1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Glock pre stacked knob question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongomania, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm getting a Glock pre, and they tell the size of the other knob shafts but not the stacked one. Is it unusual in any way, did people have any trouble fitting a stacked knob on there? Which knobs did you choose? Does the Fender stacked knob set fit?

Thanks!

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I believe they are 4mm and 6mm. I bought a set of Warwick knobs from TBer RocketMusic which worked perfect. Both Warwick and Glock use the same stacked pot.

My digital calipers have a dead battery so I can not measure for sure.

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks for that- anyone else?

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I asked ThePerfectBass where I bought mine and they responded with the warmoth part numbers that would work:

Now, I still haven't installed the preamp.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Cool, I ordered those, thanks for the info. Now I've received the preamp, and measured the pot shafts, and they are 4mm and 6mm.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Update! :mad: I received those knobs today, and they are a very poor fit on the Glock stacked pot. There's like 1/16" gap between the shaft and the inside of the knob, so when you tighten down with the grub screw the knobs sit off-center and at an angle, causing them to push against each other at certain points in the rotation. I have temporarily improved the situation by wrapping about four layers of copper shielding tape around each shaft, but in the longer term I will need to get knobs that fit better.

I don't know if the problem with these is a misunderstanding about ID vs. OD, or just really loose tolerances, or if the measurements given in the Warmoth catalog are "nominal" (like a 2x4) rather than "actual", or what.

If anyone has recommendations for a set they know will fit well from real first-hand experience, I'm all ears. :)

7. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU

I suggest you contact Tyler.

8. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    Bongo, get with Greg, TBer RocketMusic. He is a Warwick dealer and got my knobs for me. It will take about 7-10 days but the complete set of knobs is only $25 delivered.

9. d sage

d sage

May 16, 2005
    Cincinnati
  10. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    That black stacked knob looks just like the one I got from Warwick in the set. Looks like they are charging $8 US, how much was the shipping?

11. d sage

d sage

May 16, 2005
    Cincinnati
    S&H was roughly 1.5 - 2X the cost of the item. There was no duty or anything on top of this, just a few weeks wait.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I have to say I think it is effing ridiculous that US vendors will sell the pre but they don't stock (or apparently in the case of ThePerfectBass even know about) the correct stacked knobs. Grrr.

I'll probably go with the Warwick ones Clint mentioned (thanks for pointing out Rocket Music, I couldn't find the Warwick knobs via Google)... But it would be nice if there were some selection of styles. I like the Fender fluted plastic knobs with the indicator line. I'm using chickenheads right now. :p Too bad there's no such thing as a stacked chickenhead knob.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Man, I'm sorry about that. That was the info I got from TPB. Hate to pass on bad info. PM me your PayPal account and I'll reimburse you for the knobs.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I appreciate that very much, but it wasn't your fault.

15. CrashClint

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    I can't recall his name, but there is a guy online that makes hand made wooden knobs and I think Nordstrand may as well.

16. salwendert

salwendert

Jul 7, 2008
    Orange, CA
    National Sales Manager, Tyler Salwender
    Bongo,

Sorry for all the troubles with the knob. When you ordered the Pre, we did not have word on the knob's yet. Glock was getting them mfg at that time and there was no word on delivery, hence the non-information from us here at Salwender. Not TPB fault, My fault. I spoke with Brandt today and am going to send out a set of the correct sized knobs for you (should you want them still). I am also going to send extra sets for current customers of TPB and other dealers who are having the same issues.

Yours truly,
    :ninja:

17. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Bongo,

What did you wind up going with? I have the Glock stacked pot 3-band on it's way, and I need a stacked gold knob.

thanks

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh hey, sorry I didn't see the last question there until today. Brandt at TPB very kindly sent me a set of the correct knobs. He/they are the people to contact- and in fact I see they have added the knobs to their website. The Glock/Warwick knobs are a perfect fit.