making it real slow, but on my left hand, it works great. why is this? I dont wanna play left handed? Its the same thing if i tap my 2 fingers in the table, it can only be done really slow unless i keep them really close, but i can do it with ease on my left hand:( will this be a problem? Or will i be able to make my right hand better ? Im confused:(

12. BassDerek

BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    you're only just starting... speed takes time and practice to build up, dont worry about it now. As long as you practice regularly once you get the bass you will be fine.

13. schecterbassx04

schecterbassx04

Feb 7, 2006
    NYC
    lol wait. u can only play them when they're close...
    thats the way to play it right?
    i can play pretty fast when they scrape...dunno. maybe its a bad habbit.

14. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ye, guess its nothing to worry about, but i was worried since im right handed and my left hands faster hehe;P But how much would a used Warwick cost then?

15. I would stick with the SX suggestions Any pf the Models P-Bass J-Bass or p/j Bass pickups will do the trick. Steve Harris Uses a P-bass IIRC So that would get you in the area sound wise. And sx basses are inexpensive so if you decide yuo don't want to play bass it will not have cost you much and they are very good for the money.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Warwicks are made in Germany, they are most likely cheaper over there. I suggest you find a store and play a couple before you go mail ordering anything. SX's are fine Warwicks are great but much more expensive even there. You should also fill out your profile so the other Swedes can see your here and help out, and there's not really a bass you can't play Iron Maiden on though you might want a 5 string but most people start on 4.

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hm, wich one is P and wich one J:/? Sorry, i dont know this stuff yet;D

18. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay thanks, ive been searching on google for the guitar, but cant find a online shop that sells em, does anyone know a online shop within europe that ships to Sweden and is reliable? Also, as it ican move my two fingers on my left hand easier, should i play lefty:/? It feels strange but it does feel alot easier moving my two left fingers than my right and it goes twice as fast, it feels more natural but still strange, anyone know why this is? Im righthanded and usually do everything right handed? So whats wrong? Should i get left hand guitar? Can anyone clear this up:/?Btw, does other techniques than two/three/five etc fingers work when playing metal fast? say picking? Am i doomed if i wanna play Slipknot, IM, Korn for example?

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.