1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good ol Phase 90... it just works

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by armybass, Nov 18, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Last night my trio got a request to due Purple Rain. It is a tune we do and we always get a great response from it but it is a song with lots of open space for colorization. I normally play it clean with no effects but last night I just decided to kick on the Phase 90 and had it set to about 4 o'clock and it was perfect. It just gave that lovely thick swoosh that really made the effect sound like it was on everything, not just the bass. I find that of all of my effects the phase 90 is one of the more effective and really adding to the texture of the entirety of the song.

2. I agree. I went through many phasers, I rented a Phase 90 and was pleasantly surprised. Sold all my phasers and went with the 90 for my board.

armybass likes this.
  3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Recently got the Phase 99 - man, one 90 is great; two are extra excellent!!

armybass likes this.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I love the Phase90. It's probably my all time favorite effect to use. I really like the script version on bass, which is contrary to TB lore, but I just feel it has more depth in both directions. Coincidentally, I use one on Purple Rain as well when playing it with one of my bands!

armybass likes this.
  5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    IMHO it's the perfect effect pedal. One switch. One knob. Can't really make it sound bad.

6. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I went with an 80s EHX Small Stone Classic but it was either going to be that or the Phase 90. I use the Small Stone with the color switch off but both are really great pedals.