1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gigging w/ your kids - who does it???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bthrem, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    So, I'm sure this has happened to many others in this forum. My daughter played her first gig my band this past weekend. How many others have their own offspring playing them regularly or every so often? Here's dad and daughter tearing it up....

[​IMG]

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Never done it myself... my 3 adult stepdaughters are all pretty non-musical and even if they were I don't know if I'd want them in the biz... but I was in band for 4+ yrs with a guy and his son. It mostly worked out well and they both sang so that was a cool blend... The band had some issues but the father/son thing didn't have a lot to do with that.

Now husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend things within the band... Yuck. That's a whole 'nother truckload of drama.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    BTW and don't take this wrong OP, but if your daughter is as talented as she is cute, look out. I bet she has a lot of fans and mostly male!

4. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Amen! I love my wife, but "the band thing" is my last bastion of pre-married life.

My daughter is 15 and (mercifully) rather shy around boys. Her Facebook "Friend" requests however have spiked up since her performance debut :)

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I love my wife, but "the band thing" is my last bastion of pre-married life.

Same here! BTW where was that picture shot?

Looks like a nice set-up.

6. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd love to say it was the Enormodome, but it is just your typical outdoor stage (25 x 15, black truss rigging, etc). Our lead guitarist is obessed with lights so have a bunch of LED's, lasers, etc. I'm glad he has the patience to set it all up because I sure don't.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Hah! Yeah, that's our BL's thing too. Seems like he's always either tweaking the light show we've got or ordering new ones. Me, OTOH, not so up on the lighting thing and don't really care to learn. Our lighting takes about 5 times longer to set up than our P.A. and when I first joined the band I really wondered if it was worth it. Especially since we're DIY (no roadies) and those crank stands and trussing are butt-heavy. But when I stand out front during the show or see pictures, I have to admit it makes a big difference.

8. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    We must be in the same band! This my exact same experience!

9. Last year my band was looking for a guitarist. After months of craigslist nightmare auditions, the band leader suggested that my sixteen year old son should try out. We invited him to a couple of rehearsals and he learned all of songs quickly and even made up some very nice solos. He was very poised on his first gig, played great and its been a blast ever since.

10. He's not a bassist, but Tom Waits played his recent late night show circuit with his son on drums!

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And then of course there's Van Halen...

:bag:

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont have kids, and my parents dont play music.
    Though, Im pretty close with my guitar players family, and Ive played with his dad before.

13. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    My guitarist and drummer are brothers,and they've been gigging with their parents since elementary school. Now in their mid-thirtys,they still gig with Mom and Dad,and it's a blast watching the boys throw in extra fills or riffs trying to throw the ol' man off his game while mom thumps the bass with a resigned "boys will be boys" look on her face :p

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    My son's a jazz bassist so I would be pretty much useless. However, when he was young I did provide transportation.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Not quite on topic, but the drummer in my current band (age 25) is the son of a bassist who has been a fixture on their hometown scene for many years. I'm not sure they've done a lot of gigging together, but this drummer has a feel for working with bassists that I usually only find in guys twice his age. By our 2nd gig together we were locking in on fills, etc. I'm sure some of it is genetic but I think a lot of it just has to do with having seen his dad play in various bands, hearing him say what he does (and doesn't) like in drummers, etc.

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    The drummer in one of the bands I'm in has another band with his guitarist son.

17. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    I run sound for my dad's band... does that count? :p

18. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Me on the right playing bass, my father on the left playing guitar! Been in two bands with my dad so far!

Attached Files:

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's one of the coolest things you can do with your kids! Right on!

20. burnunit

burnunit obsolete

Nov 17, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    My son and I play together at home - planning to hit an open mike some one of these days.