1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Amp mated to Warwick cabs (a possibility?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LTDVIPER333, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Hi folks
    Recently perchased a second hand 80s Gallien-Krueger 400RB head unit amp, and, being reasonably new to the game, was looking for a cab within my price range. Have taken a keen interest in Warwick bass cabs including the WCA 411 Pro (4 0hms) and WCA 115 Pro.
    I've heard consequently that Warwick Cabs are best matched to tube amps, but an older solid-state amp(like the 400RB) mite be an exception? In short I would like your opinions on weather you think this combination would be workable or just sound like garbage/be potentially non-compatible?
    Cheers :bassist: :ninja :;)

2. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Should work just fine. The 400RB works great with 4x10's and 4ohm loads, just keep it in open spaces so it won't overheat!

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Virtually any cab and amp will work together, as long as the cab's impedance is OK for the amp.

As to how it will sound, only you can make that evaluation. If you ask others, some will say it sounds great. Others will say it's crap. Listen and decide.

It's like asking a bunch of other people what you should have for dinner.

4. Hi guys
    Cheers for the advice. Usually you here of GKs being mated to Ampegs, Mesas or SWRs, so was unsure as to how Warwick would stack up against these brands. Yea 400 RB is designed to run either one 4ohm cabnet at 200 watts or two 8ohms cabs at 125 watts, so was keen just to get a singular 4ohm cabnet, like the 411 Pro - as a first time rigger.

Sounded pritty bad through a singular 8ohm 115 Peavy Black Widow cabnet(like a 20 watt practice amp!) but that may have been due to the fact I had the -10 db switch on.

Unfortunately live in a rural area of NZ so may have to get a mate to test Warwick cabs out in the Wellington Rockshop.
    Cheers :ninja::bassist::bassist::bassist:

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi LTDVIPER333.

North American-made amps are often matched to North American-made cabs by North Americans who live in North America. :D

Whereas in the U.K., for example, it'd be largely a mix & match between say.., Sound City, HiWatt, and Marshall etc.

Electric bass players everywhere do the same thing for the same reason: they rustle up the best rig they can afford from whatever is at hand.

May you find a match which makes you wanna :hyper: :bassist:! :)

6. Yea, Ampegs, SWRs,Marshalls and Mesas are availiable here in the South Pacific. I can get a Warwick cab for around $700 and SWR's for around $1000 with Mesas coming in at $1400 and Ampegs close to SWR's. Warwick sounds like their cabs are a fairly basic set up. Beats DIYing as I'm new to the game.:ninja::bassist::bassist::bassist::hyper:

7. chrisx666

chrisx666

Oct 15, 2006
    Yorkshire UK
    I use Warwick cabs and are very happy with them. Can't think where the 'best matched to valve amps' bit would come from - sounds like hearsay BS to me. Warwick don't even make a full valve/tube amp.

Avoid the 410 pro - the speakers are cheapo. The 411pro has much better drivers.

I have played small gigs with a 211pro and it handled it just fine. Most of the time I just use a single 8 ohm WCA115NEO nowadays - it's lighter and fits in the car more easily. Ashdown ABM500 amp by the way, used both with and without valve pre-amp.

8. Demanu

Demanu

Apr 24, 2009
    Poland, Lublin
    If someone likes full tube amps it obviously that he will say "Warwick Cabs are best matched to tube amps" ;)

it will be working fine. Dont care about it.

And sound? I dont like gear form W so i would be looking for something other... but it's my opinion. The sound will be like from... GK and W :p

9. True hey cheers heaps 4 advice guys , Chrisx666 I was leaning towards the WCA 115 Pro due to the fact i generally prefer a lower sound, and if 410s sound anything like 210s would rather go for the 1x15 option, wondered if you had an opinion on that?