1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK MB Fusion 800 too loud!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krikcet, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    Hey guys! I just recently purchased a Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 800 amp from Sweetwater. It sounds absolutely fantastic. The only issue is that it is much more powerful than I had expected. I mean, I can only turn the output up probably 5% of the way without being wayyy too loud in a band with two drummers, two guitarists, and keys. I'm running it through an Ampeg 410he (500 watts RMS) and an Orange OBC 115 (400 Watts RMS). I would hate to send it back, as I've already done that with a bass and I don't want my representative to hate me, plus the tone is so beautiful. I'm considering swapping the 410 for a GK neo 212 (600 watts RMS). Would that give me a bit more room to move around? I also considered grabbing a preamp pedal(like the Aguilar Tonehammer) and just using the volume controls on that to work as a pad. Thanks in advance!

SLO Surfer likes this.
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    So let me understand. You bought an 800 watt amp and it's too loud? :roflmao:

Chef, Downunderwonder, SJan3 and 9 others like this.
  3. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Get one of these?

fhznxx6teydw6dwgynsz.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What are the rest of your knob settings? Because you should be able to play it anywhere from bedroom to large gig volume.

If it's too loud why are you still using two cabs? Unplug one.

5. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    But seriously, maybe try using only one of those two bass cabs. If your volume needs are low enough that you're having difficulty even setting your amp to a quiet enough setting, then odds are you can get away with just one of them.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    There's always the -14dB pad too.

Jim Carr, jeff7bass, Chef and 11 others like this.
  7. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Make sure to turn you gain down. Not just your master volume.

And yes that is a stupid loud head.

ObsessiveArcher, jeff7bass and kpc like this.
  8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    It sounds crazy but I had one and agree with you - I prefer amps where the volume control is more linear. Try the -14 db switch, turn down the gain, or trade it in on a 500 watt amp. And it's not just the 800 watts - I've used two other class D 800 watt heads (MESA and Genzler) and the volume controls are not nearly as sensitive.

SLO Surfer likes this.
  9. You could always send it to me - I got a 20 watt practice amp I could trade you for... ;)

BassikLee likes this.
  10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah, I dumped my Fender Rumble V3 500 because it was too loud with the gain settings I like. Great sounding head, but it was a balancing act to not overwhelm my 210 cab, and it was too loud with my 410 in certain venues. I relegated it to outdoor gigs and large venues for a year or two. I have had several other 500 watt heads and have yet to see a scenario where I needed any more than that.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Turn it down.

12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    exactly. not rocket surgery....

I have a Mesa D800. I use either 1 or 2 Epifany UL2 1x15 cabs depending on venue. 90% of the time I am using only 1 and it is plenty with 2 guitars, drums, and keys. The drums and bass are NOT sent through our PA. just vocals and guitars.
    its a good way to keep the guidards sound down to a reasonable level......

I used both this summer at an outdoor gig and it was plenty. Don't remember ever turning the master volume past 1/2 way.

OK, I did once. at home. in the bedroom with both 15's hooked up.
    There was damage when the wife's knicknacks fell of a shelf in the living room.
    I'm not really allowed to talk about it. needless to say I am only currently authorized to use the Fender 40w combo amp for home practice.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Passive volume control in the effects loop. I've seen them for like $40 new (EHX I think?), I'm sure it'd be easy to build too.

tlite, Krikcet and lakefx like this.
  14. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I feel the same about my MB Fusion 500 sometimes. I can't even imagine how loud the MB800 gets! I just use the volumes on my A/B pedal for fine adjustment.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    It sounds like you don't need quite so much cabinet! The ampeg 410HE is pretty loud, and doubled up with another cab is VERY loud (I use two of them in an irresponsibly loud band and, like you, rarely turn up my master volume past 2 or 3 on the dial). It sounds like this configuration would be way, way too loud for what you are doing.

The GK Neo 212 is going to sound very different from your sealed 410HE (and may not be much quieter). I notice you said things sound beautiful right now, so swapping these units may change it unfavorably to your ear. Or maybe you'll love it :)

Just for kicks, my process for approaching this would be something like:

Fusion 800 + Ampeg 410HE alone:

1. Do I like how it sounds?
    -YES: go to question 2
    -NO: end. Try different cab!

2. Is it loud enough?
    -YES: I like how it sounds and it is loud enough. I'm done!
    -NO: Look for a similar sounding, louder cabinet arrangement. (610 HLF, Berg NV610, pair of SVT212AV's all come to mind while being completely insensitive to budget).

If none of this works, go to scenario 2:

Fusion 800 + Orange 15 alone. If you like how it sounds, stick with it. If more horsepower is needed, get another Orange 15. I haven't any experience with this particular cabinet and driver, however typically 15's push less air than a 410 (I know, driver sensitivity and efficiency count but I can't be bothered to do the research). If this cab's tone makes you happy, 2 of them may be just the ticket to having enough volume on tap in case things get loud without creating a runaway train issue.

My own experience with the 410HE is that it sounds a little bit thin on its own, but fattens up to super greatness when doubled up. I'm sure the Orange 15 would change a bit in character if you added another, but generally if you double up on more of what you already like the result will be goodly. :)

Look forward to hearing how you solve this!

16. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Ha! I know EXACTLY what you mean. I AB'd this amp with a few others. I wanted to love it but found it nearly uncontrollable.

Krikcet likes this.
  17. Krikcet

Krikcet

Jun 1, 2016
    Auburn, NY
    Thanks for all the replies! I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've previously owned a Markbass LMT800, and that didn't come close to the volume on the GK!

As far as the cabinets go, the 410 alone is just too thin for what I need. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful sounding cabinet, but I'm using it in a band that primarily covers the Grateful Dead! I like the way the 115 rounds out the 410, but I'm well aware of the 410 surpassing the 115 in volume. That's why I'd hoped that the 212 might be a nice compromise. Plus, a higher RMS adds peace of mind.

I might have to give that a go. God forbid it ever lost power or got stepped on by accident. My cabinets would explode!

Like I said, I know it sounds ridiculous, so I appreciate your suggestions!

Jurbanski and InhumanResource like this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I hear you, the 410HE is a hair anemic on its own and really not a great solution without a partner. Out of curiosity, have you have come across an SVT-115E? They sound really good, are lighter than the 410HE and are cheap on the used market. A pair of them might solve the issue without being absurdly loud. I'm going to maintain that your amplifier is fine and the cleanest resolution here is making a change on the cabinet side.

19. It's the head! As people who have owned/used one before have replied to you here, they are way louder than any other 800 watt class D amp. I don't think you need to mess with your cabinet set up. The GK MBF 800 is hard to control. I can't turn my gain or master up past 9:00 on the dials, and trying to do small accurate adjustments in volume down there is near impossible.

I owned the Mesa D800 for awhile to compare and would have the gain and master set at about 1:00 to match the GK's volume where the gain and master were a little below 9:00. Both were as loud as I'd ever need them at those settings.

I'm looking to scale down to the 500 MB Fusion. I just love the tone of my MBF800, but have had the same problems as you trying to control the volume.

Edit: while you are getting good overall advice about amps and cabinets from everyone, I'd pay extra close attention to the advice from those who have owned/used this particular amp. It's hard to believe how powerful it is until you've tried one yourself.

20. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have an MBF800. I don't play in loud bands. Never had a problem turning it down to a reasonable volume. And, it has plenty of headroom, having the extra watts there but not cranked. Definitely, no need to run 2 cabs if it's too loud-- that, more than the amp, is likely the source of the"too-loud"ness. That an a volume setting that is too far to the right.

Munjibunga and SLO Surfer like this.