Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting That Smooth Rap Tone.......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IcedEarthWOM, Jan 12, 2006.

1. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    What FX would I need to get the that smooth rap tone. Ya know, the one that kicks some sub @$$ :smug:

I'm hoping to use some simple and non-digital FX for that.

I'm thinking that some optical compression (eg. Punch Factory) and EQ/Tube Emulation (eg. SansAmp) would do it, but I'd like some opinions :D
    From what I've read, the Para Driver has a compressed type of tone to it and might be just the thing (opinions???)

EDIT: oh, if you need an example, Mike Jones - "Back Then" is the song that inspired this thread.....

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Any chance of a link to an MP3 of that tune?

When I think rap bass, I tend to think of a resonating low-pass filter controlled by a keyboard/sequencer, and of course sampled bass loops from other people's records...

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    plug your keyboard in :bag: :D

4. I think you might have figured it out. Or maybe just some EQing, and possibly a really SMOOTH and ROUND sounding octave with compression.

5. This sound you're looking for, would it be similar to the low EQ'd reggae sound?

6. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Can't find a good quality one right now.......

Oh, do Octave pedals just create a 1 octave "undertone" from the fundamental or do they clone the whole signal and output it an octave down????

7. im not too sure. But because its all bass, you wouldnt be able to distinguish the undertone unless it have a distortion or something applied to it, like the sub switch on a EHX multiplexor

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I use a DOD FX25 envelope filter. I set it so that it doesn't open up, Bill Laswell style.

Doing this gives you a really bassy, smooth dubby sound.

they are pretty cheap used as well...

9. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1

It has nothing to do with Octave pedals, or playing low notes.

You really have to try the FX25. It is the only effect I use. Turn both knobs down, kick it on, and nothing but phat low bass tones. It works very well for me when I use my P-bass w/ flats and play up near the 9th - 12th frets.

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

heres an idea WITH an octaver, set the octave volume to taste and the direct vol to 0. and play 1 octave higher than what you wish. so the tracking acts better and the tone you get is "perfectly" round

11. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Mike Jones - "Back Then" Mp3:
    Click Here and remove the underscore from the address

12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I used to own a Line6 BassPodXT. The "SubDub" amp could do sounds like that.