1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good 4x10 bass cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImHereToAsk, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    Hello,
    I am looking for a good 4x10 bass cabinet that suits a vast variety of genres. I play in a local coverband and we play a mix of everything. But i'd say we mostly play jazzish to popish songs that have a lot of low end bass. For example Aint no mountain high enough by Marvin Gaye and Valerie by Amy Winehouse.
    The cab needs to be 4x10 because of the settings we play in (mostly bars, small concert halls and backyard parties) and also because transporting a big cab is a pain in the a**.
    Do you guys have any suggestions to which cab i should buy? Should i really be getting a 4x10 or is it better to go bigger and ignore the transport pains?
    I'm willing to invest quite a bit into this rig so price isn't a big issue.
    Thanks for the support ^^

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd lean more towards some of the alternative configuration: two 1 X 12's, 2 X 10's, etc. Take a look in the classifieds and you'll get the idea. Since you're not on a tight budget, you could easily cobble together a rig which is transportable and would run circles around a conventional 4 X 10 enclosure.

Riis

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Epifani UL410

I've got a first generation, which you can find for $300-$500 all day long. It's pretty light and ridiculously loud. And it thumps pretty hard and moves a ton of air. It sounds great as well.

I run mine with several amps and it likes all of them.

What's fun is running mine with an Ashdown LB30 (30W tube head). That combination gets stupid loud. I have done a ton of gigs with a 30W head. :D

However, with a Mesa Walkabout.... :wideyed: I can kill small animals within a few feet of that cab.

4. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Agreed, my epi is insane at 1ooow and I think around 50lb. Ive been looking for a pf50t to go with it, so I'm glad to hear your experience with tube watts.

20180525_155533.

5. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    whero, JeffC23, diegom and 1 other person like this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's the "alternative" I use. Given the previous posts, all I can say is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:

Epifani.

7. Marblou2

Marblou2

Jan 31, 2013
    Vermont
    How UL410 sounds compared to DB410 ?

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yes -- the best 4x10 is a vertically stacked pair of matching 2x10s.

9. sigterm

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    It's a DB212, very very different sound. Actually had a lot of issues with one of the 12's rubbing and have since replaced with eminence delta lfa12s and the aguilar (by eminence) 12s into single pa cabs where they're shining. The epi really can kill squirrels. The agui gets really big. Both with their adjustable tweeters and my amps vle/contour they're both very versatile. The eminence lfa12 are better tonally than the agui were, to my ears.

MeHitDrum likes this.
  10. If price isn't a concern, perhaps consider a Barefaced Big Twin II. Yes, it's not a 410 but it will match or outperform many of the 410's currently on the market. Good luck in your search. Lots of options out there for you.

upload_2018-7-13_10-48-27.

Attached Files:

11. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    Seems interesting, it is a 4 ohm 500watt cab right? Would it work well if you'd put a mesa boogie bass 400+ amp on it. Would the combination "fit" well?

12. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    The ampeg sounds interesting too, its compact and delivers quite a punch from what i've read. Thanks for the suggestion

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you're locked into a 410, the Genz-Benz Über is it! Lowest of the lows. You see them pop up for sale now and then here and on Reverb.

14. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I really like vertical 410's so I mainly use 2 TC Electronic RS210 cabs. However when I just want to roll in a 410 box on casters, the GK NEO 410 was the best I auditioned back in 2014. At that time I auditioned Ampeg, Fender, Acoustic, Markbass and Eden and I greatly preferred the GK.

But if I was currently looking for a 410, I would definitely look for a great condition Genz Benz UBER 410.

ImHereToAsk likes this.
  15. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Barefaced Four10. This cab will handle any gig. 49 pounds. If you want overkill, then add a Barefaced Two10s for a modular set-up. The Four10 alone kills so I don't really get that many chances to bring the combined rig, but occasionally I do, just because I can.

21367002_10211885645470038_364592974358362627_o. upload_2018-6-13_12-6-5.

16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    A 4x10 is fine. I've seen 2x12s that are just as loud. As for a good brand, take your pick. There are so many options, and pretty much everyone makes a decent 4x10 these days. I've been using two Hartke 410XLs for the past few years and they do an admirable job. Before that I was using a Hartke VX410 and that was fine as well. SWR makes a good 4x10, as does Ampeg. Honestly, the only reason I went with Hartke is that Sam Ash sells them, so I know I can buy a new one pretty much anywhere in the country if one dies on the road.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. sigterm

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    That is one mighty fine looking rig there

Peter Guthrie and Plutonium244 like this.
  18. If I wanted a 4x10 it’d be an Acme B4. My alternative is a vertical stack of pair of Acme B2 cabinets. :)

Kokoman likes this.
  19. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I use the amped SVT HLF 4x10 cabs (I use two)..I also have two Hi Tone cabinets which are 4x12..so I am going to leave you this link for the Hi Tone cabs as I highly recommend these as some of the finest non mass produced handmade cabinets on the planet......HT412 Bass Cabinet - Hi-tone Amplification

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  20. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    GK Neo 410s and 212s are tiny, light, and loud. It also helps that they can handle a ton of watts and sound fantastic.

My GK Neo 810 is VERY responsive to eq changes. The 410 is the same, just half the package.

Try it and be surprised, I've only got good things to say.

kilgoja and Jason Hollar like this.