Going in for my first gig later this week.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mysterial, Nov 28, 2022.

1. mysterial

mysterial

Oct 22, 2022
    (insert thread title here)

The gig is in quite a large venue, and for a first gig, it's a little overwhelming.

Any words of advice? Rookie mistakes? Etiquette?

2. Govner22

Govner22

Jan 19, 2013
    Even after lots of gigs I still like to OVER prepare; knowing I did all I could in advance keeps me calm. Second, the bassist isn’t typically the center of attention so folks won’t normally notice a mistake as long as you’re keeping the groove. (They ARE more likely to notice timing mistakes so keeping in time is essential). And if you can, try to look up at the audience with a smile once in awhile. If I make a mistake while I’m watching the audience my second point gets proven almost every time. Good luck!

Big Benner, Oddly, Blueinred and 10 others like this.
  3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Make sure you piss off the monitor engineer as early as possible. You should probably also get there a few minutes past the hard deadline for sound check.

4. TerenceE

TerenceE Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2015
    tune right before you start. even if you tuned during sound check or 5 minutes earlier. tune lol

good luck! adopt over think.

just go with it!

Mr Cheese and g-dude like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Aside from knowing your material and trusting the sound person is not your enemy.

Relax. It’s just music. It’s like sewing pants. You got this.

It’s totally ok to be a little nervous. Rock it. If you get the shakes just stare at the exit sign, it’s usually in back behind the people so they think you’re looking forward. If you mess up, don’t panic. Everyone messes up once in a while. Pat Metheny has entire albums of tens of thousands of random notes and he’s done ok for himself. Point is nobody knows if you shank one note so don’t derail the song. Other point is I don’t care for Metheny. Just focus on the timing because that’s what people notice. And be prompt between songs. It’s ok to tell the audience that the next song is about a boy and a girl. Just don’t pause too long. Dead air is lame.

Go get it. You got this. I hope you rock the house.

6. bassGtar

bassGtar Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    CT
    Eat you Wheaties. Make sure you practice the setlist ahead of time and don’t do anything that can injure your hands.

7. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
  8. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    If you are playing with a band, then practice where you aren't looking at each other. Also practice or play through your set standing up, that is unless you planned on sitting down for the performance anyways.

9. Headless horse

Headless horse Inactive

Nov 4, 2022
    Latvia
    Just be calm, don't think about it as Your first gig, but just a gig. Maybe few hours before take a glass of gin with tonic and don't forget to check Your gear before You leave the house. Believe me - everything will be OK !!!

10. My first time out, I was totally lost through most of the first song. This was a song that I had practiced to death and knew frontward and backward. And I just was LOST. Second song I found my footing and never looked back. I even have a video of that first song, and even though my head was exploding, it doesn't come across so bad. So while I hope everything goes smoothly, even if it doesn't, have a short memory and keep plowing forward.
    Secondly, think "excited" over "nervous" - it's OK to be excited, and you can even use that to your advantage when playing, rather than thinking about it as nervousness. Excitement brings out the best in you.
    Best of luck - you'll be fine.

Sands and Sub41 like this.
  11. Joeywhat

Joeywhat

Nov 1, 2022
    Get your practice in but don't overdo it. Go out there and have a good time and don't worry about making mistakes. Play your ass off and keep your head in the moment, not in whatever you think the crowd thinks (spoiler alert, they're having a good time so stop thinking about it).

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Make sure your zipper is up.

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... great advice , relax , and have a great gig !!
    :cool:

Govner22 and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. pjbassist

pjbassist Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bring a backup...both a bass & amp...you want to be prepared for anything! Have fun!

ELG60 and lovechick like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Judging from the title, it sounded like you were having major surgery, soon.

Well rehearsed, I hope? Have fun, no matter what!

Inky13, JRA and bassGtar like this.
  16. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Just relax and enjoy the moment. I've seen world famous musicians get lost during a live performance, so don't sweat it...

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Position yourself on stage where you can see the drummer's bass drum foot (to see) and hopefully be able to put your foot against that drum (to feel). This way, no matter what the sound on stage is like, you will know where "1" is.

dcbluesbass likes this.
  18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Smile. Don’t wave.

19. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    As others have said, focus on the drums. Your job is to be linked with the drums. Even after years of gigging, that’s where my attention goes first to get grounded as soon as the first note of the first song hits. Establish that foundation with the other time keeper. Maybe smile at the drummer to let them know you are feeling it. Then take a breath and enjoy the ride.

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  20. smile, make eye contact with people. don't stand in one place perfectly still like a concrete statue.