Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting some work done

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, I'm finally biting the bullet and getting JefeJeff to do some work on the old quarternote generator. Here's what I'm looking to get done

new fingerboard
    new bridge
    new soundpost
    new tuners
    new tailpiece and cord

THEN my life will be prefect and I can die, happy and content.

I asked about the new pickup that will make my bass sound like an Italian Panormo when amplified, apparently that's not QUITE ready yet...

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    No no no Ed, it's the tailpiece cord that will make your bass sound like a Testore.

You having a new nut made too?

3. Holy Crap. Why dontcha have him throw in a new top, ribs, back and neck while you're at it?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, Jeff says he does a new nut whenever he does a new fingerboard.

Testore cord, is that like Monster cable?

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Hmmm. All this talk of hanging Testores and nuts for a ballsier sound might not squeak by the Department of Decorum. Better watch yourselves. :smug:

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I'm gonna get that done next time. Then maybe I'll get him to build me a NEW bass...

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    How about some b4 and after pics.. What kinda tuners you getting. Looks like around $3,500. (3-4k) of work to be done..

I have 2 Basses ready to go in for some similar work but the Tuners and Tailpieces are fine. I just need Fingerboards, Bridge on one (hopefully) and new Tailwire on one or Both as well as Post evaluations. There is always more to do taking care of your 'loved ones' :)

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    3-4k?

I don't see how that adds up. Why would it cost more than 2k even under extreme circumstances?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    K$B - I don't have a digicam, maybe JefeJeff will do the honours? I like these, Jeff said he could tweak them to his liking.

The tailpiece is sort of an after thought; Jeff said he had a Pecanic around and most folks had nice things to say about'em so I thought "what the hell"...

I ain't gonna talk money, if Jeff wants to that's totally up to him. I don't have a problem with it, either way.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    It varies a bit with each luthier and the quality or components as well as the skilled labor required.

new fingerboard?.. Not Cheap.. ask around
    new bridge?.. With adjusters.. tell me your Guess
    new soundpost?.. With a perfect fit..
    new tuners?. Cost of better tuners? (Krutz are $360. in a bag) Plugging old holes and re-bushing may be required.. I've done several.. Not an easy job at all to do well..
    new tailpiece and cord?? Cheapo at 30-50 or Pecanic at 75-150 or so?.. Wire and setup..

I had just a FB and new Bridge on my Martini in NY (with a supplied Ebony Shim) and it ran over 2K. I did the tuners and the Post and tailpiece/wire was fine.

Ask around, do the Math. Each job and person doing it varies. 2k sounds a bit low.. Way too low for my tastes and desires of components.

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm maybe you're right. I didn't mean to derail the thread. For me it's just a matter of curiosity about the general prices of having these things done. I wouldn't have thought a bridge could go over $400 or so. Maybe the price has gotten steeper in the few years since I had that done.

12. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Wow, I bet Ed plotzed when he read Ken's estimate. Ken,do you think a bass luthier should make over a hundred dollars an hour? A board will go for 700 to 1500. I think that 15 is gouging. I use the best wood available and you cannot find someone who can dress a board more accurately. A bridge should run 250 to 400. Installing tuners can vary a bit but 6-800 [tuners included] is reasonable. Plus, when some one comes in and does 5 different things I think it's nice to give a little bit of a package deal. Just cause someone charges the most doesn't make them the best! I think Ken's new nickname should be Mr. Blank Check. ;)

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    My first estimate was 2500 but I don't know the Bass or what else surrounds any related problems. My Martini had 3 maple shims overlapping and needed to be removed and a single pitched ebony shim to replace it. My FB job ran higher because it involved more work. Many Basses can benefit from a Shim is moving the neck alters the Button too much to improve the neck stand. I think according to your #s, 2500 is more accurate or maybe more possible. I didn't want to under quote your rates so I took a guess. Was I close (2500)?

14. I had a board, bridge, post and tailwire done about this time last year at Heinl's in Toronto, which is a world reknowned violin shop. The price I paid was in line with what Jeff quotes, but in Canadian dollars.

Their bass guy Steve Marchenko (sp?) is excellent. The scoop in my board differs noticeable from string to string. I can pump my E string as hard as I possibly can and never rattle it off the board. It just growls more.

15. I just had work done on the labeled, 3/4,Karl Hofner,B&J imports(New York), Salvadore de Durro model, DB, circa 1920-30s , new bridge, with adjuster, sound post,fingerboard plane, new nut,and endpin and tail piece wire, $750. I have been quoted $800-$1000 for a new FB.

When I purchaed it,the bass was sitting in the corner of a former San Diego Symphony players bedroom for along time without be played. I think since the mid 80's. After new strings and the aforementioned work it seems a bit bright still. I have been playing it three to four hours every day for the past several weeks to see if it "opens up" "plays in".IE All the terms I've heard Luthiers make with the assuption it will sound better over time.

16. Don't panic when you get it back Ed. It'll probably take a bit of time to loosen up again.
    Are you getting adjusters? Those machines are my favorites too. However the Irving Sloane machines seem to be getting the best reviews that i've seen.
    You got one of the right guys, so be assured that it'll come around.

17. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Prove it!

Block planes from ten paces!

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    No, no Ahnoldt, he said I couldn't find someone. He apparently knows that my nickname for the longest time was "Wrong Way Fuqua". Just because of 1 trip to Philly...

19. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

Anytime, Bro. Thought that would get a rise outta ya.

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    So I dropped the bass off yesterday and when we popped the nut off (there ya go, Raycorum!), there was some cracking in the pegbox (kinda parallel to the neck) which Jeff assured me wasn't necessarily due to me banging into something. So that's gonna have to be dealt with, too. But the area under the plates is gonna be pretty easy to deal with, and everything else was pronounced "in pretty good shape". So we are looking at picking it up a week from tomorrow.

I got to look at Jeff's fish and turtles and bucolic splendor AND eat a Chinese pear/apple right off a tree!