1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Godin SA synth tracking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    How well does the Godin SA basses do at tracking? Im curious about going from the gr-20 into the computer via reason or massive. would there be way to much latency?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Roland gear uses pitch to voltage detection. That means the recognition of pitch lags by 1/2 a wavelength. On the open E string, that's about 12 ms of latency. An open B string would be about 18ms of latency. Latency does improve as you go up in pitch of course.

That's why Roland gave up on bass controllers many years ago.

For bass, you're better off with a wired fret controller which doesn't sense string pitch, but the last one that was made was Peavey's Midibase and Cyberbass models in the late 1990s.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Hm pitch to voltage? No. Todays guitar synths are digital. Pitch to voltage was way back when. And I wouldn't say that Roland has given up on bass controllers. The GR-20 has a dedicated bass mode.
    Tracking is decent using the GR-20 and a bass guitar. There's some latency in the deep bottom end, yes, but it still tracks reliably. I play two six string basses with the Roland GK pickup installed, here are some sound clips (look under the GR-20 heading).
    I would expect that the Godin SA instruments would track pretty much the same, as the tracking is more depending on the electronics in the guitar synth than on the pickups. As long as the pickups work as they should, the tracking will also work as it should.