1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting rid of a pedal, then purchasing it again?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willsellout, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Have any of you ever done this? I find myself doing it from time to time. Right now Im considering another Darkglass B7K (Ultra or the V2 version of the B7K). I have owned an Ultra in the past and got rid of it, but I can't really remember why and my past posts on here are all positive. I think before I didn't dig the clank that came with the B7K Ultra, but now that I've settled on a Thunderbird as my main bass I think that I might really enjoy that since it's so dark, especially running with my MBD-1.

But yeah, I've bought pedals over and over a couple times and rarely does it work out. Sometimes I buy pedals that I bought previously but didn't realize I'd owned it before until after it got to me and I was like "Oh Yeah, I remember why I didn't like this one" LOL.

Im an idiot, I think.

ExaltBass, gregmon79, hintz and 4 others like this.
  2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh this is commonplace in my life. I have a few on my board now that I have owned a few times.

3. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    There is no shame in this. I think part of it is our tastes getting more refined and mature and part of that is realizing what we let go. Happens all the time in life.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Look at it this way: pedals tend to be a lot less expensive that amps and instruments. ;)

Of course regret over selling/re-buying applies to all gear, not just pedals. I cringe when I think of all the times I sold perfectly good gear in favor of something newer/shinier/trendier, and later regretted it. Maybe the new thing wasn't as good, or maybe it was just different and not better.

On the flip side, there were the occasions when I was happier with the newer/shinier/trendier thing and never looked back. Shouldn't overlook these, either.

Overall, gear swapping and trying stuff first-hand is a great way to learn what's best for you, assuming it stays within $budget. Online research can be great, but... f'r instance, as I've said before I love MrExcane's demos, but he usually plays pickstyle on modern-sounding basses, and I'm mostly a fingerstyle/P-bass guy, so my results can be wildly different than his.

^^^This guy said it more succinctly than I did.

Jeff O'Connor, Mili, Low84 and 3 others like this.
  5. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh yeah, I started a thread about it not too long ago, 'boomerang pedals' - like I've had at least 3 each of: Bassballs, B:assmaster, Disnortion, Accountant.... just some stuff that keeps reminding me why I liked it.

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    More than I will admit to. I do find that while, I love od, even the best tend to get lost live. So, after I gig I sell something, later hear a clip using the same pedal and wonder why I ever sold it. Then the cycle repeats.

willsellout likes this.
  7. I've done this a LOT of times, usually because I'm wondering if "something better" is out there, only to realize that there isn't and needing to reacquire the same pedal I flipped. Then there are situations like pedals that just have a certain magic to them, so much so that I needed to get the EXACT pedal back, I've had that too.

To be honest, I'd love to reacquire the vast majority of pedals I've ever flipped/sold. If I had more monies, I'd never sell anything. :)

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

me either.

you are not alone! :roflmao:

9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I am on my 3rd VT.

gidbass and willsellout like this.
  10. LOL, well at least Im not the only one! I think sometimes it has something to do with seeing things through rose tinted lenses. I've bought pedals again that I thought were amazing only to find out they weren't, I was just remembering it wrong. Then there are times when your tastes change or gear changes and what you used to not like might be exactly what you want now. Or maybe not, who knows...

blindrabbit and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. mrwood4

mrwood4 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I have bought and sold 5 barbershops in the last three years..lol. I like them, but they are easily available and popular, so they are the likely target when looking to sell something to acquire something else.

12. Three pedals in particular come to mind (and I still/only have ONE of them now!)

1. Sans Amp GT-2 (2 times. Got out of that sound, then missed it. Bought another one, then sold it later, so will probably want another in a year)...

2. Bocc OC-2 (Traded it off at a local music store. Weeks later, heard it was being discontinued for the OC-3, so I ended up buying it back the very same one!).

3. Digitech RDS-1000 delay rack (2 times. Bought one new. Sold it. Bought another one used 10 years later during a "who's rack gear of doom is bigger?" phase with/against my lead guitarist. Sold it. No regrets).

Speaking of regrets, how about asking about the gear I/WE REGRET SELLING? :bored:

Lvjoebass and willsellout like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Lie down on the couch, make yourself comfortable... please, if you will, tell Uncle Siggy when you first felt the urge to recycle your life, specifically in the form of electronic devices...

(sharpening pencil for crossword)... ok, then, please... go ahead...

(9 letter word for 'buy me, again'... darkglass, yes)

14. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I recently picked up a B7K for the third time (this time got the V2). I've wanted it to work in the past but just wan't able to vibe with it. Then V2 came out and I found myself ordering one without hesitation (I've got a little impulse buying problem...lol). I liked it much better and was planning to keep it anyway but then I picked up an MBD-1 and the two of them together sealed the deal.

Overall, I've re-bought a ton of pedals over the years. I feel like as I've gotten more experienced, my ability to understand how effects work together has greatly improved. Also, in years past I was far too quick to judge an effect. I would play with something for a few hours and decide it wasn't working and flip it the next day. These days, I really take my time to properly demo an effect, including re-ordering my board to make sure to use things in different combinations.

willsellout likes this.
  15. kevdabass

kevdabass

Feb 7, 2011
    Mmm...done this a few times, but rather consigned them to drawers in the studio than get rid. But what I'm probably going to do is double up on one. I just love my
    Hartke bass attack pedal, but it's been through the wars over the years and I'm considering getting a
    back up.

tfer, Lvjoebass and willsellout like this.
  16. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I have owned a Ditto twice... ironic?

kevdabass, tfer, Spidey2112 and 12 others like this.
  17. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I’ve owned the B7K like 9 time man. Lol

Don’t worry about it. Hahahaha

hintz, vivaknoxvegas and willsellout like this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Out of fear of rebuying, I lean towards hoarding. My pedal collection is now around two dozen: all dirt, except for 2 compressors. It includes some redundancy: f'r instance I have Ultra versions of two Darkglass pedals I already owned, and still own. 2 dozen pedals is tiny compared to some I know, but for me it's overkill. Probably... maybe....

At least I was able to sell off all my rack gear. It had become unneeded, but there was still sentimental attachment, so I give myself half a brownie point for letting it go. :D

19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I have owned and then sold my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal, which also happens to be my first pedal ever, a lot of times.

Now finally deciding to keep it since I found, believe it or not, that it sounds amazing for guitar stacked in front of my EHX Tube Zipper pedal used as fuzz.

Gives me this really thick and lush wall of doom fuzz for chord work, incredible rich of amazing sounding distorted harmonics, and for single string solo work it has this totally over the top and out of control sick distorted flute on psychedelic drugs effect.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Lvjoebass, willsellout and Matt Dean like this.
  20. I've done that many times... :)

blindrabbit and willsellout like this.