GK MB200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Old Fart, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I hope I am not bending a rule here, but there is one of these things available locally for very small coin and I just want to reiterate my thought for gigging amp strategies. Many gigging amps are very reliable (I am still itching to get a WD800) but failure is not impossible and this happens at gigs that are two hours away from home. So....I propose to find a small Class D amp that fits under the passenger seat, and just leave it there and forget it. If the gigging amp fails, then I will remember.

I'd much rather have a Streamliner for this but they are more spendy and what if the car got stolen or fills with water or whatever... This GK200, theoretically, makes 2/3 the power of an SVT. As Mr. Lennon said...whatever gets you through the night.

Does anyone have a small backup amp under the passenger seat of their car?

2. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I bought a used MB200 exactly for this reason. It’s so small, it lives in a pouch on one of my bass gig bags. I’ve been using an MB500 for a few years as my main head through an old SWR Goliath III. Turned out to be a fine combination. MB200 is a fine little head.

Al Kraft, Wicked G, Rocker47 and 10 others like this.
  3. I'd never leave it there. No guarantee it'll work after getting bounced around. Put it in the glove compartment. If it doesn't fit, get an Elf instead.

bassdeal, TheAnalogKid and smogg like this.
  4. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    No, nothing of value stays in my vehicle. The MB200 is small enough to travel with you to the stage in a gigbag or case. Cool amp for sure!

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    TE Elf is my backup amp. It travels in my gigbag though...

funkinbottom likes this.
  6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    IMG_7963.JPG The MB200 is a great little rig , heck , I play mine every day with headphones and a tablet plugged in the aux input .
    And use it with a tiny speaker as a practice rig .
    I actually use it far more than I use my stage rigs .

srayb, Nuage420, Rocker47 and 6 others like this.
  7. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I got a GK MB 500 about a year ago and I use it all the time, including when practicing on the quiet side at home. This hearty wee amp bumped an 800 watt Traynor as my go-to head. I still have the Traynor and I bring it to gigs as a backup, but the GK sounds a good bit better for me and it throws plenty of volume without even turning up too far.

I've also thought of getting an MB 200 if I spot one nearby, but I don't know if I'd use it at all. If I did have one as a backup and left it stashed in my car, I think I'd keep it sealed in a zip-lock bag or something like that just to help guard it from moisture and dirt/dust. Maybe bundle it in some bubble wrap, too.

RocknRay likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I keep all my cables and MB-500 in a laptop backpack (padded area for the head). Plenty of room with that for the 200 - great for a backup.

9. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    I use a toolbox to carry my Mesa Prodigy. The bottom has been modified to house a MB200. Never had to use it, but it's always ready.
    Roadcase 2.jpg

Al Kraft, MVE, sotua and 8 others like this.
  10. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Look to the Markbass Nano 300 or Genzler Magellan 350. Both excellent

11. agnacianc

agnacianc

May 5, 2020
    My main amp is an MB200. Sounds killer--the portability is an added plus.

12. TC Electronic BH-250 can be had for right around $200, it’s comparable to the mb200 which is also nice. I’d maybe protect it a little by at least keeping it in a pouch or something.

13. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I used to keep a Carvin BX250 under my seat in a bag. I never had to use it luckily. Now I have a Mesa Walkabout and a Subway D800. I usually just bring both since they are so small.

The TC Bam is a really cool little amp.

14. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I used to keep a Trace ELF in my tool box that went to every gig. If I ever get to the point when I'm gigging every week, I'd do it again. It's smart.

I also use an MB200 into an ampeg 410 for rehearsals sometimes and it can hold its own just fine with enough air.

Of all the small heads, this is the one I'd get, based on reliability.

wave rider likes this.
  15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The MB200 has been my steady eddy for years now. Heck Ive used it on bar gigs with a loud 212 no problem.

Al Kraft, obimark, dalkowski and 2 others like this.
  16. IMG_20201222_120757484.jpg I use two of them for my amp. Love the mb-200.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    jmlee, RumbleBot, Nuage420 and 5 others like this.
  17. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    StereoPlayer...I've got two of those amps..how do you do that? Thanks..how many watts must your cabinet have with this setup?

StereoPlayer likes this.
  18. I picked up a used mb200 at gc online for half of new.

dalkowski likes this.
  19. The bass is wired stereo. One MB is connected to a 4 ohm 2-10 and the other MB is connected to an 8 ohm 2-10. Easy.
    Neck PU is connected to the 4 ohm and the bridge PU is connected to the 8 ohm cab(with effects)

daveman50 and dave64o like this.
  20. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 29, 2022