1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gold leaf

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassHorse, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TheBassHorse

TheBassHorse

Feb 2, 2010
    Hi, all. I'm fairly handy, and i'd like to try my hand at guilding (or gold leafing) my bass guitar. Its a USA made J bass, and i had a few questions about the process.

1) Would the tone be negatively affected at all by the gold? The gold is, of course, extremely thin, but ive heard that metal finishes can alter the tone of a guitar. Essentially, how much metal is needed for this to happen?

2) What exactly does fender finish the USA made basses with? This is a discontinued custom shop model, the fender custom classic jazz bass. Im not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks!

2. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I haven't done any gold leaf for a while.. I can't imagine that the gold leaf itself will cause any 'tone problems', but if you are to clear coat it (Gold leaf is fairly fragile), thats where you would have to be careful.

I reckon just get a plain, unfinished body off ebay, gold leaf that to keep you customshop body unmolested!

3. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    There is no way leaf is going to affect the tone. There just isn't enough metal or size(the 'glue') there to affect ANYTHING.

4. TheBassHorse

TheBassHorse

Feb 2, 2010
    Awesome, thanks guys!

5. I used to consult and demo at a local guitar builder's shop, and they put gold leaf on a few headstocks.
    No tone issues.
    Looked cool.

Go for it.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Someone here has a platinum-leafed Ritter, so it's completely possible.

7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Come to think of it.. fender did a custom shop gold leaf and silver leaf strat a few years back..

8. Guilding won't affect the tone.

9. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lsy cmprsn.

So, what's the best metal for bass? :)

10. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    i just gold leafed my VM squier jazz...no tonal issues but i have found i'm not good a gold leafing

11. bass ≠ lead guitar
    bass = gold to my ears

12. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've gilded a couple of cheap-o guitars before. They sound just fine. I intend to do a bass in copper one of these days.

13. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Who's got pics of a gilded bass? I kinda get what you guys are talking about, but I could use some visual cues.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021