1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gibson SG Bass - Satin Finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Oct 6, 2017.

1. I've just picked up an as-new and box fresh SG bass.

It's one of the 120th anniversary models, a satin-finished chocolate brown shade.

It's amazing - I previously owned a run-out model with the glossy finish. I went for a satin as I found the glossy far to shiny and slippery - I like a vintage vibe, and with the plain headstock and dots, and satin, it feels like an old one!

I was wondering how it wears over time. Obviously these were made for a good while - I'd love to hear from any owners and their experiences how it looks after a few years useage.

Why Gibson stopped these is unfathomable, it's an icon!

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Pictures or it didn't happen :p

theevilplankton likes this.
  3. I'll get one taken tomorrow!

4. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Satin finish is where it's at. Love that Highway One look.

5. Funny you mention this, I was just thinking the other day that if I ever bought a non-Fender, this would b the exact bass(model/color) that I would likely buy. I even looked around to see if I could find one-no dice for me.

Congrats! Enjoy!

6. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Of the few cases I saw a guitar on the wall of the store that I didn't jump on later regetted was a satin Pelham Blue SG.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. Not a great shot, but here it is!

Ordered a Hipshot Supertone bridge, also going to add a thumb rest. Want it as playable as possible.

If I had the time, and spare cash, I'd love to add a Mudbucker.....but there's so much on here about that. With my Fender rig on 'vintage', and a set of Chromes, I reckon I'll achieve a pretty authentic old-skool tone.

I've read a lot more about these finishes - they may mark easily, but there's some great stuff about the tone, and how some swear they sound more woody without the layers of gunk they smother modern basses with.

There's no word (AFAIK) of Gibson making these again. A crime in my book. It's like Fender stopping the P or J! IMG_20171008_131646.jpg

8. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    They are actually coming back next year, in several colour choices, as a limited edition...

Gibson komt toch met bassen - DeBassist.nl

9. That's great news.

Funny thing is, I emailed Gibson last week, and I kid you now, they told me there was no plans to make these again.

No wonder the company is in disarray!

ajkula66 likes this.
  10. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'll agree once I get to see the price tag, since I'm theoretically in the market for both RD and SG...

Their marketing department has always been a questionable source of info when it comes to basses, and their overall policies when it comes to 4-string instruments make no sense to me way too often.

We'll see...

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Some of the best bang for buck basses out there IMO. I foolishly sold my faded SG and had to go through a coupe more to find one I liked as much.

Enjoy!