GHS Fastfret, cheaters!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I was just curious in what you guys thought about GHS Fastfret. I was just browising musiciansfriend and i saw this. i bought this stuff once about a year ago, wasn't super impressed. what do you guys think, do you consider it cheating?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i like who would i be cheating?
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i've heard people consider it that?
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ...why, though? What's the reasoning? I guess we'd better start calling anyone who uses moon gels on their drums, capos on their guitars, anyone who uses an electric tuner, et all, "cheaters".

I have some, never used it. I'll probably use it when recording in the fall to reduce string noise -- not something I suffer from a lot by any means, but nonetheless, it shows up way more in recordings than practice or live playing for some reason, and I want my tracks to be as smooth and purely bass as I can without doing 932 takes.
  5. What is this "fast fret" that u speak of?
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't think there's a such thing as "cheating" when playing an instrument, just use whatever tools you think you need to use to play your instrument the way you want.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Oooooh,, really? That's cool... How effective is it at quelling finger noise?
  8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've used that stuff for ten years and never heard it called cheating. When you play a 3 hour set and someone comes up with a great invention to lighten up on hand fatigue, some loser has to come out and call it cheating. Tell that to any pro singer who uses that "Vocalist's Secret" stuff. The stuff is great. Don't buy the spray-on stuff as it used to cause a build up on the finish of your guitar. The one I use looks almost like those old school shaving cream applicators. I buy one about every 6 months. It makes your strings feel like they've been coated with silicone, very fast. Sliding feels great and your hands will hold up over long periods of time better due to less friction. If this makes me a cheater, a cheater I will continue to be. :spit:
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Why is it cheating?

Does it make all the notes you play "right"?
    Does it make your intonation on fretless spot on?
    Does it make your sightreading flawless?
    Does it make your slapping sound like Marcus Miller's?

If it did, it would be a hell of a placebo.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well moon gel is used to eliminate excess overtones etc so i dont see how thats relevant to a capo or anything as it doesnt affect how you play drums.
  11. I use fast fret about two times per four hour gig. What I don't like is the thin container it comes in. I put mine in a plastic container golf balls come in. The two golf ball container is the perfect size.
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    alright, first off... I NEVER SAID IT WAS CHEATING! like i said, i've used it, and am going to buy some again. i've heard people consider it cheating, thus i made this thread for opinions on it.
  13. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    It also makes my strings last much longer. I love it. I use it before and after practice and before and between each set on a gig.
  14. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I've been using it for about a month. I like it. I've not been using it long enough to say whether it prolongs the life of your strings or not. But it does live up to the "Fast Fret" part of it's name. Makes the neck very smooth and easy to play.
  15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    the neck? it goes on your strings.
  16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It eliminates excess overtones so as to make the sound clearer...similar to how Fast Fret removes finger noise to make the sound clearer. Yes, it doesn't affect the playability, but it affects the sound in a positive manner that doesn't require you to put forth extra effort or a significant change in technique. I just used a capo as an example for guitarists because there's a huge stigma about it -- that anyone who uses it doesn't know anything but first position chords, etc. so they "cheat" by using a capo instead of barring (when there are a lot of chords that just physically cannot be barred, yet some twits still continue on with their capo-hate).
  17. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    You can also put it on the fretboard to strengthen it or something and you can put it on the back of the neck so the neck is "slicker" for sliding and stuff. BTW is that tom from slayer in your avater.
  18. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    It says in the directions to put it on the strings and the fretboard.

I don't, however, put it on the rear of the neck.
  19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd never put it on the back of the neck. I don't put it on the fretboard either. For my fretboards, lemon oil is tops. I simply put it on the strings. After using it for a while you will develop certain time intervals duyring a gig where you will put it on. It does help with finger noise and I can tell you from experience that it does prolong string life. Just don't expect miracles. I'm usually getting Bass Boomers which I think have really low string life, but sound great when new, and I noticed a big difference when using Fast Fret.
  20. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    what exactly is in fast fret, again?