1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Giving notice to band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by davidjbass, Jun 5, 2009.

1. I would like to get some advice on how much notice you should give to your cover band when you plan on leaving?
    I plan on staying for the rest of the year and they don't know I intend on leaving yet. Our last scheduled gig is New Years Eve which is the one I would like to make my last gig with them. There are no problems with the band I have just had my fill (30 years) of playing late nights in all kinds of weather, hauling P.A., lights, dealing with club owners and all that stuff that goes along with being in a cover band. Plus I a have a good d.j. business going that allows me to make more money and get home earlier. And I want to put more time into some original music that I have put off for years.

I know that with an ordinary job you would normally give 2 weeks notice but I know that that does not work in this case. I was thinking 30 to 60 days. That would give them enough time to find another bass player. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    4 weeks is very fair. there isn't a set policy - it varies from situation to situation depending on the personnel. If they have trouble finding a replacement you could negotiate an extension.

Giving notice for the first of next year (1/1/2010) is super reasonable.

3. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    TBH, I'd just tell them now, and then bring it up every now and then to make sure they don't forget and start looking for replacements. It would be a problem if the band books another gig after New Year's and they don't know that you're leaving. Also, since you're on good terms with these guys, I'd say you should give them the chance to find a replacement without them feeling they have to rush to do so after booking such a gig.

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    2 months and give them the "but you are welcome to ask me to step down earlier if you find a replacement, just give me 2 weeks notice please" option ...

.... for no other reason than to make sure they can succeed without you and nobody has to stress.

5. Based on your particular situation, I would tell them A.S.A.P that you will NOT be playing with them after 12/31/2009. Advise them that they should certainly be able to find a replacement before then. If and when they do, you should even be willing to help with the transition if the new guy has some prior commitments or what ever, but whether they find a suitable replacement or not 12/31/2009 is it.

6. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    That's how I'd handle it. In fact I'm contemplating leaving my gig. Problem is my real job. Second shift, can't get off it, and they just denied me a vacation day next Friday so I can't play. They (the band and my boss) have known about this for several months now. Thing is, playing music is my passion, and I will not give up a gig willingly unless there is no other choice. Unfortunately, until I can get a day shift job, I'm stuck with an unacceptable situation. I also do not believe its fair to restrict the band's opportunities because my Friday availability is a crapshoot. I'm about ready to tell the guys I have to step aside, but I ain't gonna like it...

7. I would tell them now that I don't want to do band gigs after the end of the year. Explain your position to them, and that you'd really like to finish out the year.

But I'd also accept that they may decide to replace you before the end of the year.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Since you've already decided to leave, maybe you really won't be into the band enough that it won't show.

I'd let them know that you'd like to play 3 more months before your retirement and then give them 3 months to fill your slot. You might let them know you want to play New Year's Eve as your last, pre-retirement gig, if at all possible.

That way, it can be kind of a "celebration" of your retirement that can be promoted at your gigs.

9. Thanks to all for some great advice. I think to save a lot of stress I am going to wait until September and then give them a until the end of the year to find someone and then if they still need me I will cover the gigs until they find another bass player. Right now there is a lot of stress in the band regarding losing gigs to the economy. So I don't want to ad fuel to the fire. And I want our summer gigs to go well and not have this cloud hanging over us.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My take is this:

Do what's best for YOU.

If its important for you to keep the gig through 12/31/09, don't tell them now, as I can all but guarantee you'll be replaced sooner.

If you don't care if you're replaced by next week or next year, tell them whenever you want.

My inclination would be not to tell them for quite a while as simply knowing that you're going to leave will appreciably disrupt the band dynamic and the players' attitudes toward you in the meantime -- to some degree or the other.

Good luck!